DC's as a way to change LD's

I just found something works for me and maybe for you, I dont know if this is already in use. But heres what I found the other night. Now for me I have a problem with changing the scenery in my LD its usually th2 same place in my ld, I also have trouble bringing things into my ld like people or just different things. So the other night in my ld i decided to try somethign new, I went up to a DC and convinced him that we were in a ld, once he was convinced I told him that i had problems with changing things around me or adding things. the next thing i did was i asked him if he could do it for me (change scenery ect.) and sure enough he could do it with ease. So my point is that if you are like me and have trouble adding new things to your ld get a DC to do it maybe it will also work for you

It’s funny that you mention this, because I’ve noticed the same thing happening in a lot of my recent LDs as well. Once a DC seems to understand that he or she is in a dream (it doesn’t happen very often for me, unfortunately), they always seem to have total control over the dream environment. Sometimes they just use their powers to show off, and sometimes they’re happy to give you a hand. In my experience, it tends to depend on the character themselves, and who (if anyone) they represent in the real world. A DC based on a close friend is usually willing to assist me by creating items or locating specific people, while a complete stranger (particularly young people) will often attack and/or abandon me.

It’s a good technique to keep in mind next time you find your control is lacking. Just prove to a friend that you’re dreaming, then ask them to help you with whatever you’d like to do.

That’s fascinating; it could prompt some interesting discussion on the nature of DCs. Perhaps it would be possible to use as evidence against the “familiar DCs only appear as such because you seem them during the day and aren’t actually representative of those people” theory. I suppose it could tie into LaBerge’s expectation theory; since you expect close friends and family members to help and assist you, they do, while simultaniously strangers hurt or leave you because you trust them less instinctively and don’t expect them to do you favors. Hmmm…

I haven’t been lucid enough in any of my LDs to remember to try this technique, but I’d like to; it seems that detailed interaction with DCs can be extremely rewarding. Hopefully, I’ll succeed in increasing the clairity of my dreams over time, and be able to think straight enough to give this a try.

That is pretty interesting. I’m also rarely lucid enough to really give this a go, but it’s something to strive for.

Do you guys find that talking to DCs helps you maintain lucidity? Like sort of a conversational cement. You talking about it helps maintain it?