Where do you see Lucid Dreaming in 20 years?

If you trust the site Findforward.com, there is evidence to believe the phrase ’lucid dream’ is actually growing less popular.

Take a look: findforward.com/?q=%22lucid+drea … &t=century

But I would take this information with a grain of salt.

Their algorithm is searching date occurences in the same sentence where it finds a given word. Of course they will be more old articles related to lucid dreaming (or anything else) than new ones. Moreover, it’s obviously biased by random dates. Try “mobile phone” for instance, and see the results.

i dont think LD’ing will ever be that popular. i mean i look at LD’ing at a very spiritual level and when i try to explain it to friends just on a normal level theyre reactions are. COOL IM GUNNA GO TRY IT!!! but then they give up. i think most people are satisfied just with getting pissed or playing video games as a fanstasy. they dont understand the beauty of LD’ing.

Well, that’s the aspect of human nature that I was refering to. The reason we evolve our technology is to reach a greater demographic of users, whether that be dream systems, cars, plasma TVs, or medical research.

Yes, that’s a good point. If they could come up with an algorithm that factors out the bias towards old articles (It would have to be a pretty sophisticated algorithm), they would have something that was extremely useful.

I see it in the minds of a huge minority!

This is a tricky question.

I came to lucid dreaming by way of reading about Quantum Mechanics, and there are physical theories now that take the dream world into account (Bohm’s Implicate Order Theory), among other phenomena. So we can speculate about public opinion AND scientific progress AND medical progress, etc. There are alot of variables, and I think dreaming and consciousness plug into more than just the obvious stuff.

I think there are some Great Truths yet to be discovered as we explore consciousness and it’s constructs (waking life, dreams, hypnosis, psychosis, etc.) about how consciousness ties into other things once thought discrete from it.

:fly:
The Rev

I see lucid dreaming flowing out of people’s mind and into library books. Seriously, in 20 years they’ll never have figure it out and gave up on it, thus transforming it into regular books filed in Non-Fiction instead of Reference or something. Every scientist gives up on something. Lucid dreaming will probably go down the drain.

To me, lots of psychics and people of that sort making things of the supernatural and paranormal will be put out on the streets after being stripped of their jobs. The future is a cruel thing. Too bad you can’t control what’s going to happen because the future can’t be predicted.

If they made a drug like that noone would take it, or they would turn lucidity into a disease and force people to buy and take it. I can see that becoming a drug addiction in a short amount of time. That’s what happens to every drug they put on the market. Even today they say being an insomniac or being obese is a disease. False words are everywhere. Makes me sick to my stomach.

LDing is a spiritual process, yes. Which that right there puts most people on the “Oh great, that crap again” list. In the world these days you can hardly find people who are even willing to try anything except drugs or a new kind of booze.

I’m not quite sure what (if anything) your basing that on. We pretty much have discovered enough about LDing that loosing steam in further research in the scientific community would mean little to Oneironauts like us.
Lucid dreaming has been around for at least 2000 years. I doubt it’s going anywhere soon :wink:

It’s just a theory. Seriously about that library thing, it’s amazing what could happen in 20 years.

I guess you’re right about the LDing not going anywhere. LIke I said, it’s just a theory.

True, I was watching a show about alien abductions the other day. I feel that dreaming causes most of these occurances. There are stories in every culture about the phenomenon of sleep paralysis. Often people will experience near lucidity or vivid dreams that they think are real. Sleep studies performed now could help people to master lucid dreaming. If you had someone to play recordings or even influence your dreams it might be easier. If you had someone to wake you up after each REM period then you could more easily identify dream signs.

Not to mention that people have lucid dreams naturally from time to time.

Waw! :eek: Could you explain quickly (if possible) this theory, or perhaps better, make a post in the “Stuff Dream are made of” forum? I’m very interested! :happy:

Yeah, Rev, sounds very interesting…please post it in as close to plain english as possible though, for us not too familiar w/ Quantum Mechanics

I think you are only ½ right there. While lucid dreaming can be spiritual, or used for spiritual purposes, that is not the sole use of lucid dreaming. There are many people who use lucid dreaming strictly for recreational purposes. Then, there are others who do both. The point I am making here it that we have learned that anyone can learn to lucid dream not just spiritual people.

Lucid dreaming has been around for thousands of years in one form or another. Though lucid dreaming has been known by different names; it has been practiced by Tibetan Monks, Tribal Shamans, and various Pagan religions over the centuries. To be honest, I don’t think we will ever know how far back lucid dreaming goes. Therefore, your hypotheses that lucid dreaming will disappear seems flawed to me and I am curious as to how you arrived at such a conclusion.

Well, of course it will never “go away” but without the proper interest it could fade from popular culture at any time. I agree very much with what astral_minded_lullaby said about lucidity being seen as only a new age hooplaa by the majority of people who even know what lucid dreaming is by definiton. The better of us know better though :wink:

I have a strong personal belief that the oneironaut community will only reach the next level of popular interest once a reliable and effective technology is created that will allow the difficulty of achieving lucidity by natural means to be bypassed with only minimal conscious (perceptive) effort by the dreamer.

in the palm of my hand as i give it to the world. one day, part of my compnay will be on this

How so? :happy:

My lab will be the first to bring the “holy grail” technology to dreamers :puh:

lol now if i were to tell you that i would be sharing all my secrets hey :wink: will power and the ability to make others understand and to share :smile:

Are you really working on lucid dream assistance systems/technology as well? I’m just now getting a real system put together for my theory, up until now it’s just been a tall stack of papers :smile: