Rainbow Connection

Sleepwalking and sleeptalking

Author  Message 
PaulM

LD count: 8

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

Macrophage wrote:
anamcara wrote:
There reallyisn't much you can do but tell people if they see you doing it, it's ok to wake you up ...

No! Waking sleepwalkers isn't a very good idea. Just gently lead them back to bed.
The reaction they get can vary a lot, they can feel disoriented and even frightened! So it's more safe to make them go back to sleep.. smile

Well, I wake up really soon after I start sleepwalking, and I realise almost immediately what happened, just thinking 'did anyone see me?' and returning to my bed (of course people notice, because I talk out loud as well).
But indeed people say you better not wake up someone who is sleepwalking.

Current LD goal(s): Achieve stable lucidity; Have a conversation with myself

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
Cyrus
the Virus?
cookie lover
Cyrus has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

My friend used to walk and talk alot when he was under heavy depression. The most frightful experience was when he got up, took his knife (we were 3 guys living in a dormitory room, and we witnessed it with the other guy)....and went to fridge to take a sausage

If i remember correctly he woke up before he started to eat it

But i don't know have he had any sleepwalking before/after this heavy depression period. His subconcious mind was just so full of that that it just needed to flood out when he was sleeping.

Current LD goal(s): Making LD my hobby
Anamcara
Jenius!
cookie lover

I've only know what I've read and I would imagine it's the same as waking anybody up in the fright level dept...But some people do react that way to just being startled...

Iluminada
Dreamer of Peace...
cookie lover

PaulM and Macrophage, I've heard the same about not waking sleepwalkers. Something about the sudden shock could literally scare them to death. But I've never read about it anywhere.

I'm glad you wake up shortly after though. For your safety. But I can see how this frustrates you.

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

Quote:
I've heard the same about not waking sleepwalkers. Something about the sudden shock could literally scare them to death. But I've never read about it anywhere.

It's an old urban legend and Macrophage is much nearer from the reality of facts. You can wake sleepwalkers. It has been done a lot of times. But they'll probably feel very disoriented! grin

Kixfox
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2005  Reply with quote

Hello.

My brother used to sleepwalk, and a friend of mine too.
My brother even pee'd in the drawer.

You talk about not sleepwalking in your home.
Maybe you think about your home too much when you're with friends?
So when you're asleep you try to go home or something, I have no idea.

But you should try to clean your head before going to sleep and close out all the thoughts that is dedicated to your home.

Good luck!
Kixfox alias Eric.

dreamer_chick
Somniologist
Somniologist

sleepwalking
PostPosted: Sat 02 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

This doesn't really have to do anything with LD'ing, but just dreaming in itself. Have any of you had strange sleepwalking expieriences? I always thought that when you were dreaming, your body became paralyzed (sp?)so you would not act out of your dream. But sleepwalking breaks this rule....so I'm kinda confused. whatsthat

I'm just curious....is it possible to sleepwalk during an LD? Because that could be potentially dangerous, depending on what the person's dreaming about. I'm just wonderin' lol.

nickspry
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

dreamer_chic,
Sleepwalking only happens during dreamless non-REM sleep. When you are sleep walking your eyes are open and what you are seeing is reality, it's just that your mind is in a trancelike state. You are right, your body is completely paralysed in REM sleep, so it is impossible to have a sleepwalking lucid dream.

IvoryWolf
Arrroooooo!!
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

I sleepwalk all the time. Sometimes I end up standing in the bathroom, or with my head in the fridge, but mostly I wake up at about 3:00am slumped on the couch. smile Nick's right, though, you don't dream when you sleepwalk, so there isn't any danger. It is, however, possible to sleepTALK during an LD.

Keys and Clocks
Curious Creator
Lucid Initiate

I used to sleepwalk ALL the time. Like... every night. It drove my parents crazy. Now I just constantly talk and hit people in my sleep.

dreamer_chick
Somniologist
Somniologist

sleepwalking

Yeah, I've heard that you can talk during a dream......my friend told me that you could have a whole conversation with her cousin in her sleep! lol

My brother used to sleepwalk. He'd always end up in the bathroom or the living room....I don't think I've ever sleepwalked though.

Keys and Clocks
Curious Creator
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

And it's also very cool, because they can't lie, and they'll do whatever you tell them too! We do that whenever there's a sleepover. It's funny.

dreamer_chick
Somniologist
Somniologist

sleepwalking
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

ha ha, I know! It's seems kinda cruel, but it's a lotta fun! smile

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jul, 2005  Reply with quote

Quote:
This doesn't really have to do anything with LD'ing, but just dreaming in itself.

That's right. I'll merge this topic into another recent one about sleepwalking and sleeptalking, and put them in a non-LD forum. wink

print