Stopping Time

I had no idea where to put this! :cry: It’s not relevant to Lucid Dreaming…But have you ever looked at your watch, and then looked at it like 2 seconds later and it’s the same time? :confused: It might not sound amazing but it always freaks me out. Plus everytime I look at a wath it’s always 9:11!!! (Exageration but it happens way to much.) :bored:

Stopping time has been a fantasy of mine for a long time. Really just because I’d have more time to sleep in the morning.

mine too really, bullet time!!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Aww, I wish I could stop time… :neutral:

The instant I saw the thread title, I was expecting a discussion on this.

[color=indigo]That can’t possibly be any kind of genuine time-stopping phenonmenon. Yeah, the clock does seem to stop, but a friend of mine is going through cut scenes of a video game in the room right now, and I can hear it going at normal speed.

Must just be an illusion, or just your own mind being decieved by some wierd effect.[/color]

https://www.grasshopper.com/

This covers it well…Also has an article on LDing among other things. :wink:

I’d be more inclined to believe it if it wasn’t a black second-hand with black markers on a white background.

But if the second-hand were neon-green, and the effect were still there, then it would lend a lot more credibility that this is, indeed, not simply an illusion.

lol thats cools :razz: idont know how it works but its cool. but a clock psh, thats just a way for us to measure somthing that we have created. we have created the idea of time. its something that we couldnt understand so we put a name to it and laws to it so it would fit in our minds. its these laws that we hold ourself down to whats to say that they even exist, bar only in our mind. once we realise they dont maybe we can stop it :wink:

[color=indigo]Nearly all animals have no concept of time or the future, but we have yet to discover the elusive clock-stopping shark or whatever. It’s true that clocks are a human invention made only to sychronize with the passage of time, but it was time that made the clocks, not the other way around. I’m reminded of that old Calvin and Hobbes strip; just because your watch stops doesn’t mean time does, too.

I read the “Why did time stop?” article coupled with that other one, and it looks like my second guess was most accurate: it’s all in your head.[/color]

how does that even make sense

I would dispute that, actually. How do we know that clocks measure the passage of time, and not our perception of the passage of time?

My friend and I were talking for about an hour yesterday about unusual events involving time. In particular, one time he completely lost concept of time while taking a test. He completed about 100 questions in five minutes.

This is, obviously, much faster than his normal test-taking pace. And it is quite an amazing speed, assuming you are actually reading the questions, and not randomly bubbling in answers.

In conclusion, I would propose that clocks aren’t synchronized with some universal property called time. Clocks are merely synchronized with what we perceive time to be. But if we concentrate so hard on something that we lose track of time, we can seemingly do things which we, literally, shouldn’t have time for.

totaly agree with that.

time measeurement is man made. a clock is a mesaurement of time that we preseave it, who decided the make a second a second long… the sun? good lot that did, what happens if there is no sun no sun dail? well tehn is there no time? no time didnt make clocks humans made clocks to try and measure something that we dont understand and put laws on it so we can use it… instead of actually understand it. Now we have to devle through laws and numbers and break through a wallbefore we can understand and truly learn how to use it. stupid time

Also look at Einstein he said that the universe is unstable. That everything can be nothing, and nothing can be everything. In short, he was saying what you think to be logical could be simply the mind’s way of thinking.

I’ve been in slow motion many times, even so bad minutes felt like hours. Once me and my friends were swimming for what it seemed like hours and we got bored, come to find out we were swimming for a mere 30 minutes, usually we swim for hours. Anyways.

If that’s ever happened to me, I didn’t notice. Weird things never happen to me. Mind you, I’ve been known to freak out several times in the morning when I look at my watch. I can’t think straight when I wake up at all (brain’s still in dreamland), and when I see my watch reading 9 o’clock my brain interprets it as 3 o’clock instead, back to front (it’s an analog display).

Needless to say, I get really worried, thinking it’s three and I’ve slept in all day missing my uni lectures. It doesn’t matter how much I stare at the watch - my brain goes right on interpreting it backwards as 3 o’clock. Only when I start wondering how I could have slept in THAT much does it click that I’m reading the time wrong. And this keeps happening - I can’t seem to learn! (grrr)

[color=indigo]Contrariwise; clocks measure the true passage of time because our preception is unrealiable. Yeah, we base the passage of time off the sun and other natural processes, but that’s why time is the same for everyone, why it’s a universal invarient. It’s not just something we made up to calm the chaos of the human mind.

All the examples everyone is presenting involve them thinking they were doing something for a long time when the clock told them it wasn’t long at all. Everyone is familiar with the concept of time flying when you’re having fun, or having a dream that seemed a week long even though it was only one night. I’m definately not denying that, in some strange way, we can draw out the minutes or make hours blink by… the “time-stopping clock” proves that much. No matter how fast or slow you think time’s going, however, there are still natural laws of time that stay the same speed, like how fast a ball will drop or how fast heavenly bodies move. That’s what our clocks are based off of, because we just have to have some way of keeping track of how much time really went by while we were stuck in that boring, seemingly endless school lecture.

If you are so in control of your perception that you can slow down or speed up how fast time seems to you in such a way that works to your advantage, more power to you, but you’re still only affecting your preception. Time remains concrete; no matter how long that half-hour seemed, everything else in the universe still functioned at the same speed.[/color]

Try this one,

Fill a can with water, then boil it.

Keep watching all the time until the water is boiling…

(That will seem like hours, you probably won’t last watching it… :razz:)

I experience myself, when I am meditating and I think to have meditated for about 60~90 minutes, only 15~20 minutes have passed.

lol weird I was able to stop the second hand in the page mentioned above. What does this tell? It’s fascinating imo

mate time is anything bar a law and constant. If we are basing it off the sun and the movement of planests and stuff that still doesnt make it concreate. Whats to say one day the sun changes its gravity pull and the plannets move a little closer to the sun and speed up their orbit. suddenly one of the laws have changed and our time is off. thats a weak example but you get the idea.

Time and its laws was created by people to make sense of something that they could not understand. there is nothing more concreate about it then us saying that up is up and down is down. Preception

[color=indigo]Do not misunderstand… I do not mean to say we use time just because the planets move around, nor that the sole thing defining time is stellar motion. We only use the solar system to measure time because the laws that dictate the motion of the planets, though we sometimes struggle to define them, do not change, which is exactly what makes time concrete.

We can base time off of orbit just because it serves perfectly as a great, big clock: a rotating model that’s been turning at the same speed for billions and billions of years. Like a clock, it is time that dictates its mechanics, not the clock that dictates the mechanics of time. Even if some corruption changed the consistancy of the solar system’s orbit, that doesn’t change how fast time goes. Time will still pass at the same rate even if our galactic clock is ruined; like in the Calvin and Hobbes strip, time does not stop because your watch broke. Balls would still fall at the same speed here on earth even if we were to go around the sun faster. Time still marches on at the same rate.[/color]