Blogging

Hello all. :smile:

Does anybody have any good advice on blogging? I’d really like somewhere to post stuff up without worrying about being too self-absorbed but also where other people can read and contribute and a personal blog would seem to be ideal for that.

Anybody with experience in this have any recommendations with regards places to open a blog, sites with advice on how to write one etc? Feel free to plug your own blogs while you’re here of course!

Thanks in advance!

Leb! :happy:

/me gives Leb a big hug before he even gets started in talking about blogging

Alright. If you want to set up a weblog and (a) your host doesn’t run ServerSide Scripts, (b) you don’t have a host or © you don’t know what I’m talking about, my personal recommendation would be to try Blogger. It’s the most efficient publishing tool up to date, it keeps its own backup, it offers you a host on blogspot if you don’t have your own homepage set up somewhere else, and if you do, it can upload your blog to your homepage automatically. Great tool.

If you do have a nice host and some free time to upload files, I’d recommend you tried to install WordPress. It will be run from your server. It has a myriad of nice features and gives you all the control you can possibly with for over your blog. In my opinion, it’s the best content managing script these days.

If you need help setting up stuff or anything, feel free to send me an e–mail or PM. :smile:

—Bruno :bruno:

I agree, but Blogger is tediously slow. It’s probably a decent site to start on, but… well, slow, which is annoying if you update often. I used to use it, but not anymore.

What do you use? :smile:

Hey Bruno. I definately picked option c) by the way! :grin:

Anyway I’ll just now go and browse around the sites recommended thus far. Looking forward to getting started on it!

I made my own website. :razz: It’s on 50webs, which is pretty good in my opinion simply because there are no ads. (And it’s fast). Of course, the other upside to having your own website is that there’s nothing stopping you from being as original as you want to (I did have to put some time into learning HTML, though - but it’s just like the BB code here except with brackets changed to arrow signs. :razz: ).

I havent started the blog yet but I’ve been delving into the “blogosphere” a little deeper. I have to say I’m very much looking forward to contributing in some small way to it.

[A blog I found which may be of interest to the Philosophers Cloud crew: maverickphilosopher.powerblogs.com/ ]

So I’m definately thinking blogger to start with but if anyone else has any further tips to offer that’d be great. :smile:

If you need a blogging partner to share a blog with, I’m available. :cool:

I’m curious Leb, what’s your blog going to be about?
If you want to keep it a secret until your blog is up and running I understand :peek:

Well ta-da! The first entry is up and online here:

within-the-frame.blogspot.com

It’s a nice feeling, to have some web-space all of your own (although obviously I don’t object to people leaving comments). S’gonna be fun.

Josh, I suppose I intend it to be a general blog but of course there will be content on a lot of the things I’m interested in (rap/hip hop, ID vs Evo etc etc).

Oh and anyone else here could consider this thread somewhere to advertise their blog?

EDIT: “mortal shell” is supposed to be “mortar shell” btw, if you didnt guess. Looks like I’ll be editing my blog posts as often as I did my posts here. :content:

Since links to personal blogs have been placed in the topic … I have now moved the topic to the gathering forum :smile: