Trying to quit smoking

I think cigarettes are also more ‘processed’ than cigars; more chemicals added, etc. I also seem to remember hearing that good cigars are hand made, so they don’t have all those bi-products and chemicals in them…of course, that doesn’t make them a healthy alternative to cigarettes :tongue:

Somethign i have been wondering about.

Was the indians peace pipe dangerous ?

Is tobacco plant itself harmfull ?

moved to lounge from tools and merged into the quitting smoking topic

Hey all,

Recently i quit smoking. I have tried cold turkey many times in the past, all of which failed. So this time i thought ‘why not try the patches’.

So all patched up a cigarette free i quit. The second night i was on the patches i noticed a distinct improvment in the clarity of my dreams and my ability to recall them. Normally i only remember one dream a night.

On thinking further about why the sudden increase in my ability i theorised that maybe the patches had some influence. So i changed my routine and started to place a fresh patch on just before i go to sleep and Bingo! the patches work.

I don’t know whether this is purely a unique result worth something only to myself, but i thought it’s worth a mention.

And for me personally and EXTRA reason to give up smoking. any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mo

It’s interesting that you mentioned this :smile:
I once asked a man about this at one of the stores around here which sells mostly First Nation (Indian) souvenirs, tobacco and other herbs, etc. He told me that Tobacco was only smoked at important cerimonies by a select few people. If someone wanted to just have a smoke, with no special cerimony or anything going on, they’d smoke what is called K’nic K’nic (I don’t think I’ve spelled that correctly :shy: ), which is made of leaves from fruit plants (blueberries, bear berries), willow bark, and other things like that. The reason is because tobacco was a scared plant, only to be smoked at an important event.
So, I don’ know if it is any less harmful (I would think so since they didn’t add any chemicals to it), however it was smoked much less than people smoke cigarettes today.

Im sure we had that topic somwhere allready.Youre not only one experiencing such effects.But it seems it works better with people who dont smoke- if youre smoker and use patches the change is not so significiant.
good luck there:)

:hmmm: Jack, I beg to differ. I was a smoker for three years and recently quit, using the patch, as some of you know. The vividness of my dreams for the first few nights doubled, as did my recall.

Not at all. Before the forum rules changed, we were alowwed to talk about any substance we wanted, as long as it pertained to dreaming(will this thread stay…i wonder…). There were many threads on nicotine patches. It seems to have a GREAT effect on dreaming, but watch out, because although nicotine in itself is a fairly safe chemical(it is all the other stuff they put in cigarettes that kill people, not nicotine), it is the addictive chemical, so non-smokers who use the patch may become addicted. Watch out for yourslef. Know your body.

Try those patches. Stick one over each eye and ye can’t find your cigs!

My stepmother is using the Nicorette Inhalator to stop smoking. As far as I know she doesn’t smoke and hasn’t since before christmas. While I don’t think it’s working as a cure to the adiction, at least others don’t have to put up with the smell or passive smoking.

Ok.

But if for instanse there were lots off wars and peace.

hehe , the leader would HAVE TO bring peace cause he was addicted :grin:

Yes,we do agree.You have quit before applying the patches.All fine:)
I meant people who still smoke and even then use patches dreamwise.
Good luck:)

It sure aint healthy even in a peace pipe. But i think the dangers of smoking these days are severely overrated. It is definitely a very harmful addiction if you smoke everyday like most people do these days. One of the things that is most hyped up these days are passive smoking, which is mostly just bullshit propaganda from anti smokers. :grrr: They go as far as saying it is harmful to stand next to someone who smokes outside in the free! I feel sorry for the people who actually believe that crap.

Well seeing as it takes a long time for you to actual feel physical withdrawl symptoms if you dont have a ciggarette, it seems pretty pointless he isnt accomplishing anything except gettin paid off his book.

I smoke and I wish you luck on trying to quit. I have been toying with the idea lately basically because I feel I am becoming more and more dependant. But I really enjoy a nice ciggarette every now and then, I dont smoke that ■■■■ out of packs but I roll my own with premium tobacco. Those government issued cancer sticks taste like crap and they are worse for you. The tobacco I smoke isnt harmless but it isnt as bad.

If your refering to the tobacco that the native Americans would have been smoking, it actually isnt that bad. Its not healthy because no smoke in your lungs is healthy, but its not carcinogenic. All the really bad health problems are caused by all the fertilizers, pesticides and man made chemicals that go into ciggarettes. Thats what causes cancer.

I was wondering how you were doing with your quest DayLight? How are your efforts paying off? Are you in need of some more support?

I really hope all is going well for you and everyone else that has quit. I’m now bugging my sister, trying to get her to stop smoking cigarettes. We talk a lot and when she’s had a cigarette and talks, even if she’s chewing gum, her breath is unpleasant. Her hair and clothes smell and I realize now that it must have been the same for me.

Kudos for all the quitters, in this case.

I’ve started somking again. Not as much as before, and I’m going to take another stab at it very soon.

Well, I’m glad you are not smoking as much as you did before and I wish you luck on your next attempt.

You should move to the states. Tobacco is illegal here for anyone under 18. Maybe a run in with the law would help you quit plus no one would sell to you. Well, hope you quit soon.

F*** F*** F***!!! I’ve F******** Started again! It’s BS!!! It makes me so mad. After 2 months of cold turkey I lit one up and I’m hooked again! :cry: I don’t know what to do. I’ve smoked a pack in 2 days already!

Redifin, don’t give up. It just seems that you need more help than just going cold turkey.

What else can you try?

Ok, well first off, no matter what people might try and tell you this is definitely pretty much completely a psychological addiction, for you anyway. After 2 months any physical addiction should be gone. So don’t bother wasting money on nicotine patches or anything like that.

There are really only a few situations where its really important to keep up your will power. The main one is when you are at a shop which sells cigarettes, all it takes to overcome this obsatcle is one mintue of strong will power while you’re at the counter. The other situations are times where other people are smoking around you. You should let any of your friends that are smokers know that you’re trying to quit, and tell them to not ever offer you a cigarette again. If they start lighting one up near you, ask them not to or walk away for a moment.

Another thing you should is you find another, healthier habit to replace smoking, for example chewing gum or something. So every time you think about smoking, do whatever your new habit is instead.

And if you ever find yourself about to light another one up, before you do it, always remember to think about how guilty you’re going to feel afterwards.

Well I hope at least some of that will be of help to you. Good Luck! :smile:

yea that’s how I started again. Someone offered it to me. My hands started to shake…I hope I can quit soon. What about you Daylight? Any news?

I’m not smoking for 6 days…

i too am using patches (and gum) :cool_laugh: as help… and i do have excellent recall too, as was said…

i wonder if that’s 'cause of the patch or 'cause i stopped! (or both)

Haven’t quit yet. My girl is going to help me.