Browsers/plugins/protection

I thought making a post about browsers/popupblockers and general online peace of mind seemed like a good idea. The purpose of this post is purely informational, please refrain from making it into a browser/AV/Firewall war.

What I’m hoping for this thread is a gathering of information on why you chose the browser/still use it and any plugins you use that others might find useful for general surfing, Advanced internet use (P2P) and online peace of mind again popups/spam etc.

What do you use? Why do you use them and why do you suggest them? And which type of user would you aim it at.

Browser: Mozilla Firefox mozilla.com
Originally I started using it for the tabbed browsing and inbuilt popup blocker back when it was called firebird in 2003. Since then I have remained using it for the added security, it offers over browsers like IE and it’s expandability with plugins and extentions. Mozilla use an open-source browser, which means the script is free to use meaning more people can create things for it and update, leading to nightly versions of the browser meaning better public updates on a regular basis.

Would you reccomend it: I would deffinately recommend this browser. Even McAfee suggests it.

Browser: Opera (free version) opera.com
This is my backup browser, again partically for the tabbed browsing, I prefer the layout and extendability of Firefox which is why FF is the main browser I use. Opera is based on the Mozilla source.

Would you recommend it: I would recommend this browser, although it would be my second choice.

Browser: Firebird
This is my last resort browser, it’s is the old version of firefox that is standalone (doesn’t need installing so I can litterally run it from a CD) Security wise it’s a little outdated, but useable as a short term “last resort”.

Would you recommend it: No. As I said it’s outdated security wise now. Last resort, or specific circumstances only.

Firefox Plugins.

There’s litterally hundreds of plugins/extentions for firefox, including wysiwyg page editors and spell checkers. Below is some I use. You can search for others on the main addons site addons.mozilla.org/?application=firefox

Adblock Plus bene.sitesled.com/adblock.htm

What it does: Pretty much what you’d expect. It allows you to block popups, but also it allows you to block banner/image ads on a webpage even the google syndicate text ads, iframes, and anything like that.

It allows you to block full ad-servers using wildcards. eg: .advertising.com/ < that advertising server is in the block list so no ads/popups will ever show on any webpage from them. Basically you can removed every single add from any site and never be bothered by them again. Also useful for blocking ads of an adult nature on otherwise friendly sites.

Who should concider this plugin: Any firefox user. It requires minimal skill to use, very straight forward.

NoScript noscript.net/whats

This allows you to manually chose which sites are allowed to run javascript. I think IE allows you to pick and chose, but their method is unneccessarily complex.

No scripts shows as a small icon on the bottom right of the browser status bar. Javascript is globally off, but allows you to temporarily or perminantly allow sites to run javascript.

Why this is useful: Some adware and popups use javascript to automatically install. So designating which sites can run it goes along way to help protect yourself. While Firefox does not allow anything to install by default, the odd advert can slip through.

Just remember, some sites like forums may require javascript.

Who should concider this plugin: The big websurfer. The average, site limited websurfer probably doesn’t need it, but could still find it useful. Usage is fairly straight forward.

IE View ieview.mozdev.org/

IE view ads a link in the right click menu to open pages/links in internet explorer.

I use this because I make webpages, it’s easier to check how it views in IE with one click rather than manually opening the browser and typing/copying the URL. I originally got it for websites that weren’t fully compatible with Firefox. I no longer have these issue and haven’t for some months.

Would I recommend it: Not any more. I personally don’t feel it’s a neccessary plugin now. However people who make webpages may find it handy the same reason I use it.

PDF Download rabotat.org/firefox/

A little plugin I use for PDF files on websites. It allows you to chose whether to open the PDF (adobe acrobat file), download it to the desktop or view it as html in a tab.

Who should concider it: Anyone who want’s options on how to deal with .pdf files on websites basically.

Show Image showimage.mozdev.org/

Show Image, is installed in most browsers by default. For some reason it was left out of firefox, but hopefully will make a future build. For the time being a plugin will have to suffice.
All it does is reload a single image that has failed to load on a webpage.

Who should concider this: Anyone.

Restart Firefox jedbrown.net/1.0/mozilla/extensions/

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Oh wait, that’s ronseal woodcare and varnish. Any way, adds a “restart firefox” button in the file options. Does what it says, closes firefox and restarts it automatically.

Who should use it: Anyone who updates/plays with extentions and plugins for firefox.

Adware Protection

Spybot: Search&Destroy spybot.info/en/index.html

Adware protection, I don’t think any real description is needed. Finds and removes adware on the system, also has an immunize feature to stop some from being able to be installed. Free - donations are accepted, but is free to use.

Who should use this: Everyone.

Ad-aware lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

Same as Spybot. I run both as each one finds things the other does not. Free and paid versions availible.

Who should use this: Everyone

Other

PeerGuardian 2 phoenixlabs.org/

Peerguardian is additional help for websites and peer to peer programs by blocking IPs of known bad things, ads, government IPs, etc etc. It works similar to a firewall, disallowing them to connect to you. This can slow down some sites if they have ads on them that PG2 wishes to block, but you can disable the HTTP blocking at will while keeping the rest of the program running.

Note, this is NOT a firewall and should not be used in place of one.

Who should use this: Any heavy P2P user or torrent downloader. Adds addition protection for the bad people.

Firewalls

Firewalls are a needed componant to any person who has internet access, hackers use IP ranges to find victims, they don’t need to ever meet you online just scan the IP range of your Internet Service Provider.

Firewalls block many things, from intrusion attempts to outright computer hacking attempts. There are a vast array of firewalls availible both free and paid. Some are software (you install them) others are hardware (built into your routers).

Zone Alarm: zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

ZoneAlarm is a fair firewall package and comes in varying price ranges depending on the product package. They also have a free version availible.

Would I recommend: I would recommend the Free version for people who can’t afford to by a firewall, it’s a fair firewall and works well. I would not recommend the paid versions for the following reasons: I have had issues installing it correctly, even on a new system. While it still works, it comprimises overall security. While many people don’t have this issue, I did and I doubt I’m the only one.

Sygate Personal Firewall Pro

One of the best I have ever used. Unfortunately Symantec (norton) have bought out sygate and the product is now defunct. I still use it but it is becoming obsolete as it ages.

Anti-Virus Software

Just like Firewalls, every system should have an up to date AV program.

McAfee 10 mcafee.com/

A good alround Virus software, it is a bit of a memory hog on the system, particularly when it’s doing an active scan. But Mcafee is the first I used and the one I came back to. It’s good at what it does and I’ve never had problems with it. (except when I uninstalled Mcafee 7 and it killed the internet.)

Mcafee is a paid product. As far as I know they do not do free versions. Mcafee also offer other products, including their own firewall.

Would I recommend this product: Yes.

AVG-Antivirus Software grisoft.com/doc/1

Another good Antivirus program, grisoft offer paid and free versions. Some things I prefer about AVG others I dislike. It does what it should. Doesn’t make the 2005 top ten however.

Recommended: Yes.

Other

grc.com/ A good site for news and tests for your firewall. Try running the shield up tools to test your firewalls effectiveness. [/b]