The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic Part II

I’ve had sleep paralysis and old hag on sepurate occations.

Last night she struck. I was half asleep and half awake. It started as i lay down to sleep in my dream. I was starting to fall asleep when I found myself unable to move.

Dream SP :tongue: I was laying on mystomach and felt the pressence of a female aproaching, I felt weighed down on my back like someone was leaning or sat on me. The pressence scared me. At this point I began to wake up, then jump back into dream.

Slowly in the dream I was able to move my left arm down so the hand wasn’t under the pillow, then threw my arm back to hit out at whatever was on me. I did it with such force that the real me did the same waking me fully up in the proccess.

This morning I had my first real Old Hag experience! :happy: It was pretty haunting, but I liked it nevertheless:

If i find that the “hag” is scary I crush it with love! Either by blowing it a kiss or smiling at it. :love: Of course i can’t actually act them out because I am paralyzed but I picture and feel myself doing them. Now the “old hag” is no longer there but the other Night i woke up paralyzed and saw the guy of my dreams standing in my doorway. I think the “person” that visits you depends on your state of mind and ability to overcome with obstacles in life. I’ve tried to Just let the Sleep Paralysis pass but if i’m too awake then I can’t stand the noise, so i move my toes to wake up.

i mean, what is she? i don’t do WILD, so if that is all, i should be fine. tell me?

From my experience, when you awaken from sleep but your body is still paralyzed - your brain manufactures a situation where you experience total fear. I believe it originated from the belief that an old woman would sit on top of you if you felt you could not move. It’s a very scary thing to experience, but less so when you understand what it is that you’re experiencing. You don’t actually have to experience an old woman, I once woke up paralyzed and thought there was an malevolent presence with a knife knocking on my front door .
You can find a good explanation here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Oh. i knew about this, and i even had sleep paralysis right after a bad dream (it was not scary, actually empowering. it was someone died in the dream). Meh, i’ll just stay away from WILD.

The Old Hag has had many faces in many countries and cultures for many centuries now. She can be terrifying when you experience her/it, but some people managed to transform her into a beautiful girl… so it’s not that bad if you become lucid during the experience and use some mental powers :happy:

You might want to check out the BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic: https://community.ld4all.com/t/the-big-sleep-paralysis-and-old-hag-topic-part-ii/13894 (it’s already part II). There are some more topics about the Old Hag to be found in the Old Lucid Lab.

I have a friend who sleeps in a highschool dormitory, his name is Stefan.

Last year he came to school really frightened or scared about something. He said during the night, he found himself sitting in his bed, unable to move and immersed in an almost tangible red light. He said he got a feeling of something tring to get inside him!!! :eek: he thought he was being possessed. I think this might be the feeling of weight on your chest but he interpreted it as something “trying to get in”.

He said he knew all of his colleagues were sleeping in the same room, and tried to tell them to wake up but couldn’t, how’s that for frustration. It’s a lot scarier when it’s a lot more real (considering that he was clearly in the dormitory with other people). He kept babbling on and on at school about how he thinks that he was possesed and stuff.

Honestly, i’m kind of tired of people coming and saying that they were abducted/possesed during the night and everyone believing him. I am also tired of trying to explain that it is called sleep paralysis accompanied by hallucinations, etc. People always tell me i’m a smart-ass or a freak and don’t listen.

I haven’t had an old hag yet, but the only way I ever got into sleep paralysis was trying to sleep on my back. I used to get it a while ago without even knowing about LD’s or WILD or all that. I think trying to sleep on my back triggers the conscious paralysis for me. Whenever I sleep on my side I don’t get the vibrations or the feeling of slipping away/twitching.

However, I think I may have had something similar to old hag, but it wasn’t a real hag. I have a fear of spiders (ive had many nightmares with spiders :eek: ). I had a very normal dream one night and woke up from it to find myself in a thought loop!! :eek: I had the feeling of impeding doom that others feel during old hag, but I wasnt paralysed, I could move. I went into the corner of my bed (by the wall) and kept searching my sheets and pillow for some kind of “white spider”. I was absolutely sure that I was seeing it move around in my bed, and I couldn’t believe it was happening. It obviously wasn’t a normal spider, it was huge and white, and there are no spiders in my country larger than a nickle. Eventually I couldn’t find it but was sure that it was still there so I went to sleep in the other room. :sad: damn it I hate when this happens.

What was this? Was this old hag?

with Old hag you are always paralysed, so it wouldn’t be this experience.

it was obviously some kind of hallucination. anyway the ideea of having a short, ugly old hag sit on you and keep looking at you sounds horrifying.

I don’t know how i’m going to try to LD tonight, im too scared :eek:

check this out. This is how I imagine the hag:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fuseli_nightmare.jpg

How do SP feel ?
Hard question I know , but Its hard to know ! :wink: Im not sure whether I`ve made it to Sp or not :sad:

A few nights ago while I were trying to WILD , or I said to myself "this night will i wake up at 4 am " for WBTB, but i said every time i breathed , i heard a laughter ,it was a loud scary laughter , badguy in a movie … but I knew it wasn`t dangerous and just ignored it and it disappeard! :cool_laugh:

But how does SP feel like ?
Is it necessarely to not can move AT ALL or ?
And must you have SP to WILD ?

Petter

For some reason, i REALLY want to have old hag. i hear about how scary it is, but also reading about the succubus parts in thread 1 was what made me want to do that. also, you can enter a LD. i had SP once, but i wasn’t even scared. it was complete daylight out, and i felt fine. i just went to sleep again.

Come on. “Old hag” is almost a medieval idea. If you have ever experienced sleep paralysis there can be a feeeling of a prescence in your room. It’s happened to me many times and is actually a lucid dream. you can convert it into something great if your mind allows.

It’s not a dream because it happens during sleep paralysis and while awareness is hovering between waking an dreaming. Furthermore, you can only transform it into something pleasant IF you can become lucid during the experience and IF you have the mental power to change it. And that is not very easy imo, because if you’re nonlucid initially, the terrifying fear can be difficult to overcome once you become lucid. It’s not all that straightforward.

Sleep paralysis in my experience is a very brief stage where you cross over into dream sleep. If you experience "old hag " type hallucinations then you have allready crossed into dreaming and can convert this into a lucid dream by doing a reality check. I’m sure because I do it regularly. I have found that I can break out out of the paralysis and roll out of my own body, becoming lucid in my own room. If you are paralysed without any auditory or visual hallucinations then you are probably still awake, but once any “old hag” type phenomenon is experienced your view of your room is a dream view and lucidity can be quickly induced.

nickspry, any advice on how to induce SP?

True, but the SP and Old Hag experience are still no dream or part of a dream, beit lucid or not. The Old Hag experience is about hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations, which are different from a real dream. But you’re right that you can induce LDs from SP.

There is still an incredible confusion between Old Hag/sleep paralysis trouble and HH/WILD. I’ve about 100 LD’s and never saw any Old (nor Young) Hag. Most of the WILD’ers never experienced Old Hag, unless they had the sleep paralysis trouble before and became lucid dreamers later.

The Old Hag syndrome is probably due to the melatonine rate. And even despite this, most of the sleeped paralyzed people never experienced Olg Hag, so that just about 1% of the population are subject to the OH syndrome. By the way, they do no more see an Old Hag, they generally see little green men. :tongue:

Well, all the scientific research being conducted with Old Hag experiences have pointed to a combination of HH and SP.

[size=75]From: “Hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations during sleep paralysis: neurological and cultural construction of the night-mare.” - Cheyne, 1999[/size]

I used to always have old hags when i was young. They would normally turn up as a big scary animal like a black bear or a gigantic wolf. And the weird thing was that they always used to happen whenever i changed around the positions of my room. And they used to scare the living day out of me… so now everytime i have my room switched i get kinda scared :tongue:
But i do want to experience it again though cause i reckon now that i know about LD’ing i could possibly change the old hag into something else. I remember them being really really vivid to… and i would always wake up just as the old hag had attacked me.
I did have sleep paralysis about a month ago aswell, it was an attempt at WILD, and i was in a dream involving weird things, and i had a recording playing in my headphones repeating the words “you are dreaming”, and during the dream, i heard this and went Lucid :content: But then everything went black and i could feel my normal body again, but my eyes were closed tight and i was shaking violently, then i felt a humoungous pressure on my chest, but still couldnt see anything… then i thought to myself that i could be on the verge on an OBE, so i tried to “jump” out of my body, but just would myself up :sad:

MiTcHy