Dream Inducing Herbs

hey everyone…jus got into LD pretty recently, and i was wondering if anyone had tried any of these dream inducing herbs ive heard about…i tried searching the forums here about them…but could not come up with how to search. There is a couple of em, and they say that shamans and indians and bla bla have used these herbs to have lucid dreams for thousands of years, african dream root working better than the rest apparently. Any feedback would be great! Thx.
EDIT: lol, sorry, jus found the search button…dont know why i did not see that before.

I’ve been taking Valerian Root for about the past month and it has not helped me with my dream recall at all. If anything I had better recall before I started taking Valerian. I’m going to stop taking it and see if my dream recall improves to see if it is actually the Valerian that is affecting my recall.

Ci Shi, Magnetitum mineral - is a possibility
direct link removed, please don’t link to product vendors. its supposed to ballance out your yin/yang and relax your mind. Not expensive either.

Yeah, I month ago I started to drink valerian tea before bed, and I found that I did not remember any of my dreams once I started to take it. Apparantly it’s supposed to enhance sleep, not dreams.

isn’t a sulfite something with sulfur in it and isn’t sulfur poisonous?

and chlorine’s poisonous too so aluminum chlorine should be too

i wouldn’t try it if i were you,

Patchouli on a piece of cloth nearby or rubbed on skin (in an oil) seems to help with dream recall/LDing…or maybe it’s just me.

Uhh, Im assuming your talking to me. On a second look you should realize that it says sulfite free :tongue: and I didn’t notice any thing about chlorine. Anyways, even if I missed something, first off people who have a low tolerance to sodium enjoy something called potassium chloride all the time with no ill effects. Chlorine alone and in its gasious form is poisonous, but, depending on the element its mixed with, can be harmless.

ehh okay, i edmit, i must apologise now:P

Well, no worries dude, you were just trying to be safe about the whole issue. I actually thank you for makin me take another look at it.

On the topic, I have been using this herb(in a different form) for about a month now and I can say that it does help out with dreams. It isn’t a miricle dream inducing herb, I dont think there is such a thing, but it does help keep you in a clear state of mind, which is perfect for those difficult WILD techniques. If anything, Ive had perfect control over my ability to AP lately so it might just be some kind of a miricle herb for those purposes.

Sulfur isn’t poison! Go back to biology class. :smile:

And I would be careful with herbs, as always. Herbs are medicine. Being natural doesn’t assure complete safety. When I try something new, I always take a low dose first to see how it will affect me. If you’re unknowingly allergic to something, and you take a high dose, you’re screwed.

In addition to all of the notes below (and a lot more can be found about the risks of sulfur to health simply by googling it, Sulfides, used frequently in the preservation of fruit, especially from outside the US can cause allergic reactions in a large number of people. I’m one of them. All I need to do is eat one Sufide preserved orange and I will lose my voice for at least an hour. I didn’t have a clue what was causing it and i asked my gp. He asked right away if I’d eaten anything either outside my usual diet or from a source that was new for me. Since I had not been buying fruit from street stalls before and I’d recently begun to buy fruit salads from a vendor on campus, we were able to put 2 and 2 together. When I stopped buying from them, I had no repetition of the problem.

Extracts:

The European Union prescribes a maximum of no more than 20 ppm of sulfur for white sugar. And truly speaking, this cannot be achieved with conventional sulphitation processes of making sugar.

WHAT DOES SULPHUR DO?
• Sulfur in foodstuffs has been shown to be linked to colon rectal cancer.
• Sulfur is believed to destroy Vitamin A, as it promotes the oxidation of the conjugated double bonds, and is also known to destroy Vitamin B1…
• Sulfur and sulfur dioxide are also known to promote allergies and accelerate the onset of allergy attacks.
• Meta bisulfites are often used as food preservatives, but there are upper limits imposed on their concentration.

Sci Total Environ. 1991 Jan 15;101(3):281-90. Related Articles, Links

Toxicity to beef cattle of sulfur in saline well water: a case study.

Beke GJ, Hironaka R.

Agriculture Canada Research Station, Lethbridge, Alta.

A disorder diagnosed as polioencephalomalacia occurred in yearling Hereford heifers, but not in mature cows, within 2 months of exposure to saline well water. The physiological effects of the disorder matched most of the symptoms for bovine polioencephalomalacia. The water contained 3875 mg l-1 total dissolved salts, sulfate and sodium being the dominant ions. Calculated daily sulfur and sodium intakes were near the upper limit of their range for recommended maximum tolerance level. Sulfur toxicity was implicated as the causative agent for the disorder. Differences in effect of waters with similar sulfur contents were attributed to the total dietary sulfur intake by the cattle rather than to the saline water alone. Established guidelines for saline drinking water were deemed not applicable when fodder from saline land is supplied to or grazed by cattle.

PMID: 2038662 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

If patchouli oil works will burning incense before going to sleep help DR or LDing? Also were can these roots be found? Do i have to go to a specialty shop or can I simply find them in my grocery store?

Calea zacatechichi

Hi unseen, calea z. was quite a popular LD inducing herb as Buddax said. You can’t get it in health shops, but maybe in “head shops” or online. it has a bitter taste :panic: and looks like a big bag of weed, lol.

Never tried it personally, but some people have said that ginseng helps.

Yeah I took valerian for a while and it made me have very bad recall. I stopped taking it and my recall is back to normal. Valerian root is a very bad idea to help with lucid dreaming as far as my experience goes.

I feel compeled to point out that salt, the stuff you put on your dinner each night, is sodium chloride. Chlorine is so poisonous because it is higly reactive (the second most reactive of the halogens, about 3rd most over all) but when chlorine has reacted with other stuff it has filled up its outer shell and is “happy” and should leave other stuff alone.

I stopped taking Valerian Root as well. It seems to put you into a deeper sleep, which may make it harder for your consious mind meet your unconscious mind.

Brief background on my lucid dreaming ability:
I first started having LDs in 1999. Since then until 2006 I had between 2 and 3 good LDs per year. So that puts me at roughly a dozen total up until this year.

Then I really started commiting myself by scheduling naps, researching stratagies, reading books on Ludicidy, and trying herbal supliments. Since the beginning of this year, I have already had 6 Lucid Dreams (half of my lifetime total!).

I recently started taking Damiana capsules I picked up from Wild Oats healthfood store and I am IMPRESSED!

The first night I took one capsule (367mg) and just had normal dreams and normal recall. The second night I took two capules and had my first lucid dream since February. It took two again last night and had another lucid dream! Using the spinning technique I was able to stay in them for a good while longer than normal.

It is possible that the Damiana is acting as a placebo, but I won’t know for sure until I have taken it for a longer period.

I’ll update this thread as my research into Damiana progresses, but I am excited to fall asleep each night with my recent success.

Here’s an update on my Damiana experiment:

Two nights have passed since my last post. I am please to report that one night I had a LD, and the other I did not. That brings the current total to 3 Lucid Dreams in 4 nights of taking 2 capsules (roughly 725mg) of Damiana.

I chose to fly in last night’s lucid dream. I have had problems getting much height and speed when trying to fly in past LDs, so a few months ago I decided to “implant” the idea of my having rockets on my shoes and a hand-held thruster to control the boost. Once lucid and struggling to fly, I remembered this incubated idea and was able to soar above the highest tree.

I also think that my active participation i these forums as aided in my conscious effor to become lucid in my dreams.