HomeGuideFAQSearchMemberlistForumSupportStore
LD4all.com

Welcome to the archive! Log in
The way countries see each other + stereo types
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     LD4all archive Forum Index »Lucid LoungeGoto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Technodreamer
In mod disguise!
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: The way countries see each other + stereo types Reply with quote

I was wondering the way each country sees each other and what stero types they have of each other. And be honest (but polite).

And just before anyone mentions this - The British English do not only drink tea! We drink coffee too.

I amagine the world doesn't have a very good picture of Britian, after how badly the goverments over the last 50 years have messed it up. It is weird the way when a British goverement gains power and they degrade in preformance. This is why I was saying that goverements go corrupt after a while of having power (In the Learn Dutch topic).

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol great topic .. did't we get a taste of this in the 'aussies unite' (or something like that) topic? ^^

Let's make it a game. The one answering tells the stereotype of the one above.

Hmm.. british sterotype:

always raining
wearing black hats and umbrella's
very civilized
very polite
eat a lot of white beans in tomato sauce
eat a very unhealty breakfast
every night fish and chips

lol wink5

and that from somebody with family in england, babysat (?) with an english family and watches BBC regularily

ok go for it with the dutch stereotype. Try not to say windmills, woodenshoes and pot too much :puh:

Dream Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussies and Canadians:
"Mate, eh" and funny accents.
I've associated Aussies with kangaroos and boomerangs, but also crocodile hunters. I really don't know much about you guys to tell the truth...

Brit-ish:
Funny accents. We imitate them all the time, and it never ever gets old. Spotted ***?? And uh, butlers. Butlers. Men in suits. One piece glasses. Fancy schmancy...

Let's see.... haven't heard much about the Dutch except chocolate...
Oh I just saw Q's post... oh well. I'm American. Write my life out. Hey how about the one being stereotyped talks about how correct the stereotypes are??

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infection0 wrote:
Hey how about the one being stereotyped talks about how correct the stereotypes are??

good idea :D

well i do eat a lot of chocolate wink5 but i wasn't aware this was a special dutch thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, this is fun. I'm scared to be the first American to post here, shy2 I can imagine tons of stereotypes after my post, but be kind please. grin

Hmmm, pasQuale is dutch

-Shoes made from trees (heh, I can't say wooden shoes)
-Funny hats
-"high water" pants - those are short pants that are above the ankle, but below the knee

Hmm, can't think of many. However, we have a "dutch oven" which is basically a pot with a lid that you use on a stove top. So I suppose I can imagine that the dutch originally cooked mainly on the stovetop. grin

Brits:

-hold their pinky out when they sip tea
-eat lots of bagels
-eat "crumpets" or whatever they are
-have bad and rainy weather
-their government officials wear funny looking but ugly wigs 8D

Aussies:
-Vegimite! hahahaha (it's some weird food that I can never remember what it's made from)
-always say "g'day mate"
-have an accent almost exactly like the English and call each other "bloaks"
-carry shotguns
-have lots of flies
-complain about the rabbits screwing up the ecology
-always find funny names to call their animals. smile

Dream Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch: Stole this from some web site I saw... "blond hair, blue eyes, a Volendam pair of trousers and, of course, the inevitable clogs. In the background there is a windmill and, preferably, some tulips." Wait... Didn't mention pot... Hmm. All Dutch people are pot heads.

Brits:
Polite, even when insulting you. (Still haven't forgiven us for the American Revolution!)
Bad weather.

Aus:
Large barren land mass covered with kangaroos, baby-eating dingos, and the occasional Croc Hunter. "G'day" "Mate"

Now no one of these groups have posted yet, but I'll name a few.

Irish:
Drunk

Mexican:
Good at cutting grass, blowing leaves, and sometimes shoveling snow.

German:
Evil Natis out to get us all!

French:
Stuck up *** wearing a berre(sp?) and a black and white striped shirt. Likes cheese and wine.

Canadian:
Kinda slow, eh?

Asian:
Very smart... and short

siiw
NOTE: None of these represent my accually feelings... cept those damn Dutch potheads... How I loathe them...

Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a good topic

These are more well know stereo types, i do not actually soley beleive these.

Americans: Stupid, arrogant and self centered....sorry guys, it seems you guys don't know anything thats going on internationally and just what goes on in america or has to do with america

Canadians: They're alright, aussies and canadians get on well. Also have the 2 most livable city's in the world which are Melbourne (where i'm from) and is Montreal or Toronto? or am i totally wrong all together.

British: tea, bangers and mash. Soccer hooligans

Irish: drunk, red headed, wear green and could be lepricons.

Astral Explorer

Location: In a boat on a river, with tangerine trees, and marmalade skies...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, you didn't really specify that the stereotype about asian being short...everything is proportional for asian guys. That's one of them.

Dream Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucid Sky Dreams wrote:
haha, you didn't really specify that the stereotype about asian being short...everything is proportional for asian guys. That's one of them.

Lol, yeah, didn't think that was neccesary...

Oh yeah!

Arab:
Terrorist

Hmm... I've covered North America kinda South America.... Europe, Asia, Aus... Africa!

Africans:
Crazy drum beating, blood drinkin, lip diskin, peoples.

Dream Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. british sterotype:

always raining - This is a sterotype? I've lived here 22yrs i've never known it to stop lol

very polite - Why thank you ma'am

every night fish and chips - every other night... alternate for Pizza
--

Funny accents. - ah yes i watch american tv and i must say i have never heard an english accent that even sounds accurate lol. alots changed since the 40s when everyone spoke like that. Though we do have a few i don't wanna talk about lol

Butlers - now you are being silly... *jeeves, jeeves nice cup of Earl Grey tea if you please.*

hold their pinky out when they sip tea - Actually true, but not by choice if you look at the cups where people do that there is no where to put it without burning it lol

eat "crumpets" - hmm haven't had any for ages *makes mental shopping list note*
have bad and rainy weather - true so true

their government officials wear funny looking but ugly wigs - They used to QC's might still wear em lol.

Polite, even when insulting you - *strong fake accent* I say Neo you rude, insolent rapscalion you! Why i should spank you myself young man - Oh bloody hell skipper ask jeeves to get me a fresh pot of Tea would you, many thanks old man. Right-e-o

*Looks over the post again.... Gee gad what was in this "special herbal tea" ?*

Astral Explorer

Location: In a boat on a river, with tangerine trees, and marmalade skies...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a british friend, and maybe it's just her, but it seems like all the british people i've met are sort-of book smart, but have NO common sense.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol DM lach1

i forgot: british sense of humour lachtraan although i don't think that is a sterotype, but i do think it is something brittish smile And i kind of like that kind of humour smile

Dream Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo wrote:
Large barren land mass covered with kangaroos, baby-eating dingos, and the occasional Croc Hunter. "G'day" "Mate"

Covered with kangaroos indeed. The damned giant rats seem to enjoy leaping in front of cars at every opportunity. Stupid critters. Dingos, perhaps, but not nearly enough of the baby-eating variety. And croc hunters? Pretty rare, except for that one disgraceful jackass who shall remain nameless.

DreamAddict wrote:
-Vegimite! hahahaha (it's some weird food that I can never remember what it's made from)
-always say "g'day mate"
-have an accent almost exactly like the English and call each other "bloaks"
-carry shotguns
-have lots of flies
-complain about the rabbits screwing up the ecology
-always find funny names to call their animals.

I'll be damned if I know what vegemite is made from, but I can confirm that it tastes utterly horrid. It's... more powerful than you'd expect. Imagine drinking vodka while under the impression that it's water.

Indeed, people are quite fond of the term "G'day", which is almost exclusively followed by "Mate" (recipient's gender permitting). Primarily a 'country' tradition, but used pretty much everywhere.

I wouldn't say the Australian accent was anything like the English. For starters, we actually pronounce the 'H' at the beginning of each word (where applicable).

"'Ave you seen my new 'at? Innit 'ilarious then?"

Instead, we're guilty of underemphasizing the letter 'R', and in some cases dismissing it entirely.

"Let's go for a drive in my new 'cah'"

And it's "Bloke" smile

Shotguns? I don't know, in my experience most farm owners have a rifle of some kind stashed away in plain view of the children, but no shotgun. Bare in mind also, Australia has one of the lowest gun-to-people ratios of any first-world country - you only hear about the stereotypical farm-folk. smile

Rabbits are again more of a country thing, but flies certainly are quite the bother. I'll be damned if I'm ever going to wear a hat with corks hanging from it, so I'll just stay inside where possible for the rest of summer.

Most of the animals and towns in Australia were named by the aborigines, so they do have fairly unusual names. I think that was our way of making peace with them after stealing all this land and shamelessly belittling them. "Ok, ok, you get to name our capital city, several of our towns, and ... let's hear what you currently call these bizarre creatures around the place."

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me australia stereotype: everything in australia is poisonous - every spider, snake, ant(?) and plants and fish, i cannot believe how you survive that overspannen

Dream Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

French:
Red Wine & cheese, no rationalists, arrogant but also willing to fight for themselves (going on strike and stuff), beautiful women
I like france smile

British:
You are probably the most difficult ones.
Polite (yet youths are swearing a lot, but only when they are by themselves), smart, traditions, very tidy, drinking black tea, horrible food, rainy weather, black humour (I love MonthyPythons), no beautiful women (sorry wink5 )

USA:
Horrible food, no real culture, ignorant and over self-councious, liking stupid movies
I even observed myself to be especially nice when talking to americans, since I can imagine the agressive attitude you are probably often confronted with these days

Poland:
You steal the german cars

Russia:
Drinking vodka

Dutch:
You are probably best off, concerning prejudices.
Open minded, good social system, little violence, funny language
Only negative prejudice is that you have still a lot of prejudices about germans

Australians:
Close to nature, always celebrating raves in the middle of nowhere

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     LD4all archive Forum Index » Lucid Lounge All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

© pasQuale - donations greatly appreciated