Language and Lucid Dreams

:uh: I can only imagine what’s said then :rofl: my household is spanglish too.

I have to admit. Last night was the first time I heard someone speak to me in Spanish. He didn’t say much. I had even seen my grandmother and even she didn’t speak Spanish. Nor did my mom’s neighbor and that’s all she speaks.

I had another dream where I was talking to my wifes mother in spanish… it seems in my dreams, like IRL. If I have to speak spanish to a DC (cause thats what I would do IRL) I will also do this in the dream… otherwise its just plain old english.

But sometimes explaining things in spanish is easier than english.

For the last years or so most or all of my dreams have been in english (even though my native language is spanish). I’ve dreamnt in Japanese once. :grin: I was quite fluent at it too! Pity I don’t recall half of what I said.

Well, I come from a finnish family but have lived in Sweden all my life, so in my dreams I speak mostly swedish but finnish with people who speak finnish IRL.

I have had some dreams in english, and I think I also spoke very good french in a dream. :smile:

Most if not all dreams i had nowadays are in english even though my mother tongue is spanish. I have to consider that english is my second language at least in writing and reading if not talking, im more of spanglish than spanish.
In my dreams i talk perfect english whereas irl i never speak english unless someone does to me which is extremely rare.

I’ve dreamed in a lot of different languages; Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, Pig Latin, backwards English, and some kind of dream language that I’m strangely fluid in even IRL (those are the ones I know) and some others that I don’t know (I hafta check my DJ). :cool:

my native language is lebanese, but i’ve had dreams where there was arabic, english, french (fluent in those three), swedish (i know a bit of swedish), russian (soviet national anthem), german (a poem), anglosaxon (beowulf), old norse (also beowulf :tongue:) (last two only in written form), quenya (high elvish), and parseltongue (well it sounded like it but i dunno what i said) :tongue:

I was speaking english in a dream yesterday, because a DC was foreign. It was actually english, and as difficult to pronounce as english is IRL. It is a lot easier to sing in english.

I have had dreams where DC’s have been speaking japanese, french, and italian. If it is a lucid dream, I can sometimes understand the meaning behind the words, but not the words themselves. I have also heard the native language of Ceeia, a made-up dream world, and been singing in it countless times…i doubt that would make any sense IRL at all!

Heh. I have some weird talent for languages. I speak Portuguese and English fluently; French, Spanish and Italian quite well; am learning Arabic and Japanese (I already can write in Arabic, and I think I’m getting better at it than I am at Spanish and Italian), know sign language and braille (using both the eye and the index finger to read, though the finger needs constant practise and gets confused at times).

In my dreams, all these languages (plus Norsk, Dutch and Sweddish, Latin and a bunch of made-up ones) appear—I have entire dreams in one language, polyglot dreams and so on… Also, I noticed a lot of the gibberish print turns into when I look at it twice is just some randomly disposed ciryllic letters and japanese syllables.

Hmm… When I was studying to sit the Cambridge Proficiency test, I would do 16 exercise pages plus two 250-word compositions a day, and have two hour classes every two days. By the end of the THIRD MONTH living like that, I was not only speaking and dreaming in English, but thinking in English, as I still do nowadays when I’m interacting with something in English.

Ah, que bom que você tentou falar a minha língua!
(Hey!, how nice that you were trying to speak my language!)

But, hey, what you were trying actually works. When I go to Argentina and don’t know how to say something, I usually speak slowly in Portuguese. It works better than speaking portuñol (Portuguese+Spanish mix).

I dream in french on ocassion. Been studying french for many years and taking some courses in university. I truly believe I am speaking real french. It just comes out a lot easier and I understand it more easily when it’s spoken.

I dream generally in norwegian .

But I recall english , but that is mostly in connection with this forum or LDing in general ! :wink:

I have been speaking more and more english in my dreams the last couple of weeks. It is as difficult in those dreams as it is IRL! I am planning a trip abroad in early spring…could it be a subconscious way to prepare? It is still awkward to speak english IRL.

Most of my dreams are in Spanish, since my first language is Spanish. But once in a while I have a dream in English, which is my second language. And I recall having two dreams in French, the first time it was really easy to me to speak in French but the second time my accent was terrible (as it is in RL)

I dream a lot with stuff in english :happy: Sometimes japanese too. But I don’t remember ever dreaming with stuff in spanish…

I’ve always dreamt in English, however I don’t know how long it’ll be until I’m dreaming in my own language! :lol:

I´m German, but now and then I dream in English which might be because I study English at university and sometimes write in English on forums, fanfiction etc.
However, what seems weird is that often when I dream in English the accent of dream characters I talk to is absolutely flawless. :eh: Any meaning for that? Does it mean my subconsciosness has mastered English better than I have? Or does it have to do with the theory that in dreams we have access to capacities of our brain that are not available to us in waking life? Does anyone have an explanation for this?

I dream and speak in English and sometime in Indonesian…

My dreams usually involve Lebanese, English, French, but also sometimes i’ve had German (although I dont understand german), Swedish, and sometimes languages that I’ve never heard in my life, and that sometimes I can’t recognize and have very wierd phonology. :tongue:

Ok, I’ve officially had all kinds of languages in my dreams AND hypnagogia. :tongue:

29 Feb 2008 there is now a new “Foreign language in Dreams” topic. So I will lock this one and link them. click for new topic :moogle: