How to Seperate Dreams?

I’ve become a lot better at dream recall the past few weeks. The first week, I could only remember a short dream that seemed to focus on one event and had one or two ‘moods’ to it. Around the second week, It seems like the dream was way too long to just be one and there were two events that didn’t seem to connect in any way at all.

This week, I think I’ve been having 2-3 dreams per night. Last night, I had a dream that seemed to drag on. I wish I’d have written it down right away, but I’ve just been trying to figure out if it’s one or more:

1. It seems to be a recount of the night before, when I was at my Martial Arts class, the colors weren’t too vivid, I think it was black and white, and there wasn’t very much emotion to the dream at all.

2. The colors all seem to have a bluish tint. I remember walking through a strange house, everything was foggy, sad, and blue. I was looking for something and trying to push back all these feelings of depression. It was so odd, because this is the only dream I’ve had where emotion is just so noticeable. Normally I can only think of what the mood of the dream is when I wake up, in this I felt so sad, but I didn’t know why. I then heard the sound of an answering machine, and a man’s voice came on, saying something, then the machine came back, and said the date, which was way back in 2002. I walked quickly out of that room and into the room where the machine and a woman’s sobbing voice was. I recognized her right away, an ex-friend’s mother. She was listening to the voice of her ex-husband, who she divorced in 2002. She looked the same as she does now, and I must have looked like the 5th grade version of myself because she didn’t seem surprised at all to see me, she just went on, saying,“Take this home to your mother, dear.”

3. I wish I would have written this dream down, because I was trying to go back as soon as I woke up and remember it. Which I did, but now after I’ve had coffee and done a little reading all I can remember is that the colors were shockingly different from what I believe was the second dream. Everything was red, yellow, and orange.

I was wondering, is there any way that dreams that come in a stream are really a few dreams rather than just one?

And if anyone can interpret the second dream, then that’d be nice to because I have no idea why I would dream about something that I haven’t thought about since I was 11. It didn’t really affect me then either.

I say if it seems to you like there is more than one dream, there probably is. However, just because things seem awfully different from the previous part, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a completely separate dreams. In my experience, I often have long dreams with many strikingly different “scenes”, but there is still something consistent enough there to make me view it as belonging to the same dream.

I think until your recall gets to a strong level, however, it will probably be harder to tell. Yet, if you think you’re having more than one dream, you probably are.

“I think until your recall gets to a strong level, however, it will probably be harder to tell.”

What’s considered a strong level?

Well, a lot longer than the dreams you’ve posted up, I suspect. If that’s everything you can remember at this stage, it’s not very good recall. Especially since you mainly just remember the moods and general themes - I think you would need to start remembering actual events with more clarity in order to be able to distunguish where one dream leaves off and another begins (if that is the case).