Abortion. Your thoughts?

I honestly think that abortion should be left to choice of the woman who is pregnant. She should take into consideration all things from what is best for her and would she be able to provide for this child is she lets it be born into this world. Also i think that if she decides to as some may say “kill” this unborn baby, it shouldnt be just for “i dont wanna have a kid.” it sounds bad but we really dont need any more poverty stricken children or families in america or any other place in the world. I really prefer that people think of all considerations. I dont believe you should keep a baby because you got pregnant especially if you cannot provide for the baby, why would you give a child a predestination to suffering for being born? It is better to allow for choice. i know im sort of pushing my vews on everyone and if i offended you then im sorry, but i want to know what would give you the right to say that this child must be born? I have heard that most women (please correct me if im wrong) will keep the baby because they were the ones who nurtured and brought it into the world.so yeah i dont belive you should make someone keep a baby that they arent ready for or cant provide and keep healthy i would think death before realization then death after realization of existence would be better and more humane. (if it is even death. what constitutes life? breath? or heart?)

What gives you the right to say that this child must not be born? The inconvenience of taking responsibility for your actions? The ignorance card is not an excuse, it is a failure on the part of the individual to educate themselves. If you knew that you wouldn’t be able to support a child in the first place the why did you bother becoming pregnant? What’s done is done. So what if the child doesn’t grow up being richie rich or average joe, some of the greatest minds have come from humble upbringings. Money or nice posessions doesn’t necessarily make you a better person. I am for abortion (in the early stages and under certain circumstances), but too many people are abusing this right.

BTW, science observes life even on the microscopic level, even if it is just a single cell organism without a brain.

i do agree that in the end the woman is to decide if she wants to keep the baby or not… however what i think more about is the decission to keep the baby, i mean that if she would want to keep the baby BOTH parts has to agree… i mean, woman could abuse this, they go to parties and trick men into having sex with them, they say their on the pill but their not, and then if she gets pregnant she says that she want to keep the child… this would put the man into a very tricky situation… i once thought i was in this situation until i found out she tricked me the day after :grrr: she pulled a prank at me one night and i didnt sleep, said she was pregnant and that she would keep the baby… so conclusion is, if the girl wants abortion it should be all up to her, if she wants to keep the baby both parts HAVE to agree on it…

It is her body. If you didn’t/don’t want a baby, then use birthcontrol such as condoms!
Geez… what is it with people these days? pushing responsibility onto the other…
Birthcontrol is the responsibility of both parties! If a woman doesn’t want to get pregnant, she can use the pill, and if the man doesn’t want to become a father yet, he can use a condom.
Second of all, if you have that casual sex at parties with women that ‘trick’ you into it, I suggest you use a condom anyway. The pill doesn’t protect against sexually transmitted diseases, a condom does!
Also, I think you have a very crude, single-minded view on women. And if you talk about ‘abusing’ it, then you could say that men could do the same thing by using a faulty rubber, knocking the women up without taking responsibility in the end.
If you don’t want to run any risk of getting a girl pregnant:
then don’t have sex!
Since no birthcontrol, other than abstinence, is 100% safe anyway.
If you can’t take responsibility for your own actions (which seems to be the case in the ‘feelings…’ topic as well), then you aren’t mature enough to have sex anyway imho.
Sex is a mutual thing. Anything that comes from it, is a mutual responsibility.

Do you have any idea btw how stressful, traumatic and risky an abortion can be for a woman?
By saying that keeping the baby is something both parties should decide on, you see yourself as being more important than her, and thus making a stronger decision over her life as well.

Honestly I think ultimately I and no one else is in the position to choose what is morally right for someone else. I think people should have the choice on whether to have an abortion or not, but personally I would never be okay hearing that someone has.

Also, I am sick of people telling me you can’t be pro-life and pro-choice…to me they are two separate things. Pro-life is believing that an abortion should not be the answer in any case and pro-choice is beliving people should have a choice whether or not to commence in an abortion or not. Sorry…I hope I made sense…

rad i do agree with you.

I wasnt just saying that they do need to “Kill” them. I didnt argue your side of the arguement but i have thought of it. So dont think im close minded or any such thing. Yeah Fixato i agree the women do decide if they have sex or not and if they dont use protection then if they get pregnant it is their fault.

Then you don’t agree with me.
Please read what I said more carefully.
Sex is a decision of BOTH (even though the man usually is sooner ready to have sex, the decision to have sex is still one you BOTH have!). Just like using protection is a decision of BOTH!
A woman can use the anticonception pill (which only prevents getting pregnant (with a protection percentage of around 99%)) or a female condom such as femidom if she also wants protection against STD’s.
Other forms of anti-conception include a diaphragm, spiral or nuva-ring. The first two have a lower protection percentage than the pill though, while the latter is reasonably new, but said to have the same protection as the pill.

if a man doesn’t want the woman to get pregnant, it is HIS OWN responsibility to use a condom (or in long term relations and no wish of having children at all: a vasectomy).

Getting pregnant isn’t a ‘fault’, it is a choice (apart from getting pregnant from rape or the small chance of contraceptive failing).

And if you decide on just using the condom and not the pill as backup in a relation, and you notice the condom has been ruptured/leaking (which usually is a result of misuage…), then there is always the morning-after pill.

Imo abortion should be allowed under conditions:

• it should not be tolerated if it is the result of willing (so with rape it is okay), unsafe sex. If both parties decided on unsafe sex, then that is their choice; abortion shouldn’t be used as a form of post-contraceptive.
  • Alternatives should’ve been looked at; there are still a lot of couples who just can’t get pregnant, but still would like to have a child they can call their own to raise.
  • The person shouldn’t be gone too far. I don’t feel like going into the debate of what/when a baby can be called a living humanbeing or not, here and now…

Having a too bad environment to raise a child is most of the time a bad excuse; if you were in a bad position to raise a child, you shouldn’t have had unsafe sex in the first place.
If you got in a bad situation after you got pregnant, then it depends… and alternatives should’ve been looked at as well; there are some supportive organisations in most countries in those situations.
The father not accepting his paternal responsibilities isn’t reason enough either… imo those persons should be prosecuted in some way for not accepting those responsibilities. But that is another topic…

Agree for most part but saying “if you were in a bad position to raise a child, you shouldn’t have had unsafe sex in the first place” is …dont know…unreal.
Firstly even with safe sex theres allways the risk.Therefore poor people shouldnt have sex at all.Theres also question of education- great percentage of people is not aware of morning pill and also believe in church way of calendar method.
Its not a question of “can you?” but " do you want to?".
Theres no general rule-it all depends and best persons to say wheter its better to have a child or abortion are the couple in the situation.
If the society does not give them this right ,then society should take responsibility for it(or goverment).

I don’t want to get into the last one, but the first three I’d like to address.

First off, I like the idea of not being able to have an abortion if you didn’t use any birth control, but I don’t see how you can verify that. Lie detector test? Honor system? It’s possible, but It would be hard.

Also I agree that alternatives should be looked at, and I believe that they are looked at at present, but some people don’t want to give birth, and while I think that that is pretty selfish, it’s going to happen.

OK. If you’re having a third term abortion, you aren’t having it because you changed your mind. You’re having it because your life may be in danger if you have the baby. I think that you should be able to abort any time that you learn that childbirth would kill you, and I don’t even want to talk about the birth defects issue, because I don’t know where I stand on it and I have to really weigh that myself.

If they refuse other birth control to use the rhythm method (church way), then it is very unlikely they would even consider an abortion.
Also if the opinion of many is the woman’s right to choose … why is it mainly males posting in this topic?

mm alright ill start reading more.

Dont know why mostly males take a voice here,seems important to us.Thats why from the first post i was for abortion made possibile and no laws regulating it- let the couple decide.
We have it illegal in Poland- result is more and more babies found in thrash cans and other scary stories.Not mentioning tragic conditions in orphans houses and such.
Freedom bases on choice.With no choice and people left to themselves tragic things happen.

Unfortunately that is true Jack.

A desperate human with no ‘legal’ choices can sometimes do very sickening things.

With full free choice, even worse things will happen.
It will be very likely that people will decide to ‘save money’ and not use contraceptives… since if they get pregnant, they can ‘just’ have an abortion…

There are regulations and conditions for a good reason…

It is even more important for the potential baby! So you want murder (ie abortion) on demand with no laws to protect the innocent.

I’m personally against abortion. I believe that it should be illegal, but the morning after pill should be legal.

This subject is actually affecting me at the moment because I got my girlfriend pregnant and next week she is having an abortion. I have tried to talk to her about the option of keeping it but she isnt really listening.

I do not want a baby at this age but I think abortion is worse than having to go through a little bit of a struggle to raise a kid.

I personally cant see much of a difference between abortion and premeditated murder.

She got pregnant because she forgot to take her pill 1 day and didnt tell me about it, and we just continued having sex like normal. It definatly wasnt planned.

I suppose I do believe in free choice because I dont know what many girls/women who have gotten abortions have been through or the situations they face. All I can say is I personally could never get an abortion if the desicion was 100% in my hands.

Moogle- i dont want to murder anyone:)Im not voting for abortion but for a choice.Just dont see any sense in abortion being illegal because i can often see that abortions are done anyways- in bad conditions by self called doctors.
It is illegal in my country but its not big trouble to have it.
Whats the point in such law?
On the other hand i see how poor education system is and how much taboo around sex.
Therefore i propose people who are against abortion to make some kind of international support homes and take care for those unwanted babies.Not just to say “lets make it illegal” cuz it solves nothing.
Having it illegal creates misery,while legality puts in on the surface when at least woman can have it in proper,not life threatening conditions.This way theres one more living person instead of one dead baby and either dead or hurt mentally and phisically mother.

I’m sorry to hear about you situation, I really am, but although I haven’t been through it, I think that your comment about “a little bit of a struggle” is an understatement. A kid is a huge responsibility. He/she is a live being with feelings and you are the one who is supposed to take care of them. You need to be there both physically, mentally and financially.
I believe people have right to have a choice - pro or against, whichever way they want to go, but if they do decide to keep a child, give that child a good home.

About why mostly men post in here, I think maybe one of the reasons might be that it seems like there are more men on this forum in general (or am under the wrong impression?). Another might be that this thread is about a “touchy” subject, and people might get critisized here. And (I’m very sorry for stereotyping here, it’s just an idea, I’m a girl too lol) I think that some girls might be a little more sensitive to critisism than some guys.
Another reason could be that this subject might be more “personal” for some women. After all, we are the ones giving birth and having abortions. Of course, men are part of it too, but in the end, we are the ones who have to go through it physically.

I agree that the reason is probably due to the male population on the forum. Perhaps it is also because men will never have to put their bodies on the line for such a procedure, so they can afford to be more opinionated in their responses. A female on the other hand, would probably tend not to jump the gun and decide whether she was completely for–or against abortion. Just my .02 :shrug:

I agree with Jack—making abortion illegal won’t solve thing. I’m not in favour of choice all the time. I’ve made my point about that before. I don’t think it’s fair to waste lifes like this. But to solve the abortion problem (from the political point of view, that is), allowing/forbiding is just the first of many steps a government must walk.

I think abortion should be talked about in schools. It really is, at least here in Brazil, one big taboo.