Trying to quit smoking

Hope all goes well DayLight, remember you didn’t start your first attempt, you just quit for good no doubt about it. Don’t leave room like that so your brain can make excuses and say you’ll just have a second attempt etc.

I’m pretty much the same, though I have bought my own cigarette pack before. In fact I still have half a pack in my bag, been there for a few months now. I can’t see how people get hooked on them :eh: Psychologically I find it incredibly hard to be addicted to anything, I generally make a point of never using substances as a crutch for any issues. Instead its best to work it through and become mentally stronger rather then mentally dependant.

Oh man, my best friend is trying to quit to. Well, at least that’s what she says. I read somewhere that when you’re trying to break a habit, that almost everyone has to try a few times. So don’t dis yourself if you have another cigarette cause all that will do is make you feel bad about yourself. Iknow for some ppl it works best to go cold turkey, but for others is works best to take it gradual. So you should figure out which catagory you fit into and that might make it easier.
Maybe find another vice to takes it’s place, like sugar. I know that’s my drug of choice.
Self-hypnosis?
Anyway, good luck. You’ll stop eventually.

Its so wierd that i saw this topic after I ALSO DECIDED TO QUIT!!!

It must be quitting day today. I hope i can fully kick the habit. The main reason i wake up in the morning is for a cig. Im gonna have to beat myself with a hot toaster everytime i try to smoke.

Yeah, for some reson a smoke is more pleasurable when you first wake up in the morining.
Anyway, I just got a 14mg nicotine patch. I am wearing it now, and I will probably wear it to bed, if I can sleep with it on. Has anyone used the patch, and if so, what is it’s effect on LD’ing? I have heard they make dreams way more vivid, but vividness does not nessacrily mean increased lucidity.

It’s shown that some people have more addictive personalities. I think I have an addictive personality, so I think I’ll never start.

Anyways, I’ve heard of this book, my brother was telling me about it. Anyways, at the start of the book, the guy encourages you to TAKE UP smoking, and apparently, by the end of the book, you’ll feel like you don’t need to smoke. This guy calls it a “de-brainwashing”

Encourages you to take up smoking? Wow, I wonder how well that works :tongue:
Well, I won’t be doing that, I’ve always thought the best thing to do when it comes to smoking is to avoid it completely. I have friends who’ve started smoking mostly for, in my humble opinion, completely stupid reasons. For example, I have a friend who started smoking at age 14 so that he could hang out with a girl he liked in the smoking section at high school who also smoked. Then, they started dating…then later, they broke up, but now he is stuck with a deadly addiction, all for the want of a girl he didn’t even get :no:
So congratulations to DayLight and everyone else who has quit smoking. I don’t know what it’s like so I can’t relate, but I imagine it must be difficult. Best of luck to you :smile:

Yeah, it’s hard to explain why I smoke to non-smokers. I first started smoking because people told me it would prolong a cannabis high, which ended up being untrue. i kept going because, even though it dosent give you a noticable high, it is very pleasureable, and I like the taste.

Nicotine patch update - For most of the day(my first whole one without a smoke) it was very hard. I was irritable to the point of almost being violent. About a half hour after putting on the patch, I became almost euhporic. A huge increase in energy too. Alot of it is probably placebo, but it is really helping.

Ok, another patch update. My physical cravings have gone down ALOT. I still have mental images of a burining cigarette, and I think about how nice it would be, but I’m doin’ ok. I slept with it on last night, and I had the most vivid dreams of my life. Exelent dream recall as well.

[color=indigo]I was waiting for my brother in the car right after school today, and some kid walks down to the sidewalk in front of it. He’s my age, if not younger, but he pulls out a pack of cigarettes in broad daylight, shakes it, and lights one up.

I really worry about people sometimes…[/color]

Ive got 2 friends that are smoking when they miht get a cigarette from older friends (yes Friends not “friends” :wink: )

or grab one from home.

I have taken a few tries and it made me even more against smoking.

They think it is “so cool”

I mean , if I were to do something other than my parents would want me to , just for the sake of it , I would rather take a jummy bottle of beer (yes i think it tastes good) or more :wink:

Heh, my parents are ok with me smoking or drinking as long as I’m honest with them. Do you think not being allowed makes people want to smoke?

I think im would encourage some and stop others , but the ones being stopped will most likely try soon or later.

A girl in my class hd a irthday party with drinking and her parents were in the neighboor house knowing it.

My parents aint that way , and I dont really like that.

But it is kinda “normal” too , that they aint like that.

And I feel that i have pretty much common sense in me , more than many in my grade (we were in denmark (easier to get beer and such) with the football team , i ahd 3 beers , a friend ended up at hospital :neutral: )

For some it is a point to do “not what youre mom tells u too !”

you could try wearing a rubber band around your wrist and snapping it really really hard every time you want a cigarette.

maybe not the best idea.

i smoked marijuana for about a year and had to quit because of what the smoke did to my lungs…

have you ever coughed up little solid blocks of mucus that are so thick that they get lodged in your throat… that you feel them slide all the way up when you hack on them?

My lungs must be full of them… it’s really nasty and terrible… maybe I just had bad luck because people seem like they can toke up their whole lives and not have too many health problems, but no not me.

Maybe it was because the weed was a really low quality too.

Unfortunately quitting weed is one thing, you just WANT it, but nicotine is more addictive than heroin. All I can tell you is if it doesn’t kill you of cancer, it will severely weaken your lungs… do you really want to have terrible lungs that make breathing and living a constant chore for something that doesn’t even SATISFY you?

It feels good because you are feeding withdrawals, it’s relaxing because your brain says I WANT NICOTINE … it’s supposed to be a stimulant! but people get so attached that it becomes relaxing instead… that’s messed up man.

Best of luck. Aside from high potency fresh hallucinagenic tobacco for spiritual purposes [like how Native Americans did it], there is no point in smoking. None. If you want to relax there are better ways. If you want stimulation there are better ways.

I sometimes wonder if the tobacco problems our nation has is a Native American curse for us ruining their lands… now smokers are ruining our air and far worse, their lungs… and the lungs of those immediately surrounding them.

Everytime I see someone smokig up I see a SMOKING PERSON… literally, a being that emits smoke… festering… smelly… decayed… smoking from pollution…

it’s a disturbing thing to watch. I wish all smokers well.

Best thing is to quit. Next best thing is harm reduction.

It’s hard to just fight off the desire to get stoned so … you have my sympathy.

[b]everytime you want to smoke because you feel bad, realize that the “high” of smoking is a TRADE OFF for the LOW of withdrawal… that this state of withdrawal is your base state each time you nurture the habit, that this is what you are doing to your mind…

if the withdrawal feels terrible, the smoke should be euphoric, absolutely blissful and transcendent… but it isn’t, is it?[/b]

you can fight through dude, you just have to win your mind. You have to have the atittude of success… that’s all.

Maybe, my parents never minded when I drank as long as they knew where I was and that I was safe, and of course now, I don’t even like drinking that much :content:

Depends, of course. My parents actually don’t mind if I smoke. They say I’ll puke and end up hating it anyway. I’m not going to do it, anyway. Kills my already asthmatic lungs and is bad for tennis. :razz:

Anyway, I’ve been following this story for a while and I never realized just how difficult it could be for some people to quit the addiction. Just don’t quit on yourself, there, DayLight! :smile:

In my personal experience, sports help. Working out, running, bicycling. It makes you feel good and healthy and psychologically it makes it easier to stay away from cigarettes because smoking and being sportive and fit are totally contradicting. Also things like running produce a “high”, and the endorphins that cause this high are a good substitute for smoking because nicotine also creates an elevation in endorphins.

:sadyes: That has got to be one of the most disgusting things ever. I smoke cannabis occasionally, and I think that happens with cannabis because it is an expectorant. I found it so gross, and it made such an impact on me, I actually drempt about it a few times.

I had a smoke last night, but I think I’m back on track…It’s getting hard… :bored:

I’ve been trying to get my mom to quit smoking like forever, but no luck. I wonder how much second-hand smoke I’ve inhaled over the years :bored:

Hang in there, Daylight! It might be tough, but don’t give up! :happy:

Good luck man.I’m smoking as well and i can tell you that it’s not that you want to smoke it’s cause (for me at least) you don’t have anything else to do,so if it comes to you again try to find something to do instead of smoking,and of course it’s because you’re used to it.
When i have nothing to do,i just take the pack of cigars and light one,then i think "why am i smoking??"and then i just think “I light it so i’ll do it!”
The other prob is that you don’t have a good DR.
F.e:It’s time i do a cigar before i go to sleep,i don’t remember not even one of my ND.When i don’t smoke ,i remember at least two of them.
So again good luck from me ,maybe some time i’ll try again to quit smoking :shy:

I’ve never had a poor dream recall problem with smoking, mabye it’s because you smoke more(you appear to be smoking cigars and I smoke cigarettes).