Insomnia - Can't sleep!

If I were you I’d excerises every day or something, to tire myself out. I’d go for walks, swim, lift weights, anything like that. Also using your brain for things like reading can tire you out very nicely. I’d stay away from drugs altogether, they just limit your REM sleep, which isn’t good at all for lucid dreaming.

I feel for you Hyperion. I know what it’s like to suffer from insomnia. I despise it.

I would do everything from cleaning the house to reading books and writing short stories to get to sleep. I eventually tried prescription sleep aides but I started doing the strangest things at night and seeing the most horrible sights that I stopped that. Then it stopped all of a sudden.

I can’t say I found a cure b/c it still comes back from time to time. But I stay away from the prescription stuff.

I will have cornflakes w/ warm milk and some sugar (splenda) but sugar is better. or a cup of chamomille tea w/ honey.

I laid in bed from 2:30AM till 7AM without success. Damn this sucks.

Maybe you should visit a sleep clinic?

Do you go to bed thinking and hoping that that night you don’t have insomnia? If so, maybe that’s part of your problem.

Try keeping yourself busy right up until the time to fall asleep. Even if it means doing things you normally wouldn’t. See how that helps.

Well it’s 1.20 AM here in Croatia and I can’t fall asleep…any ideas? I heard that warm milk gets you to sleep faster , is that true? Help :help:

yeah warm milk is supposed to make you sleepy… whenever i can’t sleep i just try to lay back and relax like try to wild or meditate :smile:

I tried that but I just can’t sleep…I think that I could go in the gym right now…Im bursting with energy and when you’re trying to get some sleep that isn’t good :hyper:

lol i know the feeling where you should be exhausted yet you just stare at the roof :cry: maybe do like you said do some exercise push ups, sit ups or whatever untill you just pass out :tongue: or crawl to your bed

no I’m to lazy…I think ill just explore: The Magical and Misterious world of the World Wide Web :cool_laugh:

:grin:

Go read about the magical world of lucid dreams before you fall asleep i mean… there are plenty to read on the forums you could spend hours upon hours upon hours etc… reading all of the useful post then hey… you might even get a ld …maybe :wink: in any case have fun and sleep well

-lucid dreams

edit: oooh yeah… welcome to the forums

I actually meant to do that. Reading the posts on this forum i mean :smile:

thnx

Don’t you hate it when you get that one night after monthes of great sleep, where you just can’t seem to fall asleep? They make you tired in the morning and give you less time to sleep, and, to dream,therefore, less time to lucid dream.
I’m having one of those nights now and I’m sharing my fustrations. :sad:
It’s too hot to drink some warm milk or tea, and I have to get up too early to just wait it out.
What do you guys do when this happens to you?

(to title) Me too! For quite a few weeks :cry: . It happens.

The guy next door suggested vanilla ice cream (which works, if I had any). Try walking around, do something mentally/physically exhausting (this can be good OR bad for LDing in my experience).

Last night I got up and had a drink of pop, chatted for a bit then headed back to bed. That helped for a while, then I woke up again. Maybe it’ll com to the point where I’ll just be so exausted I’ll fall asleep no matter what.

Any other insomnia cures?

I’ve read that reading a book for like an hour in bead is a good solution with some warm milk. Be sure to have a night lamp next to you so when you done reading and feel tired you don’t need to stand to turn it off. Just extend your hand and turn off. Also try enforcing yourself to bed, that’s something I do, especially when summer’s over and I have to go back to school.

I’ve made a big topic with all the insomnia related threads I’ve found, in the hope you can find useful info.

For some people, reading helps, but for others it doesn’t. You have to read stupid books which don’t require intellectual effort. :content: Generally speaking, you have rather not to do intellectual work before going to sleep.

In a sleep laboratory, they did some “soft” researches about insomnia and they found that imagining a relaxing scene, like a landscape, was a good cure against insomnia. In the other hand, counting sheep requires a mental concentration and often leads to fall asleep later than normal.
Counting sheep no aid to insomnia

Here you can find a general article about insomnia:
Treatment Methods for Insomnia: Critical Evaluation
…but I don’t think you’ll find any practical tips.

In homeopathic treatments, you can take coffee (at homeopathic doses, of course!).
In herbal treatments or tea, chamomile, valerian and passion flower are said to be sedative.

I can stress enough the importance of a good sleep hygiene and of not doing any intellectual effort before going to sleep.
Try going to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning. Avoid napping during the day. Avoid eating a heavy meal late in the evening. Avoid stimulants like caffeine and nicotine at night. Caffeine (coca cola, coffee) has his maximal effect 5 hours after you drink it. Get regular physical exercise but not too near bedtime. Try progressive relaxation techniques to help you relax.

If you wake up during the night, don’t stay in bed but get out of it, wait for 15 mn and go back to bed. I hope all this can help! :smile:

I got a BIG problem every time i want to fall alseep i use about 1-2 hours before i sleep. When im lying in my bed and try to focus on sleeping, i start thinking of things like my driver license and World of warcraft and girls, Its like i cant help it.

Yesterday i was at my dads hous (i was sleeping there) and that night i didnt fall asleep for like 3 hours :confused: i even checked the time.

Im in the stage were i only remember my dreams but
when ever i get a nightmare i feel that i got the control to end the dream(Wake up) I really need help falling asleep

Hm have you tried drinking some hot milk? Valerian also helps very good to fall asleep easily, plus it gives a good dream recall. Or take a hot bath with lavender oil, right before you go to bed; it has a very relaxing effect on your body and mind. There are also some herbal teas which might help (linden, catnip, probably some more).

Hope this helped :smile: Good luck!

Ah il try warming some milk before im going to bed :smile: and also il try to work out more at the day so i use more of my energy.
thx for the milk tips :happy: