Myspace.com

Some quotes from the article:

Sounds to me more like censorship disguised as protecting teens.

The article says very little about how the content was “harmful” and why removing certain profiles helped to protect kids.

Hm, that profile didn’t look like a hoax…

Well, big chance it is though :tongue:

Paris Hilton a Lucid Dreamer :lol: :rofl:

No way ^^

I don’t think it would be a good business decision to do that.

Plus there aren’t enough laws governing the internet to hold them responsible for making such information available.

To me it’s an improvement and also a huge red flag.

Which reminds me. I made a profile for myself. I really made it to see what kind of content my daughter had in hers. I know, I’m sneaky and mean. But, this stuff is soooooo available to freaks and people take advantage of too much.

That is really my point. Simply removing content that some other person decides is objectionable does nothing to protect children.

In fact I think the new policy is actually more dangerous because it provides parents with a false sense of security. I don’t have to worry now because myspace is protecting my kid.

And if it isn’t yet another reason for her popularity. :gni:

I lucid dream of Paris Hilton, usually I’m finding new ways to torture or kill the… Sooo… anyways… Ummm… A lucid dreaming group eh?

Not really, but she could have a slight interest…

I agree and I don’t agree. If you can understand that. I still believe it’s a parent’s responsibility to follow-up on what their children are doing on the internet.

I do see where it would create a false sense of security though. That particular article was sent to me and although, I posted it as a ‘progress’. It was obvious that the new owners now are looking to make it have a more positive appearance. Not just for parents but for the kids as well. IMO, they see something like that and only the site has something to gain and that’s more profiles.

There also wasn’t enough information in the article itself to make me feel ‘comfortable’ but I do feel that it’s moving in the right direction. And if it’s just a scam then I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Myspace wasn’t originally designed for kids. You had to be over 18 to join, then 16, they loosened the registeration proccess altogether eventually since the majority ended up being kids faking ages, and set it so anyone under 16? was always a private profile and required you to be added as a friend to see/message the person.

While sites that claim to be safe for most ages, pg, pg-13 whatever they do need to actively look at all profiles and check everything. Which would never really be done as new members register constantly, thus relying on people to report issues.

But all in all it’s down to parents to ultimately control what their children are allowed to view in their home.

Yes I understand what you are saying.

Now I have never been to myspace so I do not really know what it is like or what kind of content is on it. But given the fact that the parent company that owns myspace is also the same company that owns fox news, my guess is that the content they removed was most likely posts they found objectionable due to political or “so called moral” issues and not to protect children. They simply used the excuse of protecting children to remove the content. Without such an excuse I doubt they could have gotten away with it. The community would never accept such an infringement on free speech. However, when clocked in the guise of protecting children the government or site owner can get away with anything, even infringing on free speech. They not only get to rid themselves of content they simply do not like, but they come out as heros for doing it. The sad reality is that noone is really protected.

The reality is that there is no way any website or forum can protect children. Look at ld4all. While at first glance it would appear to be perfectly safe for children. However, there have been very in-depth discussions here on everything from religion and sex to rape and incest. Moreover, we have a chat room and we can PM each other, both of which can give a would be predator the opportunity to connect with children.

We need to teach not only our kids, but ourselves as well, how to be safe in cyberspace. We can not rely on the government or site owner to do it for us. We all need to be careful how much information we put out on the internet.

Here, Here!!! As always, well put Milod.

I have a new “myspace” where I put some songs I did. It’s really not much, but I wanted to share it… :peek:

myspace.com/falseawake

Everyone add me! :smile:

Captain [xShawNx]

:razz:

The thing is, the site owner has the right to do anything he/she/it wants to regarding keeping/removing the content of the site, including what others have posted there. It can prevent users from posting specific things there (see any forum T.O.S. for an example), and can remove any content that violates this (again, something (almost) any forum moderator will do at one time or another). The community would have little say in this, except to boycott the site, which wouldn’t be very likely to happen.

But all that’s really beside the point. I don’t have a Myspace, and won’t get one for a number of reasons, but I’ve been on the site and know a number of people who have accounts. I don’t think it’s realistic to think the site owners can do anything to stop people posting personal information that can be taken advantage of. There will always be a system, and people will always abuse it. To quote something I’ve heard a number of times, you can’t legislate against stupidity.

hellooo anybody hava myspace page, maybe with a trippy dream type theme.

moved into already exisitng Myspace topic :moogle:

Put your myspace and/or facebook information here.

https://hs.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1273560830
That is my Facebook account, which I enjoy a lot more than Myspace.
I find that there are more mature people using it also.
Please feel free to send me a friend request, just let me know that you are a lucid dreamer. I would love to be able to talk to lucid dreamers on Facebook.

i do have a profile, you can search for it through my email. :slight_smile:

(i’ll accept anyone i actually know, anyone i talk to though PM, IRC, MSN etc).

but i digress. i’m posting here to tell people to change their privacy settings, hm? i just happened to ask facebook to search through my MSN buddy list for possible friends and hey, some 70% of the results were members from the forum who i haven’t talked to for, i don’t know, years. now, i have my own policy of not caring that people know my face and name (it’s a rather common name), but it occurred to me that it might not be the case for everyone in there.

and really. shame on facebook for that one. it’s the end for privacy! :S

so hi: if you have me or someone else from the forum on MSN and would rather they don’t see your face and learn your name, here’s a good piece of advice: go to the privacy settings (hit “privacy” on the blue bar, in the old interface, or mouse over “settings” and hit “privacy settings” in the new one), and tweak the search settings. (you might want to have a look at profile settings, while you’re at it).

last but not least, in case someone still doesn’t know about it, there’s an LD4all members group too.

myspace.com/migoogers

myspace.com/dryalantha
and facebook you can find me with ''Lindsay Vanhove"

If you want to add me, leave a message you are from LD4all cuz else I think you are a spammer and delete you. :shy: