Alcohol and dream recall

I have read many times that after you drink your DR is quite poor. Yesterday I had 4 beers and my DR this morning was very good. I could remember 4 dreams, 2 with a lot of details whereas which is much better then usually. Any ideas why it could happen?

Alcohol could make the amount of REM sleep less. When the alcohol is metabolised, you could get a “rebound effect” to make up for the lack of REM. I get that, when i sleep for a long time after drinking, but usually, i can’t sleep at all if i drink.

I know that alkohal make you have less REM sleep. That is why I was surprised to remember so much from my dreams. I went to bed still being drunk at about 1am and got up at 8 so in theory my dream recall should be bad.

Alcohol DEFINATLY messes with your dream recall.

Last night I drank about a half gallon of vodka :eek:

I was freaking drunk. Staggering about, breaking dishes and knocking over furnature. I fell onto my bed and I was out like a light.

Normally I have like 5 dreams a night and I log them all. Last night I had no dreams. I woke up in conditions I will not get into becasue they are disgusting.

But the key is this, I didn’t recall any dreams.

Oh, and I’ll never drink liquor again… seriously.

I drank a modest amount last night, and remembered just as many dreams as I normally would; quite a few. I’ve had lucid dreams while having a hangover and so on, so I don’t worry about the effect of alcohol too much. I guess if you drink enough that you pass right out, then your dream recall will be poor, but that is reckless anyways.

when i drink a lot i dont remember any of my dreams. at all.
i may recall one if im worken up during it, but id still be hazy about it

This does not have anything to do with recall, but it did help me achieve a lucid dream. I thank you liquor. A few days ago, i went to wing night, which is a pitcher of beer and 10 wings for 8$. So i had a few specials and eventually went to bed. When i drink, like most people, i get dehydrated, which makes me wake up freakishly early. So i got up at 5am, after quenching my thirst with some sunny D, i went back to bed, at which point i realised i was dreaming, i looked at my hands, said: increase lucidy now, and picked up a car and threw it. My last lucid dream was a few years ago. THis helped me achieve lucidity. It was like a wake up bag to bed that forces you to get up. I thank you beer.

I was drunk once. The only thing I found different about the dream is how colourful it was! It was rainbow everywhere!
I didn’t have very good recall of the dream after though. Just the rainbowness.

Drinking at night messes up with my dream recall… Although the usual glass of wine doesn’t really affect it anymore, not that I’m aware of it. But I don’t think it helps—nor that it impedes you from LDing. Except for placebo effect. But then again, it would be smarter to make water or hot milk your placebo, they help you sleep better. :tongue:

Well, I’ve never been drunk in my life, so I wouldn’t know.

I did get close once, however, and I didn’t get any sleep at all that night, so I doubt it counts.

im not sure why but i find that drinking a moderate amount of alchohol (4-5 beers) helps my dream recall and vividness of dreams. Also I’ve found it to be extremely helpful with acheiving WILDS… I think its just different for everyone :confused:

i experience both nights with great and poor recall drinking. the amount may have an effect on it, so i guess i better go do some testing

I remember once I was drinking, i got up an after an hour or so when I got into the shower i realised that I had dreamt a portion of what I previously remembered as happening IRL. And I had been completely convinced it was real. The party had continued in my dream. And I just found it funny that I didn’t realise sooner. So… that can happen as well. The memory of the dream was as good as the memory of real life, in a drunken state.