People quit trying?

Why do people quit trying to have LD’s? I’ve been trying for months now, never had an LD and I can’t even remember a normal dream everyday :razz:

You can’t just quit. Something like this shouldn’t be expected to be learned in a few days. It take over a year, or more, to learn how to talk and that is something that you’d hear every day non-stop.

Think of your brain like a huge hospital, full of people waiting to get in based on the importance of their illness (but the people are thoughs). Other thoughts would be seen as more important than the dreaming thoughts, thus they are placed at the back. It’ll just take some time for them to get to the front.

If you don’t get it right away, don’t just give up!

Besides, why would you want to give up on something that would let you do whatever you want?

Some people are just lazy…that could explain a lot.

Agreed! I get frustrated when people consider giving up. Can’t say I’ve never felt that way myself, but I didn’t give up. LDing isn’t something that takes a huge time commitment–it just takes a lot of mental commitment.

I think people become disillusioned if they don’t experience enough LDs soon enough. They start to think that LDs may not actually be as great as they initially seemed to be, and that’s the big danger. Once your motivation drops, there’s little hope. You’ve got to remind yourself how great it would be to have a lucid dream and that you will have one sooner or later.

Sometimes to stop trying helps. If you are in a hole where LD’s just aren’t happening, it’s possible that you are trying to hard. Sometimes stopping for a while can really help.

I remember someone saying that here once, they quit trying and had an LD that very same night.

Don’t quit perminantly, but sometimes a month or two break from trying can really help.

I look at it this way: I’m 15. The average human lifespan is, I believe, 81 (but it’s sure to rise). So that’s 66 years in which I can try to have an LD. I’m sure I’ll have one in that time! :razz:

Also, I came across this site by chance. You don’t give away what life gives you for free… Unless it gives you something really bad :razz:

Good thinking Shadow, wise words beyond your age.

I know what you mean, it’s like, you can’t give up. Some people are more internally motivated than others. Thats the bottom line here. Basically, I think internal motivation is the key to life. There are two people in life. One is internally motivated, ie. has a set course of beliefs, develops new ones as he goes along. Then there is the second, the first’s alter ego: external motivation. Person one would only listen to what he actually believes in, rather than alterior things, like society or other people and their own beliefs. lol, I actually made a 1300 word essay on this topic earlier this year (I got an A-, so I thought that was pretty cool).

And although my argument is lazy, (and I want to be a writer, lol), the point is there. There’s a lot of people that have a combination of impatience, laziness, and negative thinking. Like, for instance, I’ve been working on lucid dreaming for a month now, I’ve gotten two LD’s which have lasted a total of 15 seconds. I’m happy with my progress, and I’m contented with the fact that things will improve with time. Unfortunately, some people don’t understand that a lot of things in life take time and commitment to achieve (maybe thats why theres so many more chubby people up here in Canada. I’m one to talk, however :razz:).

In conclusion, the world is a mans oyster, IF he/she believes it. Hows that for positive thinking :content:

i agree, though i am EXTREMLY angry at the lack of LD ive had for i think over a year now, i haven’t given up, not that im doing much anyway… still yet to have a single LD of any time range, and i have no idea what to do next. im basicly relying on my luck to get one since nothing i do seems to work.

perhaps it is jealosy, i loath entering a topic where the first thing i read is a complaint but they’re actualy HAVING LDs. i don’t know what’s stoping me, the voice that says i won’t ever LD or the thought of it not being what i expect it to be…

I’m now trying to LD when I take the occasional nap, on a busy day I’m just too exhausted to focus my mind on dreaming. Which reminds me, I recently re-discovered why I loathe the WBTB method, I wanted to throw my clock against the wall when it tore me from my peaceful slumber. :grrr:

Maybe I should just get a more subtle alarm (I have one of those obnoxious screeching beep alarms), or I could just set my stereo to wake me up with some nice relaxing music…hmmmm :eh: theres an idea…

I have all of them and I’m still able to have LDs :lol:

Good idea, I had many of my LDs during naps even without focusing on it.

Well, if you still havent had a LD after 2 months… Then i think its time to take a break… That usually leads tro your (in my case:D) first (low)LD!

lol ok here is something for you.

When i first started i didnt quit. i hated ppl that just gave up i mean hell you get out of this what you put it.

Then i got to a stage where i was having lucid dreams everynight ussaly 2 or more… that took years but hey thats good.

but then why did i suddenly decided to quit having lucid dreams ? :wink:

for almost a year i didnt bother with RT WILD MILD. i didnt come to any web sites with it or anything. My lucid dreams died off, to about 3 a week with out trying and then my dream recall died almost compleatly.

Why would i do that? i’ll answer that tomorrow but id like to c what any of u write first :happy:

Heh, for the last little while I had almost forgot about trying to LD (but I never quit). I’d just tell myself to remember my dreams, possibly have an LD. Last night I started this topic, so I figured I’d really try to have an LD.
Last night I tried to WILD when I went to sleep. Counted to 300 and got bored so I stopped and fell asleep (Really relaxed at this point.) In the middle of the night I woke up, and I tried to sleep again. I started to get creeped out from sounds that usually don’t bug me, and everytime I closed my eyes it felt strange. (This has happened before if I try a WILD before going to sleep.) I then told myself that i WILL remember my dreams, and I tried to fall asleep. I woke up later and clearly remembered a huge dream. The cool thing is, I could remembered EXACTLY where it ended.
Well, I know that most of this story doesn’t relate to the topic, but I felt like writing it. The point is, don’t give up! If I ever gave up, I would never have remembered this dream. Before I started this whole LD thing, I was lucky to remember 1 dream a month, and they were usually really small.