Practicing RL stuff in LDs.

I’ve read from the LD experts like Stephen LaBerge that people who LD can practice RL tasks in their LDs and it helps them become better at the task IRL. For example, if you play guitar and are having trouble playing a certain song, if you practice that song in your LD, it will help you to play it better IRL. Does anyone use this method of practicing RL tasks in LDs? Does it work?

I’m wondering if I could use this dream practice to help me to quit smoking cigarettes…if I ever get fully lucid, that is. :wallhit:

I dont know, I would disagree.

Maybe it would help you practice/prepare for social situations. You dont have the guts to ask a girl out, so you try askin the one you got a crush on in a dream. Might be of some help.

It could help with ciggarettes, alledgedly hypnosis can cure a ciggarette addiction straight up, and while dreaming your mind is highly suggestive like a hypnotic state is. I know lots of people IRL that just quit never had another ciggarette in their life. Its all about your willpower to quit.

I think what Stephen LaBerge said was that it was comproved that if you do a physical thing in a LD, then your muscles may be stimulated, so they can get better or something…
But I think playing the guitar may work too…

PS: I didn’t know how to explain some things in English

This is correct. The reason this works is because the motor system in your mind works the same way for real life actions and dream actions. The only difference is that in a dream, our muscles don’t really move.
I don’t think it would work for something like quitting smoking, because that’s an addiction, rather than a simple muscle movement.
However, there’s a interesting dream that a colleague of Stephen LaBerge had, where he was visiting his doctor. He dreamed of seeing an X-ray of his blackened, cancerous lungs. The dream doctor informed him he only had months to live. Upon awakening, he realized it was only a dream, but the shock of being told he had only months to live, and the thought of never living to see his children grow up had made a deep impression on him. He has since quit smoking, and has been smoke free for over 25 years :smile:

I have somethin to add about the guitar that I just thought about…

Your dream mind works differently than in waking life. So perhaps your creativity may be affected in positive ways? If you play guitar IRL and make your own songs, maybe tryin to make a song in a LD would come up with something really innovative and creative.

I dont think it would make you BETTER at playing than in real life, but maybe you could come up with a song that is a lot different to what you normally play.

About your first question, there was a thread in the Fruits of Lucidity forum:
Learning anything in LD’s
But apart from great LD’ers like Paul Tholey, I don’t remember having seen somebody practising RL skills in LD’s.

About stopping smoking cigarettes, I don’t have any idea. I looks like the opposite of practising a skill. :wink: Perhaps you should ask a DC how to do? :smile: