Huh? Eye twitching?

I don’t know if this is normal, but I hope it is. I was trying WILD last night, and for the first time, my eyes just started twitching like crazy.

I was concentrating on the images that appeared before me, and as they got more intense, my eyes suddenly started spazzing on me. I just kept my eyes closed and still continued concentrating, but this twitching feeling occurred for about 2 minutes at it’s most instense, and maybe another 2 minutes at it’s least intense.
It seemed whenever I could ‘see’ images appear in the darkness behind my eye lids, and whenever the images became more clear, the twitching speeded up.
It was completely weird. And at the peak of the twitching my heart was beating quickly and I was breathing heavier.

I understand though, many people feel a tingling or some sort of sensation over their entire body, right? I couldn’t feel anything happening in my body, just my eyes.

Also, I got a little frustrated later on in the night when the technique wasn’t working too well. I kept getting an itch and was forced to move out of relaxation. Not to mention I couldn’t sit still without motion for a long time.

So, has anyone ever heard of this first thing I mentioned? As well, does it matter if you’re facing up, on your back, or laying on your stomach? I’m usually a stomach sleeper, however it’s better for me to concentrate and relax when I face upwards (but then I get uncomfortable with the lack of motion as I mentioned).

Thanks. :smile:

To me, that sounds like you were witnessing Rapid Eye Movement - I never knew it was possible to witness the REM period of sleep until you brought this up. Other than that, I don’t have anything to say, other than this might be a sign that you are close to succeeeding at WILD! :good:

I was wondering if it had to do with REM, but since I wasn’t sleeping, I wasn’t sure if this is something that can just happen while you’re still awake.

Hmm… This is weird because that was pretty much the sum of my night trying WILD and then after what you mentioned I just had to lie awake the rest of the night. Strange because when the eye thing happend to me I figured it was my two “sets” of eyes giving my brain input.

I don’t know though, maybe someone who has more experience could help out with this?

Mhhh… Seems to me that what you saw was HI(Hyonagogic Imagery, or something like that xD)

No offense, but I don’t think that was Christina’s question. :wink:

I’m sure the twitching is natural. Maybe it only happens for some people. Granted, I cannot begin to explain what it is. But I wouldn’t worry.

I believe it is possible to stay conscious through all of the stages of sleep. It is normal for that to happen.
What did the images look like? And did you use WBTB with the WILD attempt?

I dont know if it is REM or not like has been said before.

I could be wrong but I thought that the rapid eye movement that you see if you were observing someone in the REM stage , comes from which way their eyes are looking in the dream. Not just random twitches, but their eyes move with how they move their head/eyes in the dream.

If that is correct, then Id say that what you experienced was somethin else entirely.

I think that is normal if you concentrate too much. That always used to happen to me, sometimes still does (I also get the body parts twitching if I try to fall asleep while sitting :razz: ). Just relax your face a bit more, that’s what I do.

Well the first times yoy try WILD its normal have such things.

When i began WILD i had strange things, like a very high heartrate, increased breathing eyes twitching etc.
Its all because you dont know whats happening and get excited/nervous/scared.
Keep doing the technique and youll see that youll get used to them and it will go away.

I have an other problem though. Whenever i’m close to enter sleep, I begin to see flashes etc etc, then my eyes move down, like im trying to watch the tip of my nose with my eyes. This makes my eyes hurt and they begin to tear(is this the good word?) which completely breaks my concentration.
It seems to happen almost automatically, i can’t seem to prevent it.

Anyone tips?

As soon as i read that i thought REM, but since its already been brought up, i shall bow out gracefully…

Interesting, thanks for the replies everyone.

See when this happened, it was maybe 3 am, I wasn’t that tired, and I wasn’t doing WBTB. I just went to sleep late.
I’ve tried WILD before, but I don’t think I was doing that good of a job of it. The one I tried recently when the twitching happened, I’d been reading more about the technique. Right when I went to bed, I laid for a couple minutes, and concentrated. All of a sudden it just started happening.

I tried the following nights, but it hasn’t happened since. I guess it could be because this was a good solid attempt on WILD compared to my other attempts and perhaps I just reacted oddly. :eh:

One of the first times I tried WILD’ing, I had a terrible eye twitch. I blinked furiously for about a minute… Weird.