What is suppose to happen Dec 21, 2012...

Many different beliefs and rumours. There isn’t one specific known reason so don’t worry. Some believe aliens will make themselves known to the world… Some believe the world will end. These are obviously big changes to humannity… Do a search on yahoo or something and loads will come up.

They probably just didnt bother writing it any longer… :smile:

Oh, and if you watch the X-Files you’ll see it’s the 22nd of Decemeber, 2012 that you have to worry about… Not the 21st.

My aunt seems to think the world is going to end… she believes a lot of that kinda stuff. I sure hope not! :bored:

I’m going to agree with Tomas. They were just too lazy to write anymore! :tongue:

yeah, probably. I don’t know so much of this “maya calender”. They made everyday different?, how it is going to end?, why it doesn’t repeat like our calender?

I agree… they probably ran out of ideas. Or maybe thier empire ended and they didn’t have time to go on. Maybe we’re all crazy and the mayans weren’t real… they were just some crazy illusion and it’s all a twisted conspiricy! gasp That’d suck if it was the end though. Der… I wouldn’t be able to have kids by then. That sucks! I totally wanted to have a kid or two! Oh well.

mmm…I dont think anyone has to worry, I’ve learned that no prediction is right (Example: Y2K). And don’t start talking about Nostradamus…

^ totally agrees

Maybe the calendar is actually Cyclical after all :tongue:

I have yet to find a true end of the world theory. Since we’re still here…

I have never heard a end of world date that I believed and I still haven’t… But I do think something will happen on that date, just not the end. I have my reasons.

No matter how many people say they don’t think anything of it, I’m sure a lot of people will be turning on the news to see if aliens have landed etc…

I think there was research done said that possibly the magnetic forces on the planet could start working in the opposite direction close to that day… something like that.

That’s nothing to worry about. It’s happened plenty of times before.

Change of polarity is a reocurring event that happens every 200k years. except this time, we are 500k years late in change of polarity. On top of that, change of polarity is a process which takes a few hundred years. Actually, polarity is allready changing since about… +/- 1600 AD. So I don’t think that would happen @ 2012. IMO They were just to lazy to continue their calendar =D!

Since the Mayans came up with the idea, perhaps a reasonable explanation can be found within the Mayan cosmological system? Check out the work of John Major Jenkins. Here’s a little essay.

As far as I know, the Mayan calander doesn’t end on that date, it was just predicted that the world would come into a new ‘phase’ of existence. This has been misinterpreted as the end of the world by tonnes of historians and new hage people over the years.

My personal opinion…nothing big is going to happen, just another day in the life of me :smile:

While I am sure there are any number of reasons why the Mayans stopped their calendar at 2012 I highly doubt that laziness is among them.

Yeah, if they were lazy, why going through all the trouble of constructing such a remarkably exact cosmological system in the first place? It must have taken many decades to measure the rate of precession with such high accuracy. I’d call that awe-inspiring dedication, not laziness…

2001: A Space Odyssey, anyone?

December 21st 2012, is the Winter Solstice in 2012. This is the enddate of what is known as a great cycle in the Mayan Calendar. A cycle of 13 baktuns, each of 144,000 days each, that in turn create a 5125-year cycle coming to a close in 2012.

The Mayan calendar is indeed cyclical. 2012 represents not only the closure of a 5125-year cycle, but of a 26,000 year cycle, and an even larger 104,000 year cycle. This should be of at least some interest to all of us!

The years around 2012, are generally understood to be associated with a major transformation/shift of planetary consciousness. We already see this taking form, in the growth of a dreaming culture, that is just beginning here online through ld4all.

I think Mystic provided some cool info, in that article from John Major Jenkins!

Nick