Saying "I'm not going to brag," is really bragging

AM I RIGHT, HAHAHA (quote from the motion picture the Anchorman)

But seriously, when someone says , “I’m not going to brag” they really are bragging.

For example.

“I’m not going to brag here, but I drive an expensive car”

Do you guys agree.

::bored::

Yep, for sure.

It’s the same as when someone begins their sentence with, “No offense, but…” You know they’re about to offend you. I don’t think anyone has ever said “No offense” to me and then not completley offended me with the comment that followed. :tongue:

EDIT: Fixed up your message title, which was being cut off.

Yea, I’ve thought about this before and I am certainly on your side…

What I do is if someone says “I’m not going to brag” quickly say, “Then dont.” And change the subject :content:

You are SO right :content: !!

And another one is :

Oh no , I almost said that

My favorite is “Can I ask you a question?”

Think about it for a minute. What you are doing when you say that? You are ASKING A QUESTION!

So I have come up with some responses:

1. You already did.

2. Yes, you may ask a question, but only one. And you have already asked it.

3. No, you may not ask a question. But you already HAVE asked a question. In your asking whether or not you could ask, you have blown a hole in the very fabric of logic. Very soon, we will all turn into air fresheners. Nice work, guy.

I simply adore when people see my busy status on an instant messenger and shoot this one: “are you busy right now?”

If I don’t answer, they start sending “Bruno? Bruno, you there? … BRUNO!” or nudging me if it’s MSN.

If I do answer even if it is to say I AM busy right now, they ignore that and start a conversation.

If I go offline, they call me to yell at me because I must have blocked them.

:eek:

Well, I have to say that I don’t necessarily believe that someone is “bragging” per se. B/c I’ll be the first to admit that I use that phrase and the “no offense”. And in my defense, I say it so that the person could remain in a neutral tone.

If you’re talking with someone that you really don’t know then why not use those phrases. You want to keep the conversation, like I said, neutral and not have someone think you are personally attacking their thoughts or what not.

Am I making sense? When I want to brag, I usually say “okay, let me brag about…”

i agree that the person is still bragging or still offending someone when using those phrases but it lessens the impact of what follows. Sort of like using the word “please” for something that is a request anyway. Using “please” doesn’t make the task easier but for some people they feel more inclined to do it.
Personally i don’t care whether or not people say please to me and i get annoyed at people who require others to say it especially when it is that persons job to complete the requests of others.

Bruno :

Dont have msn up when buzy :tongue:

or have it on “show as not innlogged”

I have to agree with all you people. There’s this one funny case with msn that I have…

Sometimes I’ll put my busy status up. If I do I’m usually literally busy and either don’t want to talk or want to stick to only a few select people. (this is it most of the time) People still pop up though. :wallhit:

Q pointed this out the other day (not an exact quote): People think, “Oh, Wolf has his busy message up for someone else, it’s okay if I message him.” :razz:

Ahh… good times, good times… one day I should just block everyone on my list and take a deep breath.

Then unblock them.

What fun! 10,000 boxes all at the same time!

dies

(And yes, I DO love it. hugs everyone :hugs: )

(I didn’t do that, Bruno. :shy:)

YES YOU DIDETH! You hugged everyone and everyone has seen it! :content:

I used to have all my contacts blocked and de-block those who I wanted to talk to, but people managed to discover they were blocked and got cross with me. :cool:

Someone’s going to have to explain what your responses have to do with the question asked? Because I’m lost!

I DON’T CARE!!!

:razz:

continues to venture off-topic

hugs everyone again- eh- for the first time

[size=92](Which I didn’t doeth that either.)

( :wave: Bruno)[/size]

on-topic

ahem

I personally like to show off a little bit. The key for talking with me is: let me! :razz: I’ll be done in 5 minutes and you won’t have to hear it again. Cut me off and I will not stop bugging you- ultimately making it a lot worse than it would have been in the first place.

Me too !

[size=75]I forgot the name of the topic while reading !! [/size]

/me hugs wolf back :hugs: