Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Teeth falling out

Author  Message 
Vae Victus
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2004  Reply with quote

The hypothesis I subscribe to is that some dream signs are universal, or at least culture-wide. Our brains have evolved to recognize faces in random, inanimate mediums, (The Demon-Haunted World, Carl Sagan) so obviously some things are programmed into the brain and we all have (relatively) similar slates to begin with. Add to that the fact that some happenings are hugely related regardless of the species you belong to. Death and family are huge factors in the lives of most of the species on the planet.

I've heard before (no idea where), that teeth falling out symbolize large changes in your life (or expected large changes, or imagined). They may mean nothing at all. You may have just seen a character you like have their lives changed on a television show. It's just a symbol of change (and it's neutral, it's not a "bad" change or a "good" change, it's just that your mind is preoccupied with some kind of change that's happened in your life. After all, teething, and losing your teeth, though your memories of the times may be shoddy or practically nil, were pretty huge events in everyone's life.

Well, that's my thought. I try to accept the ideas that are most reasonable, despite the fact that, as you break it down, most of the world probably operates in an extremely counter-intuitive way.

toadstool
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2004  Reply with quote

I agree with that last post... losing teeth is something every one has experienced and if you view it as an arche type, change is a likely one...

The collest thing though is how your subconcious runs away with itself. My teeth loss dreams always start with one lose tooth that comes out and then it just dominos and all my teeth are coming out... haha.

fleeting form

PostPosted: Sun 23 May, 2004  Reply with quote

i remember having dreams where i'm clenching my jaws so tight that i felt my teeth were going to break off from my gums. it was pretty scary. for some reason i haven't had those ever since i got braces. so i don't know if it was symbolic of my life's situation at that time or that i just really hated my teeth or what. haha

sno_isulli
Lovestruck
cookie lover

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004  Reply with quote

I just had a dream a couple days ago about my teeth. I was looking in the mirror and noticed that a few of my bottom teeth were loose. My gums were almost melting and I was trying very hard to reposition my teeth, pissed off that my orthodontist didn't do a better job with my cemented-in retainer. I blame my various gum surgeries, braces, and retainer ordeals for all my funky teeth dreams.

Quote:
Death is a stripping away of all that is not you.
-Eckhart Tolle (The Power of Now)

Yay, another Tolle fan. I love Power of Now. It's like my Bible. (Although I don't carry it around with me. . .)

PistGurl
Ruler of LD4all
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Mon 24 May, 2004  Reply with quote

I agree with the domino effect, I see one come out, or feel one loose, and then all of em start!

WaNnAbE
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

those dreams where all your teeth fall out
PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2005  Reply with quote

(First post in about 9 months. Does anyone remember me? I haven't been posting but I've still been reading the forums a little.)

Has anyone else here had one of those dreams where all your teeth fall out? I had my second this morning.

I kept asking all the dream characters, "hey, do you think this is one of those dreams where all your teeth fall out?" but they told me it wasn't.

And the teeth had redness inside them. They were white, but they had a sort of bloody red in the middle, the way a pearl has that pearly glow, except it was an unpleasant red rather than pretty pearliness.

And almost everyone I've told this dream to tells me that "I'm sure that means something, but I've forgotten it". so if anyone has any ideas on that, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks.

§eräphim™
The Six Winged Angel
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2005  Reply with quote

I used to have those all the time.

Iluminada
Dreamer of Peace...
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2005  Reply with quote

Funny I should come across this thread. My mom used to say that when you dreampt of falling teeth it meant someone was going to die.

If the tooth you lost didn't hurt at all, then it was someone you knew of.
If the tooth you lost was painful, then an acquaintance is going to die.
If you were bleeding when the tooth fell off, then it was a family member or someone close.

My mom has a meaning for everything. She's really superstitious too.

Doba
One with the birds
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2005  Reply with quote

I think dreams of teeth-loss (often) is about communication. I've olny dreamt that I've lost a tooth once. I was very puzzled when I woke and and so i told my brother about it. he said that it's a very common thing to dream about. He also said that he'd read that it's supposed to mean that the dreamer has (feelings of) communication problems.

I did at once feel that that was true, as I, at the time, was in a situation where I really did feel that I had problems communicating with people around me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Doug1414

Reoccuring Dream for a few years... Searching for meaning.
PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005  Reply with quote

For the last 2 or so years i've been having this odd dream every so often. maybe about once a month.. maybe less.

The place is always different, time is always different, but the same thing always happens. i start losing my teeth. in my dream i'll be walking with my parents talking, or through the halls at school, sitting in class, or just sitting in my room by myself, and my teeth will start to fall out.

Usually i'll wake up after they fall out or sometime shortly thereafter. Sometimes in my dream people will stare at me.. others not. i'm not sure if that makes a difference. but if someone could please clear this up i'd be grateful i've been trying to find out for awhile now.

moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2005  Reply with quote

doug, i merged your post to an earlier topic. I hope you find the answers here colgate

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
zenica4life
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Re: Tooth loss
PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005  Reply with quote

brad. wrote:
Why do a lot of people lose their teeth in their dreams? what does it mean when they do?

This is an ancient European translation. When you dream of teeth, it means you or somebody in your family will die.

Siiw
Infinite Impatience
Globahead
Siiw has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: last 19.augus

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2005  Reply with quote

If that was true, I wouldn't have any family members left. The fact that an ancient interpretation of this exist, proves it has been a common dream theme through history. siiw We are attached to our teeth, it would be miserable without them, but teeth are the only body part which can just fall off.

Current LD goal(s): To bring back art or a song

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
zenica4life
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2005  Reply with quote

IkkeHer wrote:
If that was true, I wouldn't have any family members left. The fact that an ancient interpretation of this exist, proves it has been a common dream theme through history. siiw We are attached to our teeth, it would be miserable without them, but teeth are the only body part which can just fall off.

Maybe it's wrong. Who knows. I dreamt of teeth before and nobody died in my family.

somerandomguy
SRG...just SRG..
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

when i think of this..i think "the fly"

print