Improving language skills through LDing?

I don’t know if I’m posting this in the right forum, but it doesn’t seem to fit anywhere else, so I put it here.

Anyway, I’m currently staying in Japan as an exchange student, and I’m studying the language pretty much. I got an idea, when I read in Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming about some guy solving extremely complex mathematical problems in his dreams, some ice skater improving her skating skills quite a lot by means of “surrendering to the lucid dream” or something, the inventor of the sewing machine (or whatever it was) getting the idea to it from a dream. And so on.

I was, thinking, that maybe you could activate the parts of the brain working with language in the same way, and improve things like your pronounciation, listening skills, vocabulary and so on by practising in dreams. When it comes to Japanese, we have all these characters you know, so I was thinking that maybe you somehow can make remembering them easier by studying in dreams. The same goes for vocabulary. I mean, as soon as you study a new character or word, it is bound to get stuck somewhere back there in the brain, even if it appears like it doesn’t at first.

In dreams, it seems we can activate different parts of the subconsious mind. I don’t see why it would be different when it comes to language. The dream would be to be able to just read heaps of words in the day before going to sleep, or before going back to sleep in the middle of the night, and then remember them in the dream.

I have a theory when it comes to learning new words. At first, when you encounter a new word, it is registered somewhere in the brain, but since you’ve only heard it once, mr Subconsious thinks “well, it can’t be that important, let’s leave it back here for a while”. The more you hear it and use it, the closer to the surface it will get, so to speak.

I was thinking, maybe you could make a shortcut here in some way, by activating this subconsious register of words (or characters, in the case of Japanese) and while being in the dream telling the subconsious mind “I wanna remember these”.

What do you think? And does anyone have an experience of something like this? It doesn’t need to be about language.

IMO, just about everything can be learned in dreams except language. DC’s tend to talk crap, words are mixed up when I am reading them. About the DC’s; they tend to be bad @ language. Solving difficult mathematical problems would also seem weird to me, because dreaming is regulated by the right half of the brain, the one which you do not use for problem solving and such.

But, if he actually solved them, its quite possible to learn language in some way, by activating the left-side of the brain or something.

There was an experiment like this, I thougt. Tossing coins.
Maybe that was on the Dutch forum. It was on the Dutch forum but it’s posted here too.
[community.ld4all.com/t/international-ld-experiment-practice-in-ld/13865/1)

The experiment is about tossing coins. If you practice it in your LD or maybe an ND you get better IRL. Or maybe it’s not helpfull. That’s what they’re trying to find out.

im sure its possible,as ive heard of people studying for exams,tests etc., i dont see how you could’nt create a DC of Your Japanese teacher or one of your japanese freinds and speak with them and use those words you learned the day before.

im also studying japanese and have been wanting to try this for a while…

I haven’t tried does it produces any more results than IRL, but in LD try to look at different objects and name their names in other language. Or try to remember words that you learned last evening/day. Or if you meet other DC-s, try to start conversation in foreign language, even if they don’t want to follow you :content:

Well I have studied Japanese as well, and in several dreams (non lucid and lucid) i have had conversations in japanese. Alll of which had made up japanese words and it didn’t help me at all. But if you were going to try to use it to help you, i think it is possible in that you could revise what you already know.

I agree revision is probably the best way to learn in an LD, but don’t forget to have some fun too.

yeah revision is good, i was also thinking you could try to set an intention to remember the new words you learn IRL,in an LD you have a much better connection with your subconcious mind so mabye you could tell yourself that this kind of stuff is important?i don’t know…anyone got any thoughts on this?

you know if it wasnt for ND’s we would have the same technology as about 1850-1900. in lds’ you are aware and you can control stuff, in nds stuff from your wilsest imagination comes into visible and practical practise