How do you "passively" observe HI?

How do you passively observe HI? I’ve noticed within the past two weeks my HI has become very vivid. It’s like, all the spots and blobs I see are on top of a scene and I will unconciously focus on the scene and not pay attention to the “static” anymore. It is becoming as if I was watching a movie screen and being able to move my eyes around. Now, I don’t realize I’m doing this, so then I’ll be like “Oh! This is HI, man!” and then I’ll snap out of it. How can I come to this realization without snapping out of it? If I could master this I believe I could be very proficient at WILD, what with SP and all… Today when having a nap I saw some really ugly man’s face up close (I think it was a politician :wink: ) and he had like, a tongue ring and I could see him moving it around and then realized what I was looking at and snapped back. It was so clear, so close!

Please help!

I’ve got the same problem, when my HI gets really intense and vivid, and I’m like “Oh man this is sweeet!” it just goes away, and then I get discouaged. I think it has to do with me trying to watch the images, rather than letting them be seen, if that makes any sence.

LOL, that’s what I’m like, man!!!

I’m wondering if I could try looking at the images with my “peripheral vision.” Like, focus on a spot on your wall, but concentrate on an object (a clock, maybe?) near it and soon you’ll notice that your vision has oh-so-slowly moved and is now on the clock! It’s just that moment that I realize what I’m looking at…

You could try to pick a point in your mind. I suggest in the center of your forehead and keep your attention there. Let the imagery form in your mind but pay no attention to them. Keep your attention at the spot on your forehead. Hopefully this will keep you from getting too involved with the images. It is very important that you do not think about the images. I know it is very cool but as soon as you think, “hey this is cool” you will have to start all over.

Another alternative is possible if you are good at visualizing. You can just visualize a simple object or symbol and stay focused on that.

For me, I do make this mistake sometimes, but I find that I get into HI’s again faster so if I do make this mistake… there’s no big deal. I just try again. :smile: And focusing on one thing will help a lot or just observe. It’s hard I know, but I just observe without reacting. I know I can think or whatever in my dream, I just have to pass this dedicate stage first; otherwise, I’d have to do the thinking when I’m awake. You know what I prefer… being able to think in a LD! :tongue: So, yeah I use that goal when I see HI’s, I know I’ll react on them later… I just need to observe like a scientist would… I integrate that HI and progress into LD much faster that way. :biggrin:

I know… easier said than done. :confused:

Im a little confused on the subject of HI. Is HI the dots and blobs of colour you see when you close your eyes at any time of the day?

Hypnagogic comes from a greek word which means “Leading into sleep”, so they are only the dots and blobs you see when you fall asleep. You can also have Hypnopompic Imagery, when you come out of a REM cycle. All three images are probably related to each other in some way through the visual courtex, I would say :smile:

Ok thnx. So the dots and blobs i see everyday are something else.

Yup.
Actually I find that when I close my eyes during the day, the images seem to correspond to actual objects. Just now I did it and I could see a greenish square where my computer monitor would be if my eyes were open.

I get what you mean. I see objects sometimes. What is strange is that if i concentrate hard enough and focus my eyes forward i start to see little red circles with a white middle with then a little red dot in the middle of the white. And they start to multiply but then disappear once they get bigger. This is probably nothing extraordinary but thought i’d mention it.

HI can also be seemingly random images that flash in your minds eye (or as if they are with the blobs and dots going to sleep) Eventually the image (like a face, or for me, I always see a pair of eyes at the onset of HI) will grow into a scene, which will begin to move. I’ve been amazed at how clear I can see these scenes lately, which is why I wake up. I get too excited over them!!!

Does it then after fading together turn into a dream in which you are lucid?

Yup, if all goes well. Thats what a WILD is.

Ahh never seen that. :razz: Ill be happy with a nice bit of SP. That would make my month. Once i can hit SP i know HI will come soon. And if i have the Old hag…who cares it might be frightening but still its an experience.

In my experience, HI happens before SP, but it gets more vivid and changes to actual images instead of light and blobs as time goes by.

Ok thnx for telling me ill watch out for it.

SP is really weird for me. I seem to have a “gift” for it in that I can experience it almost at will, providing I’m relaxed enough. Last week I had it almost every morning if I woke up early enough to allow 2+ hours before having to get out of bed. I can tell when it’s coming because suddenly I’ll feel/hear blood rushing to my head, and it’ll start to wash over my like an oscillating wave. Eventually the “waves” get very powerful, the noise or rushing sound becomes very intense/chaotic, and that’s when I attempt to climb out of bed. I realized since my last two WILDs that everytime I tried to move/get out of bed (in sheer terror when I first started to experience it years ago) I technically had a brief WILD because I saw myself changing positions, felt like I was changing positions, but then I’d blink and be in the same paralysed position. I posted a lot of tips on here somewhere about the best way to bring on SP. I’ll see if I can dig it up for you!!

I’d welcome those :smile:
I’ve only been conscious during SP twice, and they were both spontanious.

The dots and blobs are called phosphenes or entoptics. Hypnagogic imagery are rather realistic images (faces, landscapes, etc.) which appear randomly, and generally disappear as soon as you notice them.

Do they seems to zoom across your vision and get hetic and you feel your eyes struggling to kepp up with them. And it can sometimes keep you awake and not allow you to relax?