Development of Beliefs About Controllability of Dreams

I didn’t really get it, seriously :eh:

It’s a study conducted by people who think lucid dreaming can only be a “belief” (something like believing in Santa Claus).

We know better :content: .

I always say never mind the sceptics. They dont know what their missing. Still, I’ve always found it dumb that people continue to deny it even though there is solid proof. Its like they dont wanna know. All well.

Heheh. But still fun to read. :grin:

Even my daughter (5 years) does not believe in Santa Claus. And she can LD :smile:

Well, this has not much to do with sceptism. It’s just a wrong hypothesis. Too many wrong preconditions. Not all science is real science. :wink:

Yeah, thats true. I’m sure if they went about answering the hypothesis a different way they would have a very different result. I mean, asking different age groups about how controllable they beleive dreams are and producing an actual LD are two different things. Have they even heard about what Laberge did?

Hmm, I wonder why so few scientists know about Laberge’s findings. You could blame those scientists for ignorance but you could also say LaBerge should have done more to spread the news, by writing more books and articles, giving more lectures around the world, doing a better marketing job. I have always thought LaBerge is getting rich with Lucidity Institute and their expensive tools but yesterday I read a story on a mailinglist about someone who had troubles with getting his stuff from LI and find out from a guy working there that they face a serious financial crisis! So their marketing is not a big success. Their research is excellent and noone can write LD-books like LaBerge but I’m getting more and more convinced LD4all is taking the lead in making LDing more popular :content: . This forum has already 800 members, only 6 billion people to go and we rule the world… :wink:

When you think about it, LDing has been under scientific examination for quite some time, and most of the reason a lot of scientists didn’t accept it was that it seemed like a contradiction. Concious while unconconcious, it seems a bit funny. It just needs a bit more time to be understood by the scientific community.
As Laberge himself pointed out, Darwin’s theories of evolution still cause turbulence in todays scientific world, over 100 years later. I think something as interesting as Lucid Dreamin (litterally a different state of conciousness) is bound to take time to be accepted in the scientific community.

Maybe…just maybe…certain people and/or groups of people know the power that lies in lucid dreaming, and the effects that LD could have on society. Maybe these people and/or groups of people are purposely creating mental blocks so the majority of people never even get a chance to see their full potential. Just think about it…everyone LD’ing…expanding their minds. I could ramble on about this, but I won’t right now.

Its hard to see how someone could be afraid of growing as a person through lucid dreaming, if thats what your saying.

I don’t mean that it’s necessarily the individuals who are scared. It is the “powers that be” (who/whatever those powers may be) that are scared. How many people actually know anything about lucid dreaming? My guess is that overall there aren’t that many (im most parts of the world anyway). I am just wondering why that is, that’s all. There is so much potential in lucid dreaming it’s strange that it’s not common knowledge.

Anyway, it was just a thought. I don’t necessarily believe what I said. Just makes me wonder…

I dont think its “The Powers That Be”, its more of the fact that scientists thought the prospect of consiousness during unconsiousness was a paradox, and impossible. It never got scientific attention untill the 1980’s, and therefore wasn’t very accessable to the public. I beleive its popularity is growing due to both its scientific merit and the internet.

i wish we dint have so many close-minded people in our world. In this area theres the type of people who get fixated on a belief and they will never change i because they dont understand anthing else or they cant admit they devoted an area of their life to something that was wrong. Open-minded people lik me are willing to accept all possibilites and although they may particularly favor one idea or belief over another they still respect and stay open to others. Those types of people i think are wut are society needs more of. We still need the close minded people too, because in some cases it was a close minded person fixed on one idea an believed it so much that they were able to stick wit it to such an extent they were able to prove it and reshape science for the better. So when u think about it both types of people best lie in balance with one another. Close minded people can both push science forward or hold it back. And Open minded people review all science and theories but their affect in the science community usuallly keeps it the same or slowly advances it.

Hi,
I may be missing something, but I took the article to mean that soon after early childhood our conditioning causes us to begin to disbelieve in the power of dream control.
I think this would explain why so many people are able to LD at age five (myself included) and then within a couple of years quickly lose the ability.
Thankfully it can be relearned.
Given that, I do not think the article was refuting the ability itself.

Happy Dreams.

I took the article the same way that you did FireHorse - that at a tender young age controlling dreams seems completely normal, but as we get older we lose this belief, presumably because of the effect of the rest of society. I’m at a loss to explain why dreaming has fallen out of favour with so many current societies. Hopefully, though, with lucid dreaming cropping up more often in mass media and therefore being validated in the general public’s collective conciouness, more people will ‘wake up’ to the amazing experiences they are missing out on.

Just a thought - most people are more willing to take drugs or alcahol to change their perspectives on reality. I think LDing is far more rewarding but does, of course, require work and patience, and we’re a society of instant gratifiaction, not patient development.

smilesOpeNMeyeNd,I have the strangest urge to look at you and say,“ok,Dale,ok…”,lol(joke)

roger