Page 1 of 6Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author  Message 
Arthur
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Uberman Sleep Schedule - You only need two hours of sleep
PostPosted: Mon 13 Dec, 2004  Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I was originally going to post this in the Lucid Laboratory forum, but I'm not sure if it quite fits there, so I think it'll fit in just fine here.

[mod]Topic moved to Laboratory. Looks like an interesting experiment. -Ath[/mod]

I am planning on experimenting with "polyphasic sleep", which attempts to compress your daily sleep requirement down to about two hours a day. This is achieved by taking six short 20 minute naps throughout the day, rather than one long sleep during the night. Adjusting to this in your first week is apparently quite rough (although I've never done it), but once you get used to it, you apparently always feel refreshed, and best of all, you have six more hours in your day.

Doing this has another side effect... You enter into REM sleep almost immediately when falling asleep, giving you extremely vivid dreams.

Further information can be found on my web site here. Some other good information on the Uberman sleep schedule can be found here and here.

I am currently developing custom blogging software to document the entire experience. I plan to keep track of my general mood, how tired I feel, and my weight (which is a good indicator of sleep deprivation). As well it will serve as just a record of my progress, and anything interesting that happens during the experiment. I should be completing this software within the next few days. If there is anything else you think would be relevant to track, please reply so I can include it.

If anyone else is interested in trying this experiment with me, I am offering your own free blog on my web site to track the same information, and at the end of the experiment, perhaps I can get some interesting information out of all that data (if I get enough people volunteering to get a large enough data set).

I will be starting this experiment on December 22nd, 2004. If anyone is interested in participating, leave a message in the forum so I can contact you about setting up a blog account for you.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them here.

charlottedreamer
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

Woah, that's a strange concept. I can see how it would be awesome if it worked, but I'm doubtful. Let us know how it goes!
eek2

I find it hard to see how anyone could incorporate that into their lives. Unless you work at an office! tounge2

Arthur
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

TheBranMuffin wrote:
I find it hard to see how anyone could incorporate that into their lives. Unless you work at an office! tounge2

Hehe... I have a very light course load next semester, so I never really have to be awake for more than 2 hours anyways... although it would be difficult for someone who had to work 8-5 to do this... unless they had a really nice boss.

r3m0t
A head librarian
cookie lover

It should be noted that some people ssleep for 30 minutes every 4 hours, not 20 minutes. Just an option.

Lucidity_Master
Dream Diety
cookie lover
LD count: At Will
Location: Probably the Golf Course...or maybe the Lucid Crossroads

I will give this a try when Christmas break starts. I'll let you know how it works.

Arthur
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

r3m0t wrote:
It should be noted that some people ssleep for 30 minutes every 4 hours, not 20 minutes. Just an option.

Some people do this, but I would not recommended it. 30 minutes of sleep is enough time for you to begin to enter deep sleep. This increases the chances you won't be able to wake up after the 30 minutes, and waking up too soon after entering deep sleep (less than 4 hours) generally leaves you more tired than when you went to sleep.

Lucidity_Master wrote:
I will give this a try when Christmas break starts. I'll let you know how it works.

Would you like me to set up a blog for you on my website? This would allow me to keep everyone's data in one place.

Jack
Dream Diety
cookie lover

Compressing your sleep is quite a good idea ldwise and obewise.For those who dont feel like going to such extremes i can say that shortening your sleep by two or 3 hrs will have similar effect.
take care

mindfield
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

I have tried it once and I gave up fast. But I will try it again.When I skipped just one nap it messed up the whole day program. And it was very annoying when the nap time came and I couldn't fall asleep. But you can't put the naps to other times because it messes up the program again.
I couldn't go on trying.
And of course it is hard to stay awake for me at night even if I am not sleepy and refreshed.
I heard that it can boost up learninng and memory skills. This is a grat motivation for me.
Anyway have success!

Lucidity_Master
Dream Diety
cookie lover
LD count: At Will
Location: Probably the Golf Course...or maybe the Lucid Crossroads

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec, 2004  Reply with quote

Quote:
Would you like me to set up a blog for you on my website? This would allow me to keep everyone's data in one place.

Yea that would be a good idea, but I'm not familiar with Blogs, though they shouldn't be too hard to learn

Arthur
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Lucidity_Master wrote:

Yea that would be a good idea, but I'm not familiar with Blogs, though they shouldn't be too hard to learn

OK, I think it would be easiest if you send me an email (my contact info is at my webpage here, I don't like posting my email where bots might find it.) Just tell me what username/password you'd like and I can send you more details to start your blog.

I wrote the blog software myself, so it's extremely simple, you should have no trouble figuring it out.

If you know anyone else who might be interested in doing this, be sure to tell them, it'd be cool to get as many people doing this at once as possible.

Agent11421
Somniologist
Somniologist

But this idea of sleeping on and off through out the day , (even if it does work), doesn't sound practical for the student who has classes all day or for the working person who has to work all day, or for the housewife who has to care for the children and keep to her house duties.
So who is left?

Arthur
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

There's the catch... It is difficult to manage a 20 minute nap every 4 hours when you're expected to work 8-5...

I'm a student, and set up my schedule so I never have more than 4 hours of class in a row... It still will probably be hard to actually find a place to lie down and sleep, but if you can manage it, I'm sure it'd be worth it.

LD count: yes
Location: hare krishna hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare! hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare!

jusst go to sleep in a library or something, i'd imagine it would leave you with interesting dreams and OBE experimental possibilities.

Arthur
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

holy reality wrote:
jusst go to sleep in a library or something, i'd imagine it would leave you with interesting dreams and OBE experimental possibilities.

hehe, good idea... Just have to hope I don't start snoring or something.

Page 1 of 6Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

print   ShareShare