Dream Journal Forever?

Recently I have started to keep a dream journal and after only a week my dream recal has gone from about remembering a few details of a dream once a week to having much more vivid dream every night. What I want to know is to keep remembering dreams at this level will I have to keep a journal for the rest of my life or will I eventually be able to do without it?

As long as your motivation is still there, you should be able to maintain better recall. But DJing helps improve your recall even more because it:

1. alerts your subconscious to the priority of dreams
  2. gives you a way to analyze and compare dreams

Remember that dreams are very easily forgotten, even if you initially remember them very well. A great dream may fade from your memory substantially within a few days, and only writing the dream down (or recording a description) will jump-start your memory.

Besides, DJing doesn’t take that much effort. Just a few sentences and phrases in the morning or whenever you wake up.

When I write a DJ I have almost complete recall sometimes over 10 dreams a night.

I’ve been really lazy lately and havnt been paying much attention or keeping a DJ. Ive had a lot to think about and I’ve been very busy with other things.

I’ll only remember usually 1 major dream in a night, the most entertaining, if I’m lucky ill recall 3.

You’ll probably find that remembering dreams is not so much a problem (as long as you set your intention and write in your journal) as much as getting a little bored with them. Sounds strange I know, but I go through stages every couple months where I get a little bored with my dreams and neglect my DJ for a month or two. I’m just coming out of one of these stages now. It helps to find ways to keep your dream journal interesting - introduce a new element; start colour coding, code dreamsigns, make statistics from your past months/years of dreams, or even sketch a couple dreams.

Thanks Snape, I had never thought of drawing my dreams! That would be a great idea. I am not very artistic but I love drawing for some reason.

I write in my DJ every morning, and I can remember 2 dreams in average each day.
I also like reading my dreams, and thinking about what I would do if I were lucid in them.
You are then basically increasing your motivation and your recall, so I guess that’s a big fat plus. :mrgreen_hat:

Some dreams become very vivid, but some doesn’t.
If you can’t remember exactly how the dream went on, make something up!
But you don’t want to go to far, just so it matches with the dream.

And by recording dreams, you concentrate your mind to remembering them, and maybe 2-3 weeks later, you have all your dreams in a book, and by reading them, you can recall them in a minute or two. :read:

Those who doesn’t record them can only remember 7 + or - 2 dreams (the magic number), unless they try really hard to remembering the dream, making sequences and stuff.
So the best thing to do is record the dreams.

It’s you who experienced them and you can recall them back easily by reading.
(Uncle Sam Smiley who points at you!)

I hope I make myself clear,
good luck.

I kept a DJ for about a year, and have stopped lately, and my DR has suffered a bit, but I still remembeer 2 or 3 good ones every morning.

I get lazy sometimes and dont write in my DJ. It sure helps though. Like what some people said draw it. Even make a poem or a song. Whatever floats your boat…

Short and simple: no. But you should keep something to motivate you remembering dreams every single day. If you don’t want to keep a journal, find yourself someone you trust and tell them your dreams every day. It’s a really nice thing to do. Alternatively, you could try to use your dreams to make art. I don’t know. go wild. Just keep the motivation. :smile: