Philotic Rays, ansibles, and the dream connection.

This idea is easy to present if
A. You’ve read up on shared dreaming
B. You’ve read Ender’s Game
C. You know how quantum mechanics and quantum entanglement works

I’ll link the wikipedia definition:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philote

While it is fiction, ansibles are poossible. If you split a subatomic particle, both parts of it will be connected in a way that if you spin one half, the other half will also spin. Suppose however that the philotic connections proposed in the wikipedia article from Ender’s Game is a valid model to explain the ability to have shared dreams. That is, people you know you develop a philotic connection to and thus make it more likely or easier to have a shared dream.

It is just BS fiction. Don’t think too hard about it. Just an idea…

Can you explain me how those phylotes work? I didn’t understand the explanation given in the article…

If I only had the book itself…

The wikipedia ansible describes how this device was meant to function:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiua_%28Ender%27s_Game%29

This intelligent philote called an Aiua is able to form connections with people you’ve met. The better you know the person, the stronger the connection. Supposedly this will increase the likelihood of Shared Dreams in my model. It is independent of distance in theory.

The philotes are connected to each other by going outside of space to a place called the “Outside” and then back into space on the other side. Kinda like a wormhole. So these philotes should be in theory what is responsible for telepathy. This isn’t necessarily true, just a model to describe the mechanics of Shared Dreaming based on what I’ve read in the forums.

Something like that has been proven for photons recently. It’s possible to transfer key properties from one particle to another without a physical link.
Link towards the article.
And it seems that if two photons are issued from the same particle and you change the properties of one, the other will be modified too (perhaps the same experiment indeed). I’ve thought like you that it could perhaps explain telepathy.

It’s funny that Orson Scott Guard invented this before it was found. :smile:

I wonder if scientists have discovered such setups in our brains to enable the ansible effect. I doubt it is simply our brains’ electric fields interfering.
edit: I read the article. I read something similar, but it was about using quantum entanglement with something other than light. I don’t know. The ansible effect isn’t so far from the truth.

Scientists have not yet discovered such a thing in our brains.

Now it seems that Orson Scott Guard found his inspiration in the “Ummits” theories. Ummits are are said to be extraterrestrials who have transmitted in the 70’s some knowledge to humans. :grin: They “wrote” tons of letters and explained how the cosmos works. Their particles have funny names like IBOZOO UU, so it not so different from AIUA (this could have been an ummit name by the way). Indeed they “say” that they have a OEMBUAW, that is a sort of telepathic receptor which is made of radioactive krypton atoms in their ADN.

Not so different from OSG’s theories, but all this is not very scientific… and it’s another story! :wink:

Are you sure you didn’t mean Orson Scott Card? you called him Orson Scott Guard!

Otherwise, where did you find this “Ummit” theory?

Oops! I didn’t remember exactly his name! :peek: I just have read one book of his and there was a long time ago.

It’s better known in France and Spain than in the english speaking world, because it began in Spain, then it was made into a book about 15 years later by the french scientist Jean-Pierre Petit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ummo
You generally only can find those “letters” in spanish. Some have been translated in french. But Ummits don’t speak english. :tongue:

Update: I found the Ummit letters-translated into English.
You cand get them here: https://my.fit.edu/~cthomas/word6-english.zip

I found these on a spanish site, and there was one hyperlink in english that mentioned an english translation. So I’ve read alot on their evolutionary theory. That 86 Krypton atom thing is interesting, but have scientists varified this? There weren’t many google search results for this.

There has been no researches about.

[size=100]Personally, I hold a pretty strong belief in this theory… Not necessarily Card’s, but the idea of communication through dreams in general. Though that could be due to the fact that I’m naive enough to believe the possibility of anything, until proven impossible beyond even conventional science. =P

I’ve heard enough stories of this phenomenon occurring with either twins, or people who are very close to put some stock in it. The chances of it being a crazy coincidence, of two people having the exact same dream, from opposing perspectives are infinitesimal when compared to the idea of communication in this manner.

What we really need to do is put it to the test. Pair off, and attempt to speak to each other via LD. I’d take part, but… I still even attained lucidity yet, myself. =|[/size]

Don’t worry P. N. Guin, I’ve been around the scene for 5 months and still can’t control LDs. You need two people who have perfect mastery of LDs to do this, but none of us do.