just an idea

well how would anyone be 100% sure unless they’ve tried? i’ve never ever heard of anyone who’s gotten to smart and their head has blown up…

No no…its mechanics.They built models to tell their abilities.Like for example the bridge- engineers can tell how much weight it can hold and so on.Same thing goes for machines.They count connections,speeds,possibilities.
So they built brain model and did all the counting basing on maths and phisics rules.
Im sorry im having problems explaining it right,i hope you got what i mean.

Let me just add that most respected scientists reject the idea that we only use 10% of our brains. Here’s an article about this myth:

csicop.org/si/9903/ten-percent-myth.html

both of your posts contradict each other. one of you says that we use 10-12%, but using more would “kill” us. the other says that we already use the full potential. which of you is the correct one? if we already use all of its potential…then why can we forget things? how do we keep learning things? i’m not trying to be rude or anything…these things just puzzle me.

I belive it’s possible. Look at all the things they said was impossible, but later on we did it. Science is just a thing that humans made up. There is so much we don’t know, and so much that we never will. Also look at cave men and us now. think of how much of our brain we used then. With this just think where we will be in the future. So the more evolution grows so will our minds.

Thank you dreamwalker, at least someone has an open mind about it besides me

I didn’t say I believe the scientific opinion on this matter, that we already use our full potential. I’m simply saying that the majority of scientists believe that the “10% story” is a myth and that they have good evidence for this at-first-sight.
Personally I don’t know what to believe. Actually it doesn’t really interests me which opinion holds more truth than the other. What matters to me is my own subjective personal experience. On this matter, I try not to follow people who say it HAS to be this explanation, or this one. I simply look at my own experiences.
If, at some day, I’ll have a absolutely mindblowing experience that could change my life, I’ll form my own conclusions. Nobody else has to translate that experience in my place.

understood understood, but i’m not saying it HAS to be one way or the other either. the whole thread is entitled just an idea. I don’t expect you to buy it, it was just something i started thinking about one day and posted, no offense intended mystic

Lol sorry if I sounded a bit… (what’s the term?) That wasn’t my intention :grin:

lol it’s cool :content:

if i would take a guess most of that 90% is our subconsiosness (or how its spelled) we can acces some of it when awake, but more when we are asleep. thats why we can get more info out of dreamcharacters then we already know…or we can hear music we never heard and so on.
so the question is ofcourse, how to acces this info during we are awake? going into trance, meditation? i dont know…

That sounds sensible to me…i’m guessing trance would be the easiest way to access the subconscious

ok i dont know if i missed somthing here but how do we know what using 100% ofour brains is like. i mean how whouldthey know if we were using all our brain power any way. it is easy to see if a car is using all its power, just push the acc. but then the car gives in. no fule. could we do this to a human? i think not. for one it is unethical nad two, in my opion impossible. humans stop when they think theyare at their limit but really they are no hwere near it. “we can go further after we say we cant than we know”.

People have had this dussicion so muh and i just dont see how they can say, this is the humans max brain power. ever one is diffrent so it isnt fair.

You probably mean…Ooh, what was it? On the tip of my toungue… Self-assembled systems. Yeah. Anyway, the whole 10% thing - I’m sure that’s bullshit (we are allowed to swear in here, aren’t we?). Our conscious minds take up 10% of the brain maybe, but we’re still using the rest. I think 90% of the brain is water or something, so maybe that’s how it started. I don’t know.

Slightly more on-topic - I think lucid dreaming (and all things similar) expand your conscious mind, or at least help you realize what’s going on in your subconscious.

water, um i dont think so, if it were when we are walking around wouldnt we hear it :content:

Richard

No, the thing with the water is right, however is it 90%? Maybe more like 80… When you dehydrate you get a headache, this is because parts of your brain start to dry out. I’m not sure why but maybe the braincells work so hard they use up a lot of water, so the 90 or 80 or whatever percent is like a reservior, waiting to be used up.

One interesting thing is that the percentage of water in our brains is very similar to the percentage of water on the planet…

As for how much of our brain we use, I have no experience in this field but here are some of my suggestions:

Maybe we are only capable of using 10% at one time?? We still use the whole brain, but at different times. Perhaps the subconscious needs 90% to work, otherwise we could overload our brain with too much information and get confused. Like feeding so much info to a computer until it crashes.

Again I am claiming no experience in neuro-psychology, these are just ideas and possibilities I have thought about. Another thing I have heard is that the 90% is used for psychic abilities. IMHO this is not impossible. My own thought on the matter is that we only need 10% to carry out bodily functions, monitor senses, do normal everyday tasks and feel emotions. Think about how people only seem to do the minumum amount of work they can, spending more time playing (i.e. in this context, playing with subconscious thoughts) The other 90 can be utilised, but we really cannot be bothered to use it.

Perhaps enlightenment includes this… using your full potential and making use of everything. In which case LD are an important step towards self-knowledge as they use your conscious mind in combintion with limitless imagination, helping you to use the rest of your mind. Sorry, brain.

I will stress again that I know NOTHING about this. These are just possibilities that make some sort of sense to me. By all means criticize what I have said. Only by careful thought and refining of ideas can we get close to the truth. I hope we get close soon.

Sam

Hate to be a downer, but Im pretty sure you use all of your brain:

https://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

Shade, You are right.
The whole 10% thing is a myth… :confused:

ok i am going to quote myself :content:

that pretty much sums up my point. how do they know we are using it all we got.

From the Snopes article:

1. Brain imaging research techniques such as PET scans (positron emission tomography) and fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) clearly show that the vast majority of the brain does not lie fallow. Indeed, although certain minor functions may use only a small part of the brain at one time, any sufficiently complex set of activities or thought patterns will indeed use many parts of the brain. Just as people don’t use all of their muscle groups at one time, they also don’t use all of their brain at once. For any given activity, such as eating, watching television, making love, or reading, you may use a few specific parts of your brain. Over the course of a whole day, however, just about all of the brain is used at one time or another.

2. The myth presupposes an extreme localization of functions in the brain. If the “used” or “necessary” parts of the brain were scattered all around the organ, that would imply that much of the brain is in fact necessary. But the myth implies that the “used” part of the brain is a discrete area, and the “unused” part is like an appendix or tonsil, taking up space but essentially unnecessary. But if all those parts of the brain are unused, removal or damage to the “unused” part of the brain should be minor or unnoticed. Yet people who have suffered head trauma, a stroke, or other brain injury are frequently severely impaired. Have you ever heard a doctor say, “. . . But luckily when that bullet entered his skull, it only damaged the 90 percent of his brain he didn’t use”? Of course not.

That’s how they know.