A 100 Year Dream

I have heard it is possible to imagine yourself being in your LD for weeks, or years. I heard that you can sort of make your dream self “speed up” and your physical self “slow down” so dreams can last much longer…

Is this true? Does it work? It sounds like fun.

People have had dreams that lasted for a long time and didn’t seem to take place in realtime. I don’t think anyone is sure of the mechanics of it though.

It’s not scientifically verified, but I’ve seen many claims of such dreams. I believe it’s possible myself. I imagine it’s some combination of the brain operating faster and the mind pulling tricks to make it seem like more time has passed than it really has. Or maybe the brain doesn’t operate faster, but you achieve a mental state of time dilation in which you actually perceive time to be slower.

I’ve seen mention of a man named Robert Monroe having experienced an OBE that seemed to last 100 years. I haven’t read his firsthand account, so I don’t know any more details. In addition, in EWLD someone wrote about a lucid dream he had that took place over 5 years (dream years, of course). He said he would actually fall asleep within the dream and “wake up” still in it, once again lucid.

This website also cites relevant experiments done through hypnosis: braincourse.com/timea.html

Again, this isn’t a scientifically documented phenomenon, so all we have to go on is anecdotal evidence and alleged experiments. It’s certainly fun to think about, though! :happy:

This topic has been discussed here a few times before. The search function doesn’t seem to be working properly, so I can’t find some of the topics, but here is one of them: https://community.ld4all.com/t/slowing-down-time-in-lucidity/8992

I remember having an epic dream, where I was a totally different person, living in a different family, fighting a war or something like that. It was a dream that lasted for years and when it was at the end I cried for some stupid reason of my other-self. When I woke up, I realised, I had cried IRL. :content:

I’ve experienced this in a normal dream actually. It wasn’t in the amount of time you are describing, but it was well past the REM time. Two days in a dream, and in all that time, I didn’t do one RC!

offtopic Mad Hatter, I love your username. Yay for Alice In Wonderland usernames!offtopic

ontopicI swear that I’ve had dreams that lasted a week. I don’t know about 100 years, but your 8 hours or so of sleep can be stretched out to a lot longer.ontopic

Haha! yes! Go Alice In Wonderland usernames!
…back to topic, I think I saw a topic by Bendrummin about how to extend dreamtime. I also remember reading about a guy who claimed to have been lucid for 100 years. Of course, I can’t find that article now… I think the general consensus is that it is possible though. I think thats probably because most dreamers have experienced it.

Thanks guys…I just get so frustrated on school mornings, it seems like I haven’t gotten enough sleep when I have to get up at 6:30 am. Maybe if I had really long several-day dreams, I would feel more rested…I dunno, just a theory.

I think extending dream time needs no scientific explantation. In your mind, everything is possible. It’s just your mind.

The REM stage lasts, at its longest, about 60 minutes (12 at its shortest).

There are different theories on how dreams move faster then reality (or become longer). One is that your brain omits certian portions of the dream to make it feal longer. Another is that you are dreaming really fast in reality, but your dream makes it seem like normal speed.

Oh, I thought that REM started at 5 minutes and worked up to 30…hehe…oops.

EDIT: I just saw an article, it starts out at a few minutes and works its way up to 60.

How about if you have like a lot of dreams at the same time all on the same story at different times in the story wich are organised to be remembered in sequence. with film style tricks laced with false memories and a general distortion of time perception.
There is a japanese horror movie called “Long dream” wich is about a special kind of long dreams. You might want to check it out.

There’s no such thing as time.

At present, the best way to find out is to experience it yourself :tongue: .

In my oppinion, when you wake up after a really long dream, I think it’s best to go over the whole dream and see if there are any missing parts or skipped scenes that might have made your dream longer.

Ok, I’ll try to do it myself…yes I’ve also heard that time is not a real thing but a concept made up by people, but I haven’t thought about it. Well, I’m still trying to figure out the best way for me to have LDs because it seems much harder now than my first time…My first LD actually didn’t use any methods that I’ve heard of so it’s weird. Well thanks guys for all you help!

I think the brain is far too complicated to have you notice all the dropped bits. Remember a lengthy conversation you had with someone. Can you remember all of it, at full length? I’ve had conversations that lasted an hour but were mostly smalltalk and unimportant stuff, and what I can remember from them wouldn’t be enough to fill five minutes. But I know how long it actually went, because it felt so long at the time and because I looked at the clock. Now, in a dream, you might have five minutes of conversation, have them in realtime, but they might feel really long. You’d have no way of telling if you talked one hour or five minutes in the dream, because you can’t remember all the actual words.

Just an example how the brain might simulate really long dreams. Nothing is left away, and nothing runs faster in your mind than in the outside world. It just feels longer.

Phew! Thanks for revealing that. Now when my boss tells me that I’m late for work, I can just grin smugly and reply, “How can I be? There’s no such thing as time.” This is going to help out so much! You’re a life-saver. :grin:

Of course there’s time. And while the rate at which time passes seems to be relative to physical parameters such as speed, very little progress would be made in society if people didn’t accept the fact that time passes on this planet with plainly observable and measurable consistency. All events take a certain amount of time to unfold, and actions that take place in a dream are still bound by this rule. The mind may employ tricks to make it seem as though more events are happening in the dream than real-world time would normally allow for, but there must still be a limit to the number of actions and events that your unconscious mind can simulate within the time that you’re asleep.

Besides, has anybody considered the psychological impact of having a dream that lasted 100 years? That’s longer than most people’s lifetimes on this planet. Waking up after experiencing an entire “lifetime within a lifetime” would be a shock that I’d wager you simlpy wouldn’t ever recover from. For a moment, let’s pretend that you’re 40 years old. You have a wife/husband, a number of friends, a house, a job… everything that constitutes an active life. Now imagine waking up one morning and realizing that you’re still 20 years old, and that everything you just experienced for the second half of your life was simply a dream. Could you resume your life as it was when you were 20? Would you want to?

Now multiply that by 5, and try to imagine how traumatized you’d be after waking up and discovering that none of the last 100 years were real. Lucid or otherwise, you would have established and become accustomed to so many things in the dream, that it would be devastating to suddenly lose them. Your dream powers, which you’ve used for a hundred years, no longer work. You’re bound once more by the laws of physics, even though you’ve spent about 80% of your life in a realm where you could do anything you liked.

I accept that dreams can appear to last a length of time that’s disproportional to the number of hours that you slept. But it’s all tricks, and it isn’t really “free” time. As fun as it is to speculate on the idea of extending your life by cheating the system and gaining a bunch of extra time from your dreams, it just doesn’t make sense. Not in my humble opinion, at least.

^^^ I agree. I’m glad you posted that, because now I don’t have to. :smile::stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe thats why people go to live on the tops of mountains. They’ve already lived their lives in dreams. I still like the idea of extending dreams to have time to do fun stuff, perhaps not to that extreme, but I think the perceived extra time would be worth it. Although the shock upon waking would be rather traumatic, you don’t have to worry, because you can go back to that life you were just living.