Author  Message 
The HB
LD4all addict
LD4all addict
LD count: 11

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2005  Reply with quote

Snape wrote:
Hebrew2 wrote:
Have you ever tried sleeping with your eyes open? Works for me.

On a side note, I haven't had a headache in about a year either...

i have headaches all the time. I only worry about my health when i haven't had a minor headache for about an hour.

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
Wolf
Pshy psh psh...
just the colored stars
Wolf has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 183+

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

Insomnia, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........

Man, I can't sleep for anything. TV off, no comp, eyes closed, in my normal sleeping position, no games or books to distract me, and I still can't go to Lala Land before 5am!

masterofdementia
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

You probably all hate me for saying this, but I kind of miss my insomnia. I really like the feeling it gives me, it's like a natural/free high and I'm a big pot smoker but have been completely broke for ages. But I'm also a really really lazy person and the only time I get any inspiration to do anything is in the middle of the night when I'm really tired.

I just wish it was easier to control. Sure I can make myself stay up all night without much problem, but that's likely to spiral out of control and mess my sleeping patterns right up and may cause a relapse into the massive bouts of insomnia I'm prone to.

Also whenever I try WBTB, it is nearly impossible to go back to sleep and actually is impossible to go back to sleep if I'm intent on lucid dreaming.(or intent on anything for that matter) Usually the only way I can get back to sleep is to find a boring movie or tv program that isn't so boring that i choose to ignore it completely. And this never seems to result in any lucid dreams.

From what I've read WBTB is supposed to be the most efficient lucidity inducer but if i can't get back to sleep it's not gonna help much. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe try it earlier? How early is too early to be in REM sleep?

moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005  Reply with quote

if you have trouble going back to sleep, it would probably be best to keep the period you are awake during WBTB as short as possible. Some just wake up with an alarm and then go back to sleep right away...

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
?who?

wbtb methods
PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

I find you have to experiment heavily with the # of hours you sleep, when trying WBTB. For me, four hours of sleep simply doesn't work...I wake up too much and have difficulty going back to sleep. I am definitely one of those who does better in life on 4 hours than 6 hours of sleep, so, if I set my alarm for 5 hours, I wake up far groggier than 4...and stand a good chance of going lucid if I sit up in bed for 10 minutes, turn on the light, get a drink of water, and then fall back asleep. Which is easy to do because I'm so groggy.
Then I set the alarm for forty-five minutes later...almost never fails as far as producing an intense dream, if not lucid. However, I would add that this method has produced some of the most frustrating "dream interrupted" moments I've had. Don't know why this would be.
Also I've had good results for LD with trying a 45 minute nap during the day, when I'm feeling just a little tired. If I'm exhausted, this doesn't work. But 45 minutes of light sleep at about 2 or 3 pm has given me some of my most intense lucid experiences.
Also, timing music to go off about twenty minutes before your alarm in the morning can have some good results. The key is finding the volume, and the gentleness (ie. probably jazz or ambient) that will enter your mind but not wake you.
Last thing: when quite tired in the afternoon, drink a cup of coffee, then fall asleep. This can have some good results.

PistGurl
Ruler of LD4all
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec, 2005  Reply with quote

I had a month long period of not being able to sleep at all.

masterofdementia I know what you mean. X3 It's great.

It felt so horrible to not really be aware of anything when I needed to be...but when I just relaxed it was great, woozy, tripping out...natural acid. xD

My insomnia was cured by being completely destroyed and crying myself to sleep. o_o;

Not really a good thing...but damn did that sleep feel good. It was worth it.

omega3
Generic Lurker
cookie lover
LD count: 200+

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006  Reply with quote

Wolf wrote:
Insomnia, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........

Man, I can't sleep for anything. TV off, no comp, eyes closed, in my normal sleeping position, no games or books to distract me, and I still can't go to Lala Land before 5am!

You and me both....well the go to sleep before 5am part. grin

Sepultura123
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006  Reply with quote

It is just me or LD and OBE improve the way of falling asleep more quickly.

At least with OBE , after I try to sleep normally , for me its more easy that before.

Basilus West
Cat of Ulthar
LD4all addict
LD count: 199

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006  Reply with quote

Relaxing helps to fall asleep. But we can't say LD does, cause you can provoke insomnia by counting or having another mental exercice.

Petter
Suddenly Around!
cookie lover
LD count: 5ish

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006  Reply with quote

The only times I really havent been able to fall asleep has been after trying to do WILD yes

Sepultura123
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006  Reply with quote

I dont know I think me I fall asleep more quickly...

At least for AP im sure because its proved that relaxing get better and better after time.

Tggtt
Quest Doctor
cookie lover
Tggtt has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

3 hour sleep
PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

Hahaha, i can only feel asleep in my dreams!

If i try some techiniques told here, i can get a 3 hour sleep!
(I happened...)

The night seems to be most active part of the day for me, even if my body is exausted.

lach1 lach1 lach1 lach1 lach1

hahaha, I think that noticing Im asleep may work as a RC for me!!

Spectral_Observer
Celestial Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

The key is not to think about trying to sleep. If you keep thinking thoughts like, "I just gotta get to sleep or I'll be useless tomorrow", you'll only stress yourself out. It's actually good to let your thoughts wander when you're tired because you'll often wander right to sleep.

Odds are though, if you can't sleep you just aren't tired physically. You said after school you are exhuasted, well it's probably just your mind is exhausted and your body feels the same way. I get that same thing after work. The best home-grown, Bona-fide way to solve that issue is as simple as it is challenging: exercise! I always, whether I feel like it or not, go for a mile walk after work. It not only eases my worktime stresses but also effectively uses up my excess energy. Motivation is the only problem with this, so you're just going to have to force youself to get to it. It's well worth it in the end, and I can fall asleep with no drugs or intoxicants in roughly a half hour almost every night because I don't have the day's stresses hanging over me and I am physically exhausted.

Shem
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

ok, just wondering, I had a case of not-sleeping until 7 in the morning the other day, then i had an LD, then last night I didn't sleep again. (which was annoying, as I have an Arctic Monkeys tonight, and i go back to school tommorow)

Anything significant?

mgroat
Carpe Noctem
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

masterofdementia wrote:
and the only time I get any inspiration to do anything is in the middle of the night when I'm really tired.

I'm like that to, I feel like I get more done after midnight than during the rest of the day. I think part of the reason is that there's nobody else awake to distract you. It's also a lot easier to get to sleep after staying up until 2:30 doing your English homework.

<mod>The discussion continues in Part II moogle </mod>

print