Waking rest

Lately, as I have begun my experiments on LD I have noticed something strange. When I am falling asleep I can focus on going up and down the same set of stairs while reciting the numbers up and down them. But once I fall asleep and conciousness is still intact I just lay there until my alarm goes off 5 hours later. And after that I fall into a deep sleep with no dream recollection. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or could it be my body/mind being stubborn.

Wait, you fall asleep after your alarm? :confused:

Getting only 5 hours of sleep could be a big part of your problem. You should be getting at least 8.

Are you sure you’re conscious all five hours? How can you tell that you don’t lose consciousness here and there? And are you sure you’re actually asleep, and not just deeply relaxed?

It seems to me very bizarre that you stay asleep and conscious during 5 hours. I don’t think it’s very common. I’ll move your topic into the Quest for Lucidity in the hope that more experienced LD’ers will see it.

Erm, you can’t fall asleep and still be conscious… (unless you become/are lucid)

5 hours long lying down and not sleeping is not good for your health. Maybe WILD aint your thing?

Some studies in sleep labs with insomniacs showed that they were actually falling asleep for short periods, but they weren’t remembering they had slept.

I had experience once where I woke up at 4:00 am I wanted to get back to sleep so I wouldn’t be tired for work. A while later I looked at my clock again and it said 5:20. At first I believed I had been awake continuously, but then a dream fragment popped in awareness. So it is easy to miss when we are sleeping.

I have found with some of my WILD attempts that I seem to stay awake for a long time without entering the dream. The key for me was to change my sleeping position.

Lastly, there is a Tibettan Yoga of Sleep which involves being conscious while in non-dream sleep. However this state is very hard to achieve and is praised for the transformative power. Descriptions of it don’t seem to match your experience.

I’m not really sure what happend but it hasn’t happend again. Also, I am an insomniac. I’m not sure if that would affect anything but you mentioned it.

I am using WILD which will usually keep me up for a while. Days that I have real problems sleeping I will smoke cannabis. Which will usually make me have poor dream recollection.

Er…don’t you think that doing that kinda pushes you away from your goal…?

Yeah, but my sleep and rest are more important than 1-2 lost nights of dreams.

…I mean doing marijuana?

You said it yourself, destroys your dream recall…

That’s because you enter the Light Sleep phase during your sleep, in which you [b] never [/b] remember that you had slept.

Are you absolutely sure? I know it has been proven that you can remember dreams, though it’s harder, during n-REM sleep phases, but I don’t know if there is a difference between the light sleep phase and the deep sleep phase.