Sleeping too much, how do I fix this?

I have been sleeping WAY too much in the past month. I sleep, on average, 12 to 14 hours a day. You may be asking… why is this a problem?

It is for me. I have no reason to awake in the morning, aside from my girlfriend of course, but she is away until the end of the year. More then half of the day I just sleep.

This is wonderous for dreaming, a couple of days I had a personal record of seven dreams.

The thing I want to do though is this. I want to be able to sleep for about 8 to 9 hours and not feel tired when I wake up. When I use an alarm clock I still feel tired. Right now I just sleep until I am not tired… I usually awake after about 8 hours but I’m still tired and I easily drift off when I close my eyes again. How do I stop this?

In all honesty, the main cause of tiredness is due to an inefficient use of energy. Mostly, this comes down to lifestyle, and diet.

As far as lifestyle, I’d recommend increasing your activity levels. Exercise. Walk around the block on a sunny day. Do something.

As far as diet, I’d recommend eating as natural a diet as possible. Limit the amount of processed foods that you eat. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Etc.

Waking up at the wrong time will also leave you tired. Plan your sleeping schedule such that your alarm will sound at the end of a sleep cycle.

You could do something if you live by yourself atm. Get an alarm clock and put it in the farthest room from your bed, put it on super super super super duper loud, and set the alarm at what you want. When you wake up, you will walk to the room and turn it off, by the time you walk back your not tired anymore and awake.

I look at it this way, when you wake up you still kinda don’t know what your doing. You just WANT TO TURN THAT DAMN ALARM OFF, with no other thought, and that will keep your thoughts away from being tired. IT WORKS! Try it out, and tell me what you think :cool:

Sometimes i’ll come home from school on a Friday and have a nap for three hours. My mom thinks i’m anemic. That means that I’m tired all the time and pale. I had to get a blood test to see if I do have anemia. Results arn’t back yet.
And at the risk of sounding like my health teacher, try to eat a balanced diet. that might help. Good luck! :smile:

Sometimes i’ll come home from school on a Friday and have a nap for three hours. My mom thinks i’m anemic. That means that I’m tired all the time and pale. I had to get a blood test to see if I do have anemia. Results arn’t back yet.
Like Redifin suggested, try the alarm clock trick. It works for me. Too many times have I tried to thrown my alarm clock across the room and missed the bus.
And at the risk of sounding like my health teacher, try to eat a balanced diet. that might help. Good luck! :smile:

when i smoked, I’d come home around 5 and just go to sleep. I had the best dreams during that time. Now I go to bed around 11 and my dreams suck. you should be glad of having the oppurtunity of wasting the day away.

From the sound of your post it sounds like you need a reason to get up in the morning. So I agree with the above poster that recommended a change in lifestyle. It could also be a symptom of depression. If you have other symptoms like feeling sad all the time, low energy (even after you have been awake for a while) suicidal thinking etc. you might want to consider getting help. I am only pointing this out because it is a possibility. However, from what you posted you sound just bored since your girlfriend has been away.

There is such a thing as too much sleep. While getting 14 hours of sleep may seem great especially once you become good at lucid dreaming. With 14 hours sleep you could easily have lucid dreams that last 2-3 hours (perhaps more). The problem with this is that getting too much sleep can have an opposite effect causing you to feel tired all the time. You need to break that cycle. Perhaps find a hobby that interests you. If you are not working, consider taking a fun class at a community college. Many such colleges have non-credit classes you can take at low cost where you can learn anything from art to yoga.