Star Wars: Episode III made me sad :(

I thought it was a great movie overall, but I wasn’t convinced by how easily Anakin allowed himself to be converted to the dark side. I mean, he was a genuinly good character (apparent when he twice refused to leave Kinobi behind in the opening scenes of the movie)… so why the sudden change? Because he had a dream that Padme was going to die giving birth? I’m sure he could have used other, Jedi powers to protect her, if he was actually worried that she would come to harm in the near future. There was really no reason for him to kill all those other Jedi, when he was just looking for a way to prevent his wife from dying. To me, it just didn’t seem to fit, like it was a last-minute rush to turn him into everything he was at the beginning of A New Hope.

Apart from that, I thought it was very well done. General Grevious was portrayed remarkably well (took me a while to work out that he’s actually not a robot–which also made it easier to understand why and how he coughs all the time), and as far as visual effects go, it was top-notch. As for the story taking a sad or miserable turn, I guess I was already expecting that to be the case. We all knew that by the end of the movie, Anakin would have to have made the complete transition to the Dark Side, so it was more the journey which surprised me, not the destination.

Interesting points, Atheist. Come to think of it, I was surprised as well. The chancellor make two, three recommendations for Anakin to request of the Jedi council and that he knew would be denied, they were, and the Dark Side was soon deeply rooted in him? I thought that too. Especially the part after he kills uh… Samuel Jackson haha, I’m not a hardcore SW fan so I’m not great with character names and he’s like “Oh what have I done?!” and then immediately and wholly submits himself to the service of the Sith. I thought that was kinda lame. But then again in Ep 2. his first encounter was when he killed all the dudes that had his mother, so he was harboring a lot of anger and guilt to begin with, I guess. I knew what the outcome of the movie would be, with him turning and her dying, but I was still sad. :sad:

It was very well done never been a star wars fan the first trilogy wasnt my generation :content: but i feel i am now
really enjoyed the movie and will watch it again on the big screen and get the original trilogy out to watch

One thing that got me was the blindness of the jedi though
to have not even seen it coming. They are so wise and yet they let Anakin be exploited and let so many other things happen

Another strong comment!! George’s story of Anakin’s transition sounds lamer every post :content:

maybe what Lucas was trying to say, is that you cannot be partly on the dark side, partly on the good side… if you choose to use the power of the dark side, it will enslave you, and you will turn to the dark side in whole (does it make any sense ? :razz: ). And I don’t think he could have used his Jedi powers to save Padme… Jedis accept death as natural, they cannot stop it.

yeah, I kinda felt that too …

Maybe Anikin was right then to think that the Jedi are abandoning their code and becoming weak.

Yep, that makes sense, and I guess it could explain why the transition occured so fast. But Anakin has been in training since he was SEVEN! With the exception of the time he killed all those sand people, his character never really displayed any weakness that would make him open to temptation from the Dark Side. Sure, once someone experiences a taste of the Dark Side, it may quickly alter their orientation and swallowed the remainder of their “goodness”, but why did he so willingly try on a dark glove in the first place? Obiwan was like a father to him, and while Anakin was young and impatient, he knew what the Dark side of the Force did to those who embraced it, so I just don’t think he would have stepped into that trap so quickly. Still, your comment does make sense, and I guess I can see why George did it this way. :smile:

I also had the same feelings coming out of the movie skiddz, like I was sad that the whole thing was over, kinda like how I feel when I finish a really good book. And it is Anakin/darth that brings balance to the force, cuz at the end of Return Of The Jedi, it’s Darth who picks up Lord Sidious and chucks him into the reactor core or whatever that’s supposed to be. Although you could interpret that it’s Luke’s faith in the good in his father that makes darth do that, so… I agree that George lucas had alot to tie all together in the last movie, and he actually did better than I expected, but what I don’t get is that Anakin’s main character trait is his passion and anger, which leads him to the dark side, but the darth vader from the original series never really seems to get too worked up over anything. Over all though, it was the only new stars wars that I felt even compared to the originals.

Ok… I havnt seen the movie… but you would think if they had the technology to build death stars and intergaltic space travel etc etc they could have finally worked out how to stop a woman from dying during childbirth…

just my two cents…

probably not spent too wisely!

Padmé died in childbirth, but she did not die OF childbirth. The doctors say to Obi Wan that they couldn’t find anything wrong with her. After her confrontation with Darth Vader, she has lost the will to live. So really, Anikin trying to save his wife from dying, killed her in the process. A self fulfilling proficy. Reminds me of something in Kafka’s The Trial.

Yeah, still haven’t seen the new movie, but Darth Vader and Aniken Skywalker are very different characters. Vader is calm and cool, but Aniken is all torn and confused over things. He’s also a lot taller and fatter in the original trilogy, isn’t he? Like, Aniken’s actor had to wear lifts in his shoes to fill up the Vader costume :content:
And yeah, there are a lot of plot holes between the first two movies and the original trilogy, I can only imagine what the third is like.
For example Padme is Liea’s mom, and she’s from Naboo, yet in a New Hope, the Death Star blows up Liea’s home planet, Alderan. What’s up with that???
And in the original trilogy, Obi Wan was supposed to have been apprenticed by Yoda, yet in the Phantom menace, he’s being apprenticed by Qui Gon Ginn, and in attack of the clones Yoda says something that lets us know that Count Duku was once’s Yoda’s apprentice.
Yet despite the holes, it’s a good storyline :smile: I’m still looking foward to the third one :smile:

This is not only explained in episode three, but it is also explained in the original trilogy (I cant remember which movie). It is because obi wan hid luke and leia with different families in order to protect them from Vader. Alderaan was the planet of Leia’s foster parents.

I went to see Star Wars on the opening day w/ my family. It was good. The special effects were extraordinary!!! I do agree with Atheist… Lucas rushed the whole transition from bad to good.

Oh good, as long as he explained it I’m cool :smile:
I just hate unresolved plot holes :content:

I have not seen tit yet. I am waiting for it to come to the drive-in. (I hate theaters) :grrr:

I wonder if he will ever do the complete series of 9 episodes?

I think it was a fantastic movie…there is one thing i keep hearing a lot though and that is that Anakin turned to the DArk side to easily…If we go back to episode one when he is in the jedi chambers being tested…yoda himself sensed fear within him…that fear never left him …it was/is that fear…that not wanting to let go…not allowing things to take their “natural” course that causes his eventual turn to the DArk Side…over and over again…the jedi reiterate the inevitability of change…it is the only thing that remains constant …but Anakin’s desire to halt change causes the very death *(of padme) that he was trying so hard to prevent…

I could go into a long tirade into how the concepts in the movies reflect certain buddhist ideas as well…but…thats for another day…all in all a great film…

I always thought that much of the jedi teachings in the movie resembled Buddhist Philosophy.

The Jedi follow a philosophy of non-attachment. Anakin’s wanting to prevent Padme’s death lead him to the Dark Side by definition, particularly since his desire to save Padme is for selfish reasons.

As far as Anakin’s turn to the Dark Side…

Remember that Anakin was torn between trusting his own feelings, or upholding his Jedi training. But Sidious had convinced him of a power that he had wanted since his mother died. To add to that, the Jedi were asking him to spy on the chancellor, which was against the Jedi code. At this point, Anakin realizes that the Jedi aren’t all they are cracked up to be. When the confrontation with Sidious comes, Anakin knows that the proper Jedi action is to arrest Sidious. But Windu refuses, knowing that even with Anakin’s help, Sidious is too powerful to be contained. When Anakin sees that Windu is going to kill Sidious, he either has to choose to compromise Jedi morals and kill Sidious, or he has to choose to follow Sidious in a search for ultimate power. Anakin is in a Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don’t situation. I found his choice to join the Dark Side completely realistic.

However, with that said, the moment is kind of anticlimatic, because he immediately becomes consumed in a mindless quest to do Sidious’ bidding. Personally, I think the movie would have gone much better if we’d seen more pain and confusion like from his mother’s death in Episode II, except for this time having the pain simply giving him more resolve for destruction. Instead, he became a mindless minion of Sidious, which completely ruined his character for the rest of the movie.

Im in total agreement with you on that…PLUS i wanted to see ANAKIN and MACE have a fight , yeah yeah…he fought Palpatine…but so what…cmon Lucas…he’s second only to Yoda…you build him up as this bad ass in Episode 2…then u cut his arm off in Episode 3…way too easy …anyhoo…im thinking about a Fan film…based around Mace Windu…so there!!

I heard that he was just gonna stick with the six movies now. Afterall they are advertising this one as the last one, going out with a bang and everything.

No way, with the amount of money he rakes in off each episode, I wouldn’t be surprised if he pulled another few episodes out of his butt. If so, he’d probably make even more since it’d be such a surprise, I think it might do even better!