Slowing Down Time in Lucidity

Ofcourse I haven’t experimented with time distortion myself, so I was just speculating. I guess what I meant was, LaBerge’s movie trick can’t account soley for all ‘time extensions’ in dreams.
Your probably right, it could be a combination of the two theories.

Time is relative. Einstein came up with a formula for his relative time that has to do with your speed and its effect on time. This formula is called the time dilation factor. The time dilation factor theory says that the faster you go the slower time gets for you, because of this fact (it is also proven(, time is elastic and relative, not constant and thus time is not absolutly defined. Time and space are connected and this space-time could be stretched.

Also, adrealine released in your body in large amounts, slows down your perception of time, making you move faster in dangerous situations.

However this is only a theory, but a widely accepted one, which I beleive to be true :content:

So we would need to be moving near lightspeed to have these effects in our dreams… hehe. Anyone has a bed called “enterprise”? lol.

lol I was just suggesting that if time is elastic, and if our perception of time can be altered via adreneline, then it may be possible to alter our perception of time in LD’s …

I don’t know if it has been said before in this thread but neurotransmitters in you brain may dramatically modify your time perception. For instance, experiments have shown that duration between a cause and its effect seems shorter, probably so that it’s easier for us to make a relation between them.

In my next LD, I’m going to fly at the speed of light, that should get my adrenaline going :content:…maybe that’ll mess with my dream time.

ah i am thinking that time is the same IWL as it is in LD in accordance with Laberge’s experiments.
I do however believe that you can create a perception of any given period of time, be it 2 weeks or 2 years.
I have found that often times when i dream that i am somebody else, my subconcious will “create” memmories for that person in order to rationalize their actions and there place in my dreams, i belive that the same cane be for dreams, that you can expirience dreams of a seemingly extended period of time but only be dreaming real time, but having it feel like a long time due to the newly created “memories”

-Ogotai

lol, fits in nicely with your sig:p

but it’s not that extreme, i think it’s more like
Put your hand on a hot stove for half an hour and it feels like an hour. Sit next to a pretty girl for half an hour and it feels like a minute.
or something like that:p, but indeed, an unpleasant experience seems to take longer than a pleasant experience happening in the same period of time

I have infact slowed down a fight in a dream while I was lucid so it was like a fight of the film The matrix (believe it or not this was my first lucid and only lucid dream, it seemed to last ages, there seemed to be much more of the dream too, but I wont go into detail.)

Lol .

But are it really possible to live a life in a dream ? :eek:

I suppose everything would be a little amplified at first, emotions and stuff, :smile: :content: :cool_laugh: :grin: :cry: :eek: but after a while you would get used to it, youve seen how much and how fast the human mind can adapt to the sorrounding enviroment, well whats saying the same goes for dreams.

A long dream would only occur if you had your brain working faster than it does IRL. This happens often when something happens to a person, they’ll say it seemed to last a few minutes when it was a few seconds (a car crash for example)

You can do as many interesting things in one LD as you normally do in RL for a year or more. That can make your dream seem very long as we will remember every second of it very vividly.

Well, I only read the first page halfly… And I agree with this other person “Seriously what are we basing this on?”.

If your dream is going on for 10 dream hours but it’s only 1 hours in reality. That must be slowing down reality.

Like if you’re familiar with weed and etc, take big amounts of it and it’s like everything goes in slow-motion. Everything physical. But the mind keeps on working in what I would say seem like normal speed but it’s not. Close your eyes and start daydream and you can think for so much longer. Hard to explain because we have seconds, hours and so on.

And now I realised there are 3 different speeds/times compared to real speed/time.

1. Normal time/speed . You belive it’s normal speed/time in your lucid dream but compared to real speed/time it’s much slower but still it feels like normal speed/time. The first example 10 hours dream time is 1 hour real time. Time must be 10 times slower but your brain is so fast so you can’t notice it. But well… Then maybve that’s like slow-motion… I’m not sure.

2. Slow-motion. I’m not sure about this one. But well, I’ll give it a try. I think only physical objects can be in slow motion and you think faster than normal speed/time. Cause if you think slow also than it must take ages to realise that everything is slow cause you can’t think faster. I mean, think of the Spider sense, that’s what I mean, the other speed/time. Exactly like in Spider-man. He sees the fist coming so everything exept for his mind slows down and he can avoid it more easely.

My conclusion is that we need a new way to think about time!

Slow motion yes, altered dream length perception no. Time perception is hardcoded in our brains, I think. I haven’t heard of any psychological disease that implies altered time perception IRL.

one time i slowed down bullet time
it was really cool because i fighted people and everything was slow

IRL a dog starts to jump on a bed the sleeper becomes lucid instants before and yells slow time x100000000 then proceeds to live for hundreds of years he is talking to a DC one day and then is woken up by his dog that jumped onto him is this possible???

hmm personally I don’t think this is possible in a real time sense, it maybe that the “perception” of living for hundreds of years then waking up is more likely to occur :content:

i definatly believe it. iv said this in another thread, but im sure a lot of you out there have been woken by your alarm, hit the snooze button, went back to sleep, had a dream that felt like an hour or more, and then your alarm wakes you up 10 minutes later.

thats happened to me a number of times. and i mean really an hour or more, not just time skipping so it appears to be that long.

so if it is possible in normal dreams , im sure it can definatly happen in a lucid dream when you are conciously trying to do it.

just yesterday i woke up from a dream, took a look at the clock, went back to sleep had a dream that lasted 15 minutes for sure dream time, woke up and only 3 minutes had passed.

i dont think “slow motion” can be included in this because you can conciously slow something down by thinking of it. like visualising someone walking real slow like they are in slow motion, and thats what you see them doing in the dream. i dont think that has anything to do slowing down actual time, so more time in the dream world passes than actual time in real life.

clown