ALARM!!! (PestTrap)

added (PestTrap) to title to make the subject matter clearer
Beware of a new anti-spyware package called PestTrap. You may hit a site that generates a popup with a message like this:

Attention! Your system is under control of remote computer
with IP address 227.4.167.118. The remote computer has access
to the following folders on your PC:

• \WINDOWS\System32
  • \Program Files\Internet Explorer
  • \My Documents
  • Drive C:\ files
    Click here to download official anti-spyware software

You’re putting your computer at risk if you go to the website, especially if you’re running Internet Explorer.

i’ve got it now and i my homepage keeps changing to perfectedsecurity.com
DO NOT GO THERE, you’ll be infected
if you get infected you can try to remove it using spyware doctor from 2-spyware.com/re….

Thanks a lot for the warning. I’ve never seen a pop-up like that before, but then again, I never see pop ups period! YAY, McAfee!!! :yay:

yea, well, i got McAfee, but i’m infected, still

Removal of PestTrap:
Kill processes:
pesttrap.exe

Delete registry values:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\PestTrap

Delete files:
pesttrap.exe

Delete directories:
C:\Program Files\PestTrap

You might want to try SpySweeper from webroot. webroot.com/

It’s a paid program but there is a free trial, should remove it for you it’s one of the best out there.

//McAfee doesn’t always stop spywear like this, PestTrap is a lame “fake” anti-spywear program that gives you popups in order to try and make you buy the commercial version (which doesn’t even work anyways) McAfee does not register it as being bad or harmful, at least for the time being.

Best thing to do is check out a program through google before installing it if you know nothing about it, or just don’t install it.
Spybot, adaware, Spy Sweeper (paid) and 3 of the best programs.

allso, it is said to hijack your computer if you go to one of the links on there, spyware doctor is said to help but you need to look for a serial key to remove the items

You can ask here. That’s how I cleaned up my machine.

it relinks to the homepage, which isn’t much use

:confused:

Go to the “Malware Removal” subforum?

i know, but inside there:P

The website pops up, you say? I’ve had that happen to me, but it should be obvious that something is spyware when it pops up unexpected telling you that it will get rid of Spyware. That is, especially if it has a lot of flashing and blinking lights to get your attention. It’s important to use common sense when it comes to that.

i’ve gotten serious trouble, does someone have a way to crack spyware doctor?
my explorer.exe doesn’t start annymore:’(
(or anny other spyware removal software which removes pesttrap for that matter)

I reccomend Spybot (search and destroy), it’s free and awesome … gets rid of practically all spyware, and creates a fake bot in its place so your pc doesn’t decide to crash

fake bot?

it sais: Je hebt Ad-aware geïnstalleerd.
Als je de Ad-aware optie hebt ingesteld die je in staat stelt om binnen archieven te scannen, dan kan Ad-aware bestanden in de SpyBot-S&D map vinden. SpyBot-S&D bevat geen spyware, maar het maakt back-ups van alles wat je repareert (totdat je die back-ups van de Herstel-lijst verwijdert), en Ad-aware maakt stennis over die back-ups. Je kunt ze zonder problemen negeren.
in dutch
in english that means: ad-aware whines about spybot because it makes backups from spyware blablabla

o right, so it clashes with your ad-ware program? …

yea spybot creates a fake version of the spyware, so the spyware “thinks” its still there. when in reality its removed and nullfied

cool, but my explorer still doesn’t work

Don’t you have from somewhere else to access internet?A friend or school machine??I don’t know how you can download it but i think it some kind of a SAVE button to save it on the pc,and then a usb-flash driver or a copy of a cd.I don’t know much of computer so these are the things i can tell you.

ehh, i’m on the broken computer right now:P

i DO know stuff about my computer you know

now where is that ORIGINAL truitslapping smiley…

goes to look

YAY!!! i’ve got a new windows, i’m back!!!

:hurray: I’m glad it’s all sorted out now