the BIG 'Help me with my computer!' topic

And AMD is beter in generall. More relaiabel and pentium is kinda gay.

take the AMD, i have a comp with AMD and one with Pentium, the AMD is 0,6 GHz lower than the Pentium, and the Pentium have 256MB more RAM, both comps have same amounts of disk space, and about the same things on the, and the AMD is WAYYYY faster than the Pentium, Intel SUXX and AMD ROXX

Well, unless it’s an Athlon XP. That thing needs liquid nitrogen instead of a fan.

It’s an Athlon 64. Not XP.

in this case, go with the AMD. being that its a 64-bit, it will be vastly superior when a proper 64-bit OS shows up (no, windows XP 64-bit is not a proper 64-bit OS).

however, i generally tell people this: AMD is a gaming CPU, and Intel is an office CPU. so if you want a gaming rig, AMD, if you want something that can do all kinds of work with good performance, then go for intel. simple as that.

Windows aint proper anything, thaught you knew that, and AMD outclasses Intel in any way, i have tons of friends that have tried both, and many kinds of processors, AMD is the over lord when it comes to this, if you dont count the 8TB processor from the middle east :tongue:

You should be aware that the Athlon 64 will only be better to the software that works with 64 technology. For example, Windows will be a lot faster, but Microsoft Notepad will not be increadibly better…

Anyway, I would take the AMD too.

Same here.

Yes, get an Athlon, but you don’t have to get the 64 bit, you could get a 32 bit and it would still out-perform a pentium
:smile:

Ack, I need a manual for this. :bored: (Tho I’m a nerd, I couldn’t make out which was best…)

Thanks for the replies guys.
I guess AMD is better, but someone pointed this out to me on another forum “unless you get heavily into using your system for multiple things at one time - or for demanding applications like AutoCAD and new games - you probably won’t notice much difference between the chips.”

I was going through a Best Buy flyer and saw this- Intel Pentium 4 processor 516 with 17" flat screen CRT monitor. 512mb memory, 200GB hard drive, and dual-layer DVD burner for $599 (canadian).

I would definitely go for the AMD… The P4 is more expensive and the amd is faster per mhz than the P4 and the amd is also 64bit while the P4 is 32bit.

The AMD64 runs quite cool actually… My amd64 3500 runs fine with the stock heatsink which is rather silent. I believe the P4 has not surpassed AMD when it comes to both heat and power consumption. The old amd k7 was indeed very hot, but the new ones are way better when it comes to heat.

Well, if you arent into games and want a budget pc, then go for the amd sempron. The budget processors still give more bang for the buck than a P4. The amd is usually easier to upgrade as well, if you decide to upgrade some time in the future. With P4, you would have to throw the mobo in the trash, since the future cpus will probably have a new socket configuration.

So i honestly see the reason in paying more for a intel which is inferiour.

If you want a cheap and good pc, then you might also want to check computer only stores which build/assemble the pc themself. These will usually outperfom any oem computer that you buy at your standard electronic shop and is cheaper as well.

Being a Mac user myself, I dont know so much about the AMD vs. Intel performance (although I’ve really liked the AMD machines that I’ve used).

I will say that ever since I switched from my 32-bit G4 tower to my 64-bit Powermac G5, the performance gains have been tremendous. 64-bit is the way to go.

My computer is infected with a dialer that can’t connect and is blocked. The thing is, it keeps re-installing itself everytime I delete it. Not that it’s causing me any damage, it’s just annoying. How do I find thesource of that program’s respawning, what can I do about it? I’ve already scanned the system lots of times for viruses and dialers.

hmm try msconfig? and see if it’s in the startup somewhere.

if you have win XP type msconfig in the run prompt.

then you can go to answersthatwork.com to see what else is in your startup that you don’t want there and delete it.

Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, CWShredder => good programs for removing such things :smile: Tried them yet?

I’ve tried Ad-Aware, but it doesn’t detect anything, and Spybot, which finds and deletes the problems, but the problem is that the thing is detected again every time I restart Windows. It creates many files in the Temp folder, which run as processes. I blocked them all and erased them with Eraser that overwrites each file something like 35 times, but as I restarted Windows, there were more files in Temp. I need to find the process that creates those files.

use REGcleaner, you can set up your install list, programs, software, backups etc with it