Learning to fly

It seems to be a bit difficult for me to believe that I can actually do anything. :tongue:

Last night, however, I had wonderful flying practice. For something like ten minutes I just flew around this big city that I were in at the time I became lucid, reminding myself that everything is possible every time I had difficulties. That was great. :smile:

I remember when I used to have trouble flying in a lucid dream. I found I was putting the wrong kind of effort into it.
I was trying to fly by concentrating hard on flying, as if I was trying to levitate myself or something. But then one night, I tried flying as if I was doing any other action, like walking, or moving a limb, or talking. I didn’t think about the process of flying, I just did it.

Ever since then, I’ve had almost no problems :smile:

[color=green]Hi

Jetpacks did it for :tongue: [/color]

I havent had an LD but the last dream I remember I could only fly as high as my freinds were and I was told that in the dream so since it was not an LD it was what I knew I could do so maybe when I finnaly have a LD it will be easy but I’m not sure. :peek:

i have always had probelms with flying, i mean right from the get go. i can do a lot of other things, but flying for me just doesnt seem to work. There are times when i have flown though, and to overcome it, i just… well practiced and practiced until i could lift off the ground and when i couldnt i yelled at the dream and blew it to peices :eek: . for me i think my problem is that i always try and feel where i want to be and not wherei am, so therefore i cant be where i want to be cuz i cant feel where i want to be and where i am at the same time… did that make any sense?

try the underwater swimming fly technique :happy:

This one came to me in a dream. Imagine you have swimming fins on your feet, like you have when you go diving or snorkeling.

Then imagine the air to be water and you are floating… move your feet to go forwards or upwards. This one has helped me a lot. I used to fall down all the time, or try to find high spaces, but with this technique i find i can rise easily.

I’m still afraid of going too high though…

well, when i cant fly i materialize something that can make my fly. for example:

i find myself in a situation where i cant fly. "damn… this isnt working. poof jetpack on my back. “this should do the trick!” vwoosh! off i go.

I was succsessful in flying in my 2nd ld My first attempts were failures though, just got a like a foot off the ground and sorta fell in slow motion, then i decided to try a diffrent method i just thought of how it looked when anime people flew…well i wouldn’t really call it flying it was more like jumping extremly high then useing the japanese style cloths i was wearing to glide a bit and jump off of the meteors falling down… lol cant rember much of that now though.

For some reason, I’ve never had a problem with flying. I look up, or where ever I want to go and then jump into flight. I feel natural flying. I will myself faster or slower and when I want to change direction I just do. I dont know how but I just do. :content:

I love to fly as high as I can. Once I made it into space and kept going past differant planets and stars. What a feeling :dream:

I did fly pretty well in a dream once…I was standing in a country side, in the middle of a patch of cabbage or something. I realized that I was dreaming, and I wanted to go to New York or any kind of big city and try to practice my shapeshifting/flying. I started running, and the country seemed to drop off into a sloping cliff. All I did was jump, flatten out in midair, and I was flying/gliding!

In a nutshell…

-Cliffs or similar ledges could work.
-Looking back, I realize I wasn’t thinking deeply about flying when I flew. Think of it as flexing your arm, you don’t think “pull this muscles, shorten this one,” you just do it! :smile:

hey thats a great idea thanks Q :happy: im gonna see what i can muster up tonight with that then :smile:

I think it was Pedro that first suggested the idea of making something to use for flight. Like a helicopter, cloud etc.

I use a bal point pen that drags me through the air at very fast speeds. Effective and fun!!!

I haven’t flown in my dreams for many many years. When I was little i used to fly in my dreams but i was always supported by wires like a marionette. It used to annoy me that the wires were always there. :confused: I wonder if i flew now whether they would still be there(the wires).

Flying was never hard to me. It was just like I expected it to be.
Which is exactly why it wasn’t hard, because I expected it to be easy.

I imagine the world around me moving instead of just me moving. I can fly pretty easily.

Whenever I have to do something in a lucid dream that is hard, I imagine consentrating really hard and making an indention in the material of the dream itself, like pressing down really hard while writing. Whenever I LD now, I like to have a wand with me, because it makes things easy. If something is hard to do with the wand, I press down. It usually works.

I first learned to fly in a ND where a group of kids were having a flying tutorial down the street from my house. It was kind of like learning to ride a bike–only twenty feet up without a bike or padding…I crashed through someone’s room window. :happy:

My friend who is much better at this stuff than me told me to imagine the force of gravity to be pulling up instead of down when i told him I could only fly so high.

It never worked for me, but maybe it’ll help some of you guys.

I was about to suggest something similar to pasQuale’s swimming idea: in one of my nightmares, I had to excape something bad, so I jumped in the water and started swimming. I took some disctance from whatever something bad was and dived, and then, moments later accidentaly found myself flying. So if you can’t fly, try to swim, I think as we don’t need to breathe in most dreams, the subconscious read swimming and flying as the same thing.

I’ve only tried to fly twice in lucid dreams. Once, I raised a few centimetres of the ground and then fell down and the other time, I jumped off of a ledge, fell down and woke up.

Does anyone have any tips for flying?