Can animals have Lucid dreams?

Observation and comparison between humans and other animals, ofcourse :smile:

you can tell someone is lucid based upon EEG activitty though, can’t you?

Wouldn’t you be able to tell if animals got lucid, then? And asking a monkey about its dreams through sign language would be very interesting. If it could understand what you meant by dreams. you might have to wake it up during REM and tell it everything it was just experiencing is called a “dream”

Thats a good idea holy reality, I wonder if anyone’s thought of it and done an experiment before.

The problem with EEGs and things is that, we don’t truely understand the human brain, let alone other animals.

The advantage of the human brain is that you can wake the subject up and ask: were you dreaming? were you lucid? Then correlate their answers with the data on the EEG gave them.

Animals likely don’t function the same way brainwave wise and without the ability to ask questions and correlate data that way, we’ll never truely know what the EEG readings mean.

I wish someone would invent a dream recorder so we can watch them back, and even what our pets dreams that’d be a laugh :tongue:

Yeah, like the experiment where laberge had the subject move his eyes left to right repeatedly when he became lucid. Thats what proved lucidity was real. They would probably have to map whats going on in the lucid brain and maybe by luck they might catch this in an animal.

Maybe you could ask the monkey in sign language to please move their eyes back and fourth the same way. That would save trying to decipher any brainwaves or anything like that, and I’m sure if the chimp understood what lucid dreaming was, it would understand the eye movement signal.

My dog whimpers in his sleep and kinda twitches. We always say he’s having a doggy dream/nightmare… Although I don’t really know if an animal can LD. I think I’ll fence sit and stay undecided :tongue:

heh… u can always ask from ur dog or mog :tongue: !! i asked my dog that: can i eat ur food , he answer: BitE me :clap: hahahaaaa…

no they can LD, it’s inimaginable, a dog…that can’t question his life, how it’ll know what’s a dream and if the actual present is one

But the dog doesn’t have to question his life, he just has to know where he is. A dog knows when it’s awake (pobviously) so I don’t see why it couldn’t be aware of a dream (as long as it could remember it’s dreams…which evidence suggests they can’t)

but I don’t think a dog knows what a dream is…

A dog doesn’t know what or why when it comes to night and day, but I’m sure it can percieve a difference. Besides, I only said it would be possible if the dog remembered it’s dreams, which is unlikely, because mammals have a natural amnesia that blocks dream recall.

Maybe some intelligent animals can, but I doubt it. Good question.

If I could bet about this I’d go with the “No they can’t” and I will bet about U$s 5000 (If I had the money, of course)

Nobody considered that it is widely assumed (though it cannot be proven) that most to all animals do not have consciousness and do not have psychical sensations.
Animals don’t know they exist. They don’t even recognize themseleves in mirrors, how could they do it in dreams? They are merely machines but they don’t know they are. They have input and output but it is not essential for their survival to know that they exist. It’s only essential to do the input/output thing. In fact consciousness would be counter-productive (it is for most humans anyway)

Animals can’t really ‘think’ like humans, if you say they do that’s some form of antropomorfism (sp in english?).

antropomorfisms: think, feel, … , be aware :tongue:

What about primates? If it’s possible to teach a chimp sign language, is it possible to ask if they dream? And since a chimp can recognise that the mirror reflection is itself but not the “real”self trapped behind the glass, is it possible for them to distinguish between a dream and real life?

Yes I guess primates can distinguish dream and reality while they don’t understand why they both exist. Other animals are more like children who don’t know the difference at all (I’d assume that animals act exactly the same way in dreams as they do in waking life).
However, I don’t know if chimps can learn lucid dreaming (or have lucid dreams). From the brain structure it could be possible but it would be extremely rare. It’s rare among humans, and even those who master it aren’t always lucid. I doubt that primate information transimssion methods are developed enough to tell others if they had a lucid dreams and therefore spread it. I also don’t know how many of their dreams they remember. Many humans don’t remember dreams well, and for chimps it’s even less important to remember them. First, chimps are less complex, and second, dreams as such fulfill their biological function without being remembered anyway.

I believe they can have LDs due to the fact that they have REM.

One funny thing is once my pomeranian was sleeping on the floor with her legs twitching and she was dreaming, my whole family was laughing at her.

I think that it would be possible to find out if they have lucid dreams. A research was made by the lucidity institute to see if the brain patterns would be different in LD’s and they were indeed different so I think the reason that we have no idea wether animals have LD’s or not is because no one has done research to find it out. I would also like to say that i don’t think that we could say surely if animals know that they exist or not or if they are as dumb as we think because we cannot know what they are thinking