Trying to quit smoking

Maybe, my parents never minded when I drank as long as they knew where I was and that I was safe, and of course now, I don’t even like drinking that much :content:

Depends, of course. My parents actually don’t mind if I smoke. They say I’ll puke and end up hating it anyway. I’m not going to do it, anyway. Kills my already asthmatic lungs and is bad for tennis. :razz:

Anyway, I’ve been following this story for a while and I never realized just how difficult it could be for some people to quit the addiction. Just don’t quit on yourself, there, DayLight! :smile:

In my personal experience, sports help. Working out, running, bicycling. It makes you feel good and healthy and psychologically it makes it easier to stay away from cigarettes because smoking and being sportive and fit are totally contradicting. Also things like running produce a “high”, and the endorphins that cause this high are a good substitute for smoking because nicotine also creates an elevation in endorphins.

:sadyes: That has got to be one of the most disgusting things ever. I smoke cannabis occasionally, and I think that happens with cannabis because it is an expectorant. I found it so gross, and it made such an impact on me, I actually drempt about it a few times.

I had a smoke last night, but I think I’m back on track…It’s getting hard… :bored:

I’ve been trying to get my mom to quit smoking like forever, but no luck. I wonder how much second-hand smoke I’ve inhaled over the years :bored:

Hang in there, Daylight! It might be tough, but don’t give up! :happy:

Good luck man.I’m smoking as well and i can tell you that it’s not that you want to smoke it’s cause (for me at least) you don’t have anything else to do,so if it comes to you again try to find something to do instead of smoking,and of course it’s because you’re used to it.
When i have nothing to do,i just take the pack of cigars and light one,then i think "why am i smoking??"and then i just think “I light it so i’ll do it!”
The other prob is that you don’t have a good DR.
F.e:It’s time i do a cigar before i go to sleep,i don’t remember not even one of my ND.When i don’t smoke ,i remember at least two of them.
So again good luck from me ,maybe some time i’ll try again to quit smoking :shy:

I’ve never had a poor dream recall problem with smoking, mabye it’s because you smoke more(you appear to be smoking cigars and I smoke cigarettes).

My parents are like that as well, and i never ever smoked a cigarette :tongue:

I also know of someone who handed their 8-9 year old daugther a cigarette when she asked about how it feels. Well, she never smoked again.

Sorry fir the off-topic question,but what is the difference between cigars and cigarettes?I smoke pre-made cigarettes(camel,prince,etc) not pot.

I really don’t know what difference there is in tobacco cultivation and production, the only ones I know are the obvious one, like cigarettes are filtered, cigars are not, cigarettes are smaller, etc.

I think cigarettes are also more ‘processed’ than cigars; more chemicals added, etc. I also seem to remember hearing that good cigars are hand made, so they don’t have all those bi-products and chemicals in them…of course, that doesn’t make them a healthy alternative to cigarettes :tongue:

Somethign i have been wondering about.

Was the indians peace pipe dangerous ?

Is tobacco plant itself harmfull ?

moved to lounge from tools and merged into the quitting smoking topic

Hey all,

Recently i quit smoking. I have tried cold turkey many times in the past, all of which failed. So this time i thought ‘why not try the patches’.

So all patched up a cigarette free i quit. The second night i was on the patches i noticed a distinct improvment in the clarity of my dreams and my ability to recall them. Normally i only remember one dream a night.

On thinking further about why the sudden increase in my ability i theorised that maybe the patches had some influence. So i changed my routine and started to place a fresh patch on just before i go to sleep and Bingo! the patches work.

I don’t know whether this is purely a unique result worth something only to myself, but i thought it’s worth a mention.

And for me personally and EXTRA reason to give up smoking. any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mo

It’s interesting that you mentioned this :smile:
I once asked a man about this at one of the stores around here which sells mostly First Nation (Indian) souvenirs, tobacco and other herbs, etc. He told me that Tobacco was only smoked at important cerimonies by a select few people. If someone wanted to just have a smoke, with no special cerimony or anything going on, they’d smoke what is called K’nic K’nic (I don’t think I’ve spelled that correctly :shy: ), which is made of leaves from fruit plants (blueberries, bear berries), willow bark, and other things like that. The reason is because tobacco was a scared plant, only to be smoked at an important event.
So, I don’ know if it is any less harmful (I would think so since they didn’t add any chemicals to it), however it was smoked much less than people smoke cigarettes today.

Im sure we had that topic somwhere allready.Youre not only one experiencing such effects.But it seems it works better with people who dont smoke- if youre smoker and use patches the change is not so significiant.
good luck there:)

:hmmm: Jack, I beg to differ. I was a smoker for three years and recently quit, using the patch, as some of you know. The vividness of my dreams for the first few nights doubled, as did my recall.

Not at all. Before the forum rules changed, we were alowwed to talk about any substance we wanted, as long as it pertained to dreaming(will this thread stay…i wonder…). There were many threads on nicotine patches. It seems to have a GREAT effect on dreaming, but watch out, because although nicotine in itself is a fairly safe chemical(it is all the other stuff they put in cigarettes that kill people, not nicotine), it is the addictive chemical, so non-smokers who use the patch may become addicted. Watch out for yourslef. Know your body.

Try those patches. Stick one over each eye and ye can’t find your cigs!

My stepmother is using the Nicorette Inhalator to stop smoking. As far as I know she doesn’t smoke and hasn’t since before christmas. While I don’t think it’s working as a cure to the adiction, at least others don’t have to put up with the smell or passive smoking.

Ok.

But if for instanse there were lots off wars and peace.

hehe , the leader would HAVE TO bring peace cause he was addicted :grin:

Yes,we do agree.You have quit before applying the patches.All fine:)
I meant people who still smoke and even then use patches dreamwise.
Good luck:)

It sure aint healthy even in a peace pipe. But i think the dangers of smoking these days are severely overrated. It is definitely a very harmful addiction if you smoke everyday like most people do these days. One of the things that is most hyped up these days are passive smoking, which is mostly just bullshit propaganda from anti smokers. :grrr: They go as far as saying it is harmful to stand next to someone who smokes outside in the free! I feel sorry for the people who actually believe that crap.