HomeGuideFAQSearchMemberlistForumSupportStore
LD4all.com

Welcome to the archive! Log in
Meaning of Life?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     LD4all archive Forum Index »Philosopher's CloudGoto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayLight wrote:
I asked a DC in an LD last night what the meaning of life is, and he said "to think."

An activity which is becoming less and less common, in our world.

Somniologist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bullseye has got something there. To take care of earth does make sense, but as for ending a deer's suffering makes no sense, his end is the same.
It is written in Genesis in the Bible that God appointed man as the stewards of the earth, to also bring it under his submission, and to name and classify all the creatures on it. (Naming things, like that's a frog, that's a lion, etc.)

Oh yeah, it also mentions "go forth and be fruitful and multiply" or something like that. Generally meaning reproduce. I believe based on this, that we already live for the meaning of life, except for the pollution bit.

If you're expecting to have your meaning in life to be struck by lightning, speak in tongues, and go to hell with machineguns and kill satan, then get a life. I'm saying that nothing truly special will happen to you and make your destiny. God gave us the proverbial keys to his car named Earth and has let us to make our own destiny. Of course the great comission given in the new testament in the Bible updates that meaning with the "go into the world preaching to all nations baptising them..." you know it if you've read the book of John in the new testament.

Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrizimer wrote:
I think Bullseye has got something there. To take care of earth does make sense, but as for ending a deer's suffering makes no sense, his end is the same.

The idea of killing the deer is that it is the lion's prey/food, it needs to eat it anyway, you just have to accept it, but if you can make the deer's suffering less, then why not do it In this way we would be making the Earth more peaceful, with less suffering

Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that in nature, the only observers to the killing would be the lion and the deer. All the other deer ran off with their own selfish desire of self-preservation in mind, and nobody else is interested but the lion.

So how is some human gonna know to be around to finish off a deer, and that human being near the lion puts himself at risk of danger.

(Although in the times of Genesis in the garden of Eden, before sin entered the world, all creatures were vegetarian and roses didn't have thorns. Come to think of it, eating meat is a byproduct of the fall of man. Nature changed so that they weren't vegetarians. This isn't necessarily a penalty, but a reminder that once you go bad, you cant go back) (Where is the original garden of Eden?)(In the book of revalations there is a time mentioned when the deer and the lion can lay together again [as in they aren't natural enemies anymore])

This said, in a perfect world, the deer would be food in the first place. Hamburgers wouldn't exist, and veggies would be the menu.

Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's assuming that the tale of Genesis is true of course smile

....and the Garden of Eden is thought by some to be located in what was once Mesopotamia, which is now the same geographical location as Iraq, between the Tigress and Euphrates rivers....once again, that's only if you take Genesis literally.

Anyway, if Buddhism has taught us anything, it's that suffering is just another part of life, be it the deer's life, the lions like, our lives, etc. If a deer is caught by a lion, it's going to suffer, that's how life in the wild is. The lion isn't necessarily fulfilling any inherent purpose, it's just hungry, and following instinct which developed over hundreds of thousands of years. It's not really what you'd call a given purpose (if you take evolution literally wink).

Dream Deity

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't think life in general has any real meaning. In the most primitive sense I think the meaning of life is the same for all organisms even on the microscopic level. Our existence is motivated by the instinct of survival and the proliferation of the species. Thats my take on it.. eh

Dream Deity

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayLight wrote:
I asked a DC in an LD last night what the meaning of life is, and he said "to think."

I think that idea makes plenty of sense, despite the fact that it is so simple. Perhaps it was this DC's way of telling you to find that out for yourself?

Personally, I don't have an answer to this question. I'd rather just comment on what others have to say, if you don't mind.

rad wrote:
Honestly, I don't think life in general has any real meaning. In the most primitive sense I think the meaning of life is the same for all organisms even on the microscopic level. Our existence is motivated by the instinct of survival and the proliferation of the species. Thats my take on it.. eh

This is probably my closest thought on what the meaning of life is, at least from a scientific standpoint.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     LD4all archive Forum Index » Philosopher's Cloud All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

© pasQuale - donations greatly appreciated