Anyone know what type of dreams these are?

Ive posted a similar topic before ( [Can anyone tell me what type of dreams these are?) ) but never got any clear answers. Ive recently had another one of these “dreams”, and it scared this shit out of me so im reposting this.

Heres what typically happens in one of these “dreams”

I’ll be lying in my bed, fully awake, but with my eyes closed. Suddenly, i’ll get this feeling of EXTREME tiredness. I try and fight it off (cause I know whats gonna happen when I get this feeling) but it never works. Its as if im being forced to close my eyes. My body becomes paralyzed, sometimes accompanied by a seizure-shaking type feeling.

A few seconds later, im able to open my eyes. I’ll sometimes experience mild to strong visual/audio hallucinations (flying colors, imiginary people/animals, monsters, etc). Its extremely hard to move my body, but I am able to.

Now, at this point in the “dream” im extremely scared, and always try to get up and run away. Every time, i’ll get up, walk about 10 feet, Then ill be instantly “teleported” back into my bed. I’ll get up again and try and get away, only to be teleported right back into my bed. This will happen a good 4 to 8 times before I really “wake up”.

After I “wake up” im almost always in an extremely confused and frightened state that can last for hours. Im to scared to go back to sleep. I dont think these are dreams, because im wide awake mere seconds before it happens.

Anyone ever expierience this before? Or know what it is?

Wow, I can’t believe I’m the first person to reply to this!

Hello, dempig. :smile: From what you are describing in this post, it sounds like the beginning of WILD!! This state is called SP. In this state, your body is paralyzed, supposedly so you cannot act out your dreams IRL. The hallucinations that you have are also “symptoms” of WILD. You should not be afraid of these hallucinations, just remember that it is all part of the dream. You are very close to having mastered WILD and able to have (maybe your first) LD!!!

You’re entering SP (this is when you can’t move, and feel like your being shaken. You may experince other hallucinations too).

When you open your eyes, you’ve entered a dream (and extremely fast - I assume this is either late at night, or you’ve had a lack of sleep). When you dream of waking up, we refer to it as a FA.

You keep on being teleported back into your bed, because that’s what you expect/fear to happen. And this just seems to scare you even more.

There is a very simple way to get over this:

Next time you enter the dream just say to yourself, ‘This is a dream. I can do what I want. I have nothing to be afraid of.’ (or something similiar - you’ll probably feel best coming up with your own line).

Just relax and look around yourself. Now, just get out of bed and walk calmly over to the door (or jump out the window, or walk through a mirror, or anything else you can think of).

You’ll know you won’t be transported back into your bed. But if you are, don’t worry. Stay relaxed and just try again.

You’ll now have left your room. Have fun doing whatever you wish to in your dream (eg. fly around).

It definitely sounds like you are naturally doing WILD somehow. This is nothing to be afraid of. Like surreal said you can use this to your advantage. All you have to do now is learn to maintain lucidity when you cross over. I think your fear of this state is what is preventing you from achieving this. When you feel this come on again just tell yourself that you are going into a dream.

When you get used to this state and become fully aware of the fact that it can not harm you in any way, you will actually enjoy the experience.

Wow, I have had the same kind of experience, used to happen all the time except the FA, I don’t have to be lying down for it to start but it can happen there too…I suddenly feel like I’ve been drugged and have to lay down quick and I end up having the most vivid dreams and when I wake up I can’t move for the longest time…My doctor thought I might have narcolepsy, I was supposed to go for a sleep study but usually this stuff only happens when I’m really stressed out and I won’t take uppers so why bother? It doesn’t really stress me out in itself its a nice escape. Usually I feel much better afterwards…

You should get this look at. If you do have narcolepsy that can be very dangerous. As for treatment, there are new medications that are not “uppers” . Besides it could also be something as simple a low blood sugar as well(which it sounds like to me). Anyway, it is just a thought.

Thank you, :smile: but the narcolepsy was kind of a last resort ruled out everything else kind of thing…The same thing happens to my mother at times, so I’m not real worried about the danger…I usually have enough warning too so that I can sit or… ahem …pull over if I have to. And if I remember to take care of myself I keep it in check ok. I have a history of being incredibly non-compliant with meds anyway. I don’t particularly care for them :tongue:

I agree with milod. If this happens to you at random times, especially while you’re driving, you really should look into this… :bored:

I appreciate the replies people :content:

I’ll try and stay calm next time it happens. I dunno its just kind of wierd, ive had LD’s before but they never started out like that. It was pretty late at night when it happened, and I didnt get much sleep the night before, so that might be whats causing it.

Thanks guys :content:

Hi dempig!
What is really strange is that you fall asleep so suddenly. If it was happening during daytime, it would be narcolepsy. But as it’s not the case, you don’t have to worry, it’s just “sleep paralysis” and it’s not dangerous. Sleep paralysis is rather common and most often has an adolescent onset (the average is about 17 years of age).
You’re lucky, as you are able to enter a lucid dream (WILD) easily from this state, which is not the case for everybody! :smile: