Rainbow Connection

Blind Dreams

Author  Message 
MontyPython
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Blind Dreams
PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2003  Reply with quote

i want to know this. how do people who are blind dream? and i mean both blind since birth and someone wha has grown blind. i recently went to this place called lighthouse for the blind, it is a place where thet employ blind people for mechanical manual labor. pretty depressing. also i have been reading the Dune series (those who have read it will know what that has to do with the blind). i have been thinking more about this subject so if anyone has any info about blind dreams, please post.

dreamwalker
Ne Plus Ultra
Dream Deity

I'v heard of people hearing in dreams when they have never heard before in there life. I believe that it is possible. Our minds have so much that we don't even know about.In my dreams I've done things I've never done in life before and I knew and felt what it was like in my dreams. It's weird when you eat something in your dream you've never eaten before,then eat it in real life and it tastes the same as in your dream. So This saying says it best when talking about our brain,"We've only scratched the surface"

mattmsty
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Coincidently, I was thinking about posting your exact question.

For your question... I don't have a scientifically proven answer, but I think people who were born blind have dreams that are very similar to people with normal vision. For one, I assume blind people have a supurb spatial sense. I'm sure they can picture objects quite well in their head by feeling them. Also, I'm thinking evolution (if you believe in it that is) might pass down some sorts of instincts or something that might give blind people a concept of what stuff looks like. Well, besides man-made stuff I'm guessing.

For people who became blind part-way in their life, I'm quite positive they have dreams almost exactly like people with normal vision. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Being blind must really suck, but I'm thinking it could give you an edge to LDing; you can use it as a great RC. "I can see therfore I MUST be dreaming!" Of course I'd rather keep my sight if I had the choice.

Matt

ulrik_tr
Somniologist
Somniologist

Hmm, i've seen this discussed on alt.dreams.lucid a long time ago i think.
Someone said that blind people that was blind from birth or from a specific age (can't remember), only had dreams with strong tactile sensations and a lot of sound.

ceavou
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 26 May, 2003  Reply with quote

Some starting info taken from here:

http://www.goscience.com.au/content.asp?id=924

Quote:

Do blind people see in dreams?

People who become blind after the age of 6 can see in their dreams, whereas people who are born blind cannot.

Although, people who lose their sight at 7+ have very vivid visual imagery in their dreams 20 or 30 years down the track. The content of their dreams is more often about familiar situations, rather than new ones.

Dreaming in sound?

People who are born blind however, still dream. Their dreams, containing as much content as sighted people, are experienced by auditory imagery.

This is due to their lack of Rapid Eye Movement (or REM), which occurs in sighted dreamers, as if they are watching something in their dream. People who become blind, however have REMs of the same intensity as of sighted people.

-ceavou-
[/quote]

charlotte
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2003  Reply with quote

thanks! I have always wondered that! At least if you're blind (from 7+) you can see in your dream, that's a plus.
I wonder if it would be possable for a non-blind person and a blind person to have a shared dream so that the blind person could see the non-blind one. I know, a bit far fetched, but it could be possable

MontyPython
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

thanks

thanks y'all. well that answers my question. :D well if i ever go blind i now know i at least will still be able to see in my dreams. so... alright thanks.

SeanIRL
Somniologist
Somniologist

Quote:
i have been reading the Dune series (those who have read it will know what that has to do with the blind).

eh? neutral

I've only read Dune and half of Dune Messiah but what has it to do with the blind?

whatsthat

the only thing I can think of is the blind guy who lost his eyes in a war and didn't want to get Tlielaxu eyes.

Or does it come later?

MontyPython
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2003  Reply with quote

yeah well that guy who lost his eyes is the most important character in the first two books. what i meant by bringin him up is that when he goes blind from the stone burner he uses his prescient visions and dreams to see. i don't know... maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with blind dreams but what the hell. grin2

Hivemind
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sat 31 May, 2003  Reply with quote

[quote="mattmsty"]

For people who became blind part-way in their life, I'm quite positive they have dreams almost exactly like people with normal vision. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Being blind must really suck, but I'm thinking it could give you an edge to LDing; you can use it as a great RC

Matt[/quote]

People who are blind from birth will probably make the best of what they have.In fact I heard that if the suddenly had the ability to see it would probably be chaos for them.Their brain couldn't make sense of what they were seeing.I watched this one show where I heard a blind man say(This is pretty close to what he said,I think),"I couldn't imagine the world any other way"

chosenone-
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jun, 2003  Reply with quote

There's a movie with Val Kilmer that's based on a true story where a man loses his sight and regains it for a short period of time, I suggest watching it if interested in blindness.

WaNnAbE
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun, 2003  Reply with quote

Hivemind wrote:
People who are blind from birth will probably make the best of what they have.In fact I heard that if the suddenly had the ability to see it would probably be chaos for them.Their brain couldn't make sense of what they were seeing.I watched this one show where I heard a blind man say(This is pretty close to what he said,I think),"I couldn't imagine the world any other way"

Yeah, people who've been blind from birth and regain their sight usually go into a shock-like state for a few days (or maybe longer). After all, wouldn't you?

Dreamfortehwinz
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct, 2003  Reply with quote

According to my way too expensive psychology book, people that lose their vision even later in life slowly stop dreaming with vision. Their dreams become fully auditory.

Lebowsk1
cookie lover
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2003  Reply with quote

I read somewhere about a blind lucid dream. Apparently the guy could 'see' to a long distance by a kind of three dimensional tactile sensation... not the kind of thing we sighted folk can imagine easily, but could be an interesting ld experiment...

QR10S17Y
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Fri 07 Nov, 2003  Reply with quote

If you can for a minute, think about a time when someone described something to you, that you had never seen.

It's a little different becausewe use descriptive words that we already can visualize, red, furry, bright, and so on...

but we make up our own version of what we think that person is trying to describe. Which in reality may look nothing like the thing... but we can still imagine it.

now... if you took a blind person to a tree, and made him feel it, and hug it (for it's shape), and smell it. then gave him a twig, and told him to feel it, then gave him a leaf, and told him to trace around it with his fingers until he got to know it...

then, told him that the tree, extends up to the sky, and at the top, poking out of the tube shapped structure that he just hugged, were branches just like the twig he was holding, and from those branches were thousands of leaves, just like the one he just traced with his hand...

It may not look exactly like what we see, but wouldn't he make up his own version of a tree, and be able to see that in his dream?

hmm... maybe? maybe not? Just a thought!

~qriosity~

print