Rainbow Connection

The World as we know it is coming to an end

Author  Message 
Freecube
Theistic Apologist
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2005  Reply with quote

Sureal wrote:
If anyone in power told me to tatoo anything onto my arm/head in order to buy goods...

I'll go down to my nearest Church and repent my sins wink5.

A company Mastercard owns is developing a chip that contains all of your bank account info, credit card, etc. It'd be like electronic money. By human testing, they have found it only works on your right hand or forehead. Coincidence? Someone could easily put an ink mark of a name where it is located to find it for the scanner, and the mark could be the name of the world leader, the antichrist.

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
LD count: Many

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2005  Reply with quote

I doubt Mastercard had the apocalypse in mind when they developed that Freecube

Freecube
Theistic Apologist
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2005  Reply with quote

Well of course they didnt, nobody does when they're setting the stuff into motion. But what they're making very easily fits in to revelations, someone could just say, we dont take currency anymore, just the chip because that way there's no fraud, or something, and the population would generally follow IMO.

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

Freecube, a quick Google search tells me that the chip thing... it's bull wink5.

It isn't inserted into your body. And it's mostly for online use.

Check out BBC news on it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3169741.stm

Not to mention it would make no sense if it could only work in your right arm or head. It should be able to work on left arm as well (there is no real difference).

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict

[quote="Freecube"]Well of course they didnt, nobody does when they're setting the stuff into motion. quote]

So basically, we don't really have free will, we just think we do?Or are you saying the simple lack of care about the long term effects of our actions is what's going to lead to our demise?

Well, since the credit card thing isn't true....hmm...not sure what my point is. Oh well.

Well, which do you think it is, lack of free will or not caring enough? I would personally say it's the second one, but weather you could call that an apocalypse in religious terms is a sticky issue.

Dm7
Nonexist
cookie lover

I do not believe the-world-is-ending theory; however, I believe that we will have to evolve to a greater degree like we always have been in the past. Although, it may mean we would have to suffer again for something greater than we have now. Please do not misunderstand sufferings as a pointless thing to experience. Sometimes, sufferings are what we need to recognize what we did wrong and move on. WW2 didn't mean the world would end. I doubt that anything would put us, the humans, and the earth in jeopory (however you spell that). I believe that we will experience a great evolution soon and it's better to view that way than panicking, "The world is going to end!!!" Maybe this era will be called an oil age. Maybe in the future, people will think we are stupid and primitive like we do with WW2, civil war in USA, etc. Most of all, maybe they will think we're stupid that we even think the world will end soon.

I don't know about you, but I personally prefer the-greater-evolution theory. It's more beautiful that way and would make more sense with reincaration beliefs. Don't you concur?

Freecube
Theistic Apologist
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2005  Reply with quote

Sureal wrote:
Freecube, a quick Google search tells me that the chip thing... it's bull wink5.

Not to mention it would make no sense if it could only work in your right arm or head. It should be able to work on left arm as well (there is no real difference).

That's not the same item :-P

illumination
Heavy thinker
Somniologist

Apocalyptic belief systems tend to arise in a society that feels itself to be in a time of crisis. The Jewish nation under Roman occupation, feeling the cultural pressure from their ruling class who were in with the Romans, produced messianic candidates like Jesus (Joshua ben Pantera) and Shimon bar Kochba. The feeling that the cultural 'world' of a society is ending, translates into a prediction of a cosmological end. Maybe the end of the European industrial-capitalist empire is coming. What a relief! Hopefully the empire will collapse before it has succeeded in destroying every remaining culture that lives outside of its grasp. Only historical myopia makes us think that our empire is so unique, just like the Celestial Empire of China or Hitler's Thousand Year Reich thought themselves. I believe that my lifetime will see at least the beginning of the end of industrial society. In fact, the beginning of the end has already started with the breakdown of the liberal facade and the re-appearance of naked imperial aggression in the US, and here in the UK with the rapid degradation of language and culture, respectability of liberal racism, and aggressive conservatism of political discourse.

It's all too easy to see this as a sign of a great spiritualisation of matter if you are not at the sharp end. I'm not sure if, for example, the West Papuan highlanders whose economically self-sufficient and nature-friendly society is currently being destroyed by the murderous aggression of the Indonesian state, who want them out of the way for logging and mining operations, would see it in such a positive light. Would you be happy for you and your family to be murdered as part of this great spiritualisation, if you were unlucky enough to be outside or on the fringes of the empire, and in a place with exploitable resources? Maybe the idea of the Age of Aquarius after the dissolution of the material planet soothes the consciences of people in the capitalist world who depend on colonial aggression and murder to keep our supplies of cheap minerals, wood, coffee, tobacco, cattle feed, etc rolling in? Ah well, all part of Bod's great plan, never mind a few dead primitives? The logic is obvious: the faster we destroy the planet and the few remaining humans who know how to live on it, the sooner we get to heaven. Hallelujah! Consume! Consume!

Sureal
Wait, where am I?
cookie lover

Freecube wrote:
Sureal wrote:

That's not the same item :-P

That's all Google comes up with (I searched for, 'mastercard chip').

So your chip obviously doesn't exist wink5.

Illumin: I think I just found my new religion. All hail Bod in all His mightiness!

wink5

(sorry, I just couldn't resist )

Spinoza
Dream Pirate
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Gah, I hate bumping old topics, but I've taken a long break from this site and just came back.

I should have rephrased the topic. The world is not going to end. It's going to change, but we're not going to die. We will survive, just life as we know it is going to be much much different.

Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Garlic wrote:

I should have rephrased the topic. The world is not going to end. It's going to change, but we're not going to die. We will survive, just life as we know it is going to be much much different.

Usually the end of the world turns out to be nothing more than change, but change is good smile

akimi
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

true, the world in itself will not end for many years (until the sun goes supernova or whatever), but human civilisation could dissapear long before that time.

in any case hopefully if change happens it will be for the best

Taipan
Dimension's Eye
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Whats to say that the concept of 'beginning' and 'end' even exists???? We could be just an instance...

shatterspike1
Threadkiller
Dream Deity
LD count: Dry Spell

PostPosted: Sat 19 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Whoops, better get crackin' on the whalers!

Hoist the sails!
Swab The deck!
Get crakin`!
Crakin`...
Krakin!!!!

cry

Loved

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

Even though it would be a tragedy for the world to end, it would make things alot more interesting. Well for me anyway. Life is so boring. eh

print