superstitions

Isn’t killing a Daddy Long Legs bad luck though?

well isn’t rain bad luck :tongue:

Here is some superstitions about dreams

In sweden
it is said that if you pick seven different flowers on Midsummer Day and then you’ll put them under your pillow you will dream about who’s you are going to marry

I remember an old one about dreams…
Friday dreamt
Saturday told
Will come true
No matter how old

/me shudders :scared: at some of the weird dreams she has had on Friday night’s and posted on Saturday

I’ve heard that one in a different form - “if you tell someone your dreams they wont come true”. For some reason when I was younger I thought that if I didnt tell someone about a dream it would come true, which was quite worrying when I had nightmares! :razz:

Another one: crossing someone on the stairs is bad luck

Well I think this fits this topic,

if you wish someone Good luck in sweden, you can say “I hold my thumb(s) for you”

I try to break away from illusions forged pits of an ilogical mind, but then I always tell myself, “anything can happen…” But, can’t it only happen to you if you believe in it that much?

As far as my superstitions go, I split poles, open umbrellas inside, and do just about anything else to mock superstitions, but I can’t help from the occasional ‘knock-on-wood’ or ‘spit-on-the-broom’ (if a broom touches your foot you’ll go to jail) procedures. And, I can’t say that I don’t still possess a luck rabbit’s foot from years ago :tongue:.

Im not superstitius , at least not to the regular stuff.

But when I play pool for instance I hate to get a to easy shot , Ill just miss.Off course it shouldnt be that way , but it is , I belive it is because Im a bit “superstitius” :wink:

Meh, I throw salt over my shouler when I spill it.

Breaking a chain letter is said to be bad luck.

Actually, our students seemed to have gotten a chain letter. 3 of them gave a letter to me. I don’t plan on resending them though. I’m not really superstitious at all but for some reason I thought I would rather see what bad things could happen to me than the good if anything would happen at all.

One bad thing has happened to me so far since I got that. In class today, I put my hand over a table so that I could lean my weight over it. I didn’t see though that there was a thumbtack where I was going to place my hand. Unfortunately, I already put my weight on my arm as I let it down the thumbtack. The thumbtack didn’t just prick my palm… it went straight through the skin. When I lifted my hand to see what happened I saw that half of the thumbtack had pierced through my skin. I had to pull it out of my hand after that.

One thing of note though was the letter said that the ‘bad luck’ shouldn’t happen until 4 days you received the letter without continuing the chain.

Okay, one more that I actually believe in–when my palm itches I believe I’ll be getting money. Actually, I am as of yet to be proven wrong of this…:wink:

I can’t remember which hand it is, but i was always told if one palm itches it’s money coming in and if the other one does… it’s money going out :eh:

That’s exactly what I’ve been told about itchy palms Magnus. I didn’t know to not scratch it though…

here’s one:

never let a knife’s tip, of any kind, point towards anyone. It means death will come their way.

I’m so guilty of moving everyone’s knife at the table when I see it pointing towards someone. And when we go out to dinner with other people, I break a sweat.

What is superstition? It is a conditioned response to experience in which either the cause has been misidentified or for which the rational justification has been forgotten and the response hs been ritualized.

At the back of all superstitious behavior lies some rational thought based upon someone’s original experience. Attempting to rediscover it however, is guaranteed to frustrate.

Eoghan

Hey everyone

I am not superstitious but i know a relavent one to Dreaming, “Fridays dreams should never be told, on saturday however old”

Alex

Really? Well, i don’t believe in chan letters. I once got one saying i would be murdered if i didn’t resend it within 24 hours… Am i dead? Theres your answer.

ahh superstitions. i only have one.

this came from back in my graffiti days. it is my mates superstition but you HAD to go with it if you were out with him. he would go nuts and stop the “mission” right there if you messed around with this superstition.

any street signs that are above a side walk with 2 poles on either side of the side walk. he believed walking underneath this was bad luck, sort oflike walking under a ladder. he said everytime someone has walked under one of these when headin to a spot, the night has ended in a run from the cops or some kind of trouble. of course this sometimes happened regardless of abiding by his silly superstition.

needless to say i have spent the rest of my life walking on the outside of these types of signs. people look at me wierd when i do it. i do not know if it brings me good luck, or bad luck to walk straight through, but it is a habbit and i do not think i will stop.

i personally believe crazy superstitions could be considered a form of obsessive compulsive disorder.

I hear LGC. and i just noticed something with your name… LGC right? LoGiC… LOGIC! basically, your logic is pretty good, and your name can be abbreviated then tweaked to say what your good at! amazing…

Superstition struck today.

“Never put your left shoe on first”

I did today and thought “uhoh that’s bad luck” as a joke, susperstition is nothing to me. As I left the house I had a bad feelings.

5minutes later I slipped on ice, tore the right knee on my jeans to shreads (and my knee for that matter).

Lesson learned: Listen to my instincts more often. They’re never wrong. :tongue:

I’ve never heard of that one before :eek:
I hope you didn’t end up too badly injured when you :thud: