Could I meet a deceased member in LD?

Splitted from the LD FAQ: it’s not a very frequent asked question :wink:

umm i have a question,
In a lucid dream could i meet deceased member, cause my great grandmother died 3/4 years ago and i would of liked to say goodbye to her, but couldn’t ;-; and could i even relive dreams that i had in the past? …sorry if this has been asked before.

star

Yes you could :smile:
Whether you’re really talking to your grandmother, or just dream version of her, is another question, nevertheless such experiences are very helpful in the healing process :yes:
…as for dreams you’e had in the past, sometimes I re-dream normal dreams more than once. Sometimes I will even remember the prevous dream in another dream, as if it had really happend…Déjà rêvé you might call it.

I’ve met my deceased grand mother in LD’s. But I agree with Josh Redstone, I’m not sure it’s very helpful in the healing process.

I think it’s possible to relive dreams you had in the past, but I never tried.

I splitted your questions from the LD FAQ due to the reasons that are explained above. :smile:

In a lucid dream in which you have control, you should be able to make anyone appear to you. However, also keep in mind that there’s no evidence to suggest that the deceased person in the dream is anything but a collection of memories being reassembled by your brain into an entirely different context. In other words, there’s no evidence to suggest that you’re actually speaking to the person…as far as we know, it’s just a concoction of your imagination. Some will disagree.

Sorry about your grandmother. It’s not easy to lose a family member. Lots of hugs! :sad:

Of course your entirely write Datameister, but can we say any more of waking life? Lol :wink:

I dream about my recently deceased cat (about five months past) at least every week, and have found this incredibly beneficial in the healing process. I still miss him, but I know that if I want to see him again, all I need to do is sleep (he was 19yrs old, so yeah - I’m still fairly attached :tongue: ). It sounds funny, but not to fellow dreamers who understand how realistic and emotional these dreams can be.
Dreams of this nature can be incredibly healing, you just need to find the dream incubation process that works for you.

Ditto with my dog, who died about the same time as your cat. It’s pretty amazing to have a lucid dream including a “family member” that you’ll never get to see again IRL. Good way to become lucid, too.

I know you were half-joking (maybe 1/3 joking?) about your comment about waking life. But we know that something truly exists, and according to our own experiences, that which truly exists is this concept we call “real life.” Yes, it’s true that our experience of real life is almost exactly identical to our experience of dreams. But the difference is in the stimuli–the former seems to be caused by actual external events, whereas the latter seems to be caused by internal imagined events.

I know there are plenty on this forum who disagree with me here.

Yeah, it just really depends on your philosophy of life and what you choose to believe. Can’t argue with that :content:

It truly is amazing whenever I dream about my cat, it seems sooo real - I can actually feel his fur when I pick him up, and he salivates all over my hand as he nuzzles my fingers :tongue:
I come very close to lucidity whenever I see him, as my dream self is quite aware that he’s actually dead and that I’m seeing him when I’m not supposed, so I usually tell him how much I miss him etc.

Whoops, I’m getting all soppy :cry:

To sum it up, dreams are great for meeting with your deceased family/friends and saying goodbye.

+1, I think if you are having a hard time letting someone/something go re-experiencing it in your dreams may give you some kind of closure. also I agree with datameister in regards to becoming lucid from the exposure. The first LD I’ve ever had [probably sometime around 1997-98] was caused by seeing my great grandma in a dream. I got so scared by something that she did that I felt my eyes clenching very tightly and I forced myself to open them. Yeesh, just thinking about that dream gives me the chills… :scared:

I’ve had a special experience lately concering this topic.

A good friend of me killed himself. I was very chocked when I heard it and very confused. My mind couldn’t find rest anymore. Ocasionaly I was talking to him, telling I was not angry at him, that I try to understand, and that I sincerily hoped he could find rest now. But I did this automaticaly, I’m not a person doing things like that, but I couldn’t help. But there is no real communication, so it didn’t help me to calm my mind.

Then one morning, the day of his funeral, I had the following dream:

I’m in a room. There are like 5 or six people and they are talking to eachother. Tim is also there. I’m very suprised, because he should be death. I imediately realise that it must be a dream and say to myself: “Stay Calm, very calm, don’t wake up now, this is a very good oportunity to talk to him”. I walk towards him and start to hug him.

“I’m so hapy that you are here. I’m not angy, I hope you find peace now”, and ask him why he did it. He say’s it was to hard, his strugle with life and that I didn’t have to worry that everything was fine now.

We hug again. And start to talk about the good old days. And laugh a lot while we hold eachothers shoulder by our hands. It feels so good to talk to him in this way.

Than I get very curious, I want to know how it is to be dead and especialy to die afther a suicide. So I ask him about this. When he tries to answer me, his image is fading away. I’m very sad and try to hold on to him, but he’s gone now. Then my morher aproaches me and she says she still has contact with him. I beg her to ask him how it is to be dead. Then, like if she is in a trance begins to tell a story:

"Once upon a time there was a young man who lived in a little vilage in India. He lived in a spiritual community under the guidance of a brahmin. One day he tried a special dangerous technique. Lying down he covered his mouth with a towel. Then suddenly his body shifted from te laying down posture in the standing posture. He walked out his room and went to the brahmin, to ask what has happened. The brahmin said: “what are you doing here, you don’t belong here, go away” and he chased him away. The man was crying and didn’t understand. Why would his master chase him away. He became part of his family, what happened that he chased him away now? He ran outside crying. He ran and ran, until he reached the house of another spiritual master. He knocked the door and before he could ask to become his disciple, the master chased him away: “go away, you don’t belong here!”

The young man didn’t understand. He seemed not to belong here anymore. Then he came to the conclusion that someting must have changed. He finaly realised that he should have died and that indeed he didn’t belong here anymore.

I began to think very hard on this mater, and this woke me up.

I woke up with a very good feeling, the feeling that I had actualy been talking to Tim, that I’ve had the chance to talk to him, say what I still had to say, and say gooobye.

I went to the funeral, but actualy didn’t need it anymore. I already said goodbye to him on a much more intense level. And even though I will never now it was realy Tim, or just an image of him I created in my dream, the effect for me was that I could and should let him go now. It felt like a deep exepiernce and this gave me peace of mind again.

This mainly goes to whether or not you are talking about meeting the actual spirit of your deceased grandmother. You should be able to meet a dream entity your grandma, which is just a creation of your memories, although they will seem real and you might feel better. On the other hand, actually meeting the descased is more of psi phenomina, or scientificly unexplainable odd events, like ESP and mediums. This may or may not be possible, and depends on your religious and scientific beliefs. In this case, meeting your actual grandmother may be possible, but there is debate over this issue.

Basicly, creating a dream grandma: possible, actually meeting them: do you believe that the living can contact the dead (or vice versa)?

Well, my dead grandmother is now my SG and seeing her often triggers LDs, so not only can you meet her in LD, you can meet her, then LD, then maybe resolve some things.

you may also like to read
(click to read)
on the visitation from a deceased friend
and
Meeting the DEAD in your dream

Hi and welcome Dreamystivi :wave:
Intense dream - good that you were given the opportunity to be emotionally healed in this way.

This look like a very deep dream.

Im sure it help a lot to heal your pain , more then every technique on earth. When you talk for the last time in your dream at your deceased person , its sure heal a lot more because you know he is still around and that he happy.