Browser war ;p

I’ve been browsing the web since 96 or 97 and gone through so many browsers, early navigator/opera/IE, lynx/links/elinks, firefox and newer IE/Opera… :smile:
So which browser am I using today, Opera. I wont use IE for several reasons, and although firefox is nice and feels good to use it has some speed issues on certain areas (slightly evident on “back/forward”, very evident in beginning of file downloads…)

So, Go Opera! :ok:

I used to use Internet Explorer but after trying out FireFox I’ll never go back. With all the tabs, and extensions, like Stumble Upon, I am now a 100% Firefox Junkie. Never tried Opera but I think I’ll stick to FireFox

Firefox is definitely a great browser, and has many more features than IE6. But for the sake of bringing people back down to Earth for a moment, it’s certainly not the second coming of Jesus in software form as a lot of people will have you think. Firefox is actually one of the least efficient browsers available, in terms of memory usage and loading times. It has vulnerabilities just like everything else (including 2 critical flaws that have been unfixed as of 2004), and seems to crash just as often if not more so than IE.

Check out Firefox Myths for more info. The movement of dedicated individuals praising FF as the greatest browser on the planet are in actuality just fanatics who are unwilling to compare these applications on an equal playing field.

Initially, part of FF’s apparent security was merely the result of its obscurity in the browser market. Fewer people used it, so fewer hackers wrote exploits for it. This doesn’t mean the code was more stable and more secure than IE’s. Now that FF has reached 10% of the public, we’re starting to see a lot of very serious flaws with it. To all FF users, notice how the browser is updating itself every other day now? Yeah… there’s a lot that suddenly needs fixing.

All independent studies invariably arrive at the conclusion that Opera is the best all-round browser. It’s much faster, uses less memory, is typically more stable, is much more secure, and by default includes many of the features that FF makes available through plug-ins. It even supports Torrent downloads natively. And, best of all, it’s now 100% free (as opposed to being ad-supported, as previous versions were).

Don’t get me wrong, though. I still use Firefox, simply because that’s what I’m used to. I have Opera installed as well, but I find I’m just not familiar enough with its interface, history system, bookmark system and general behaviour, so it’s much easier for me to continue using FF. I just wanted to point out that this is a deeper issue than a lot of people would have you believe, and Firefox, while a very adequate browser, certainly does have its fair share of faults.

So Opera is also the fastest one, besides the best one?
Then I have NOTHING to worry about! :colgate:

EDIT: I forgot to mention the unlimited simultaneous downloads allowed by Opera against the maximum of 2 supported by IE.
I also forgot to mention widgets! What are they? They can be anything. Really.

Opera has 0 unpatched areas, and 0 security holes, while IE has 18 of them.

That is…0 that you know of. There may be some yet to be discovered, but it still shows it is much more secure than IE.

Found that 0 on Firefox Myths and on a widget. 0 that you know of, other browsers have dozens that they know of.
Yeah, Opera’s safer.

Opera FTW!

As of now, I’m currently posting this from a gasp Opera browser. I never said that I though FireFox was the greatest browser ever, just that I used it. After seeing all of you go on about the greatness of Opera, I had to give it a try myself. :colgate:

It’s a very nice browser, and also noticably faster than FF.

Go Opera! :yay:

[BB edit]I also noticed that size one print is now visable without copy/pasting! That takes away from the mystery. :tongue:[/BB edit]

If you can’t read this, you’re not using Opera!

Check out some widgets then (V9.0+). (Widgets > Add Widgets…)

Has anybody tried the beta of FireFox 2.0? It has a few new features, including a built-in spell checker.

A spell checker doesn’t sound like a necessity, and it shall rather take some RAM memory for nothing really most of the time.

I wonder how long it will take until Firefox and Opera make it to Microsoft’s level of software bloating. Nice features are, well, nice—but both sofware have inbuilt expansion systems, by which a spell checker could be installed. So an inbuilt spell checker sounds to me like one less reason to support Firefox, actually.

Oh, and by the way… I’m posting this from Opera. So far so good, but I can’t get used to many of its features, so I might be migrating back to Firefox. I miss the good, old, 100%–hackeable Firebird. It was so opensource you could actually open its files on notepad, change them, restart the program and it would be updated. That was awesome.

Opera was always slower for me, but I did use about:config to speed up firefox to work better with my system.

I like the BBcode plugin for firefox. To auto format text and stuff. You can add custom ones with it too, so for those who use the DJ codes for ND/LD etc can add those.

Never bothered with the spell checker.

I use Internet Explorer for Ld4all and Ytmnd. The rest of the time I pretty much use firefox. It has been my experience that firefox is great for pretty much anything that only involves text/images. I have all the plugins but it still messed up with anything else. IE for life.

I recently decided to start using my old laptop (300 MHZ processor and 97MB memory) for school. It doesn’t run FireFox too well, so I decided to go with a text-based browser, Links2. If you guys want the fastest, least bloated browser; this is it.

I use IE 7. The only reason why i use IE is because thats the first browser I started using years ago. If i started out on firefox, then I’m sure that would be my browser of choice today.

I guess it just feels funny to me when i use a browser that i’m not used to using. For the record, I also have Opera and firefox but hardly ever use them. Like I said, other browsers just dont feel “right” although the other browsers do more than my IE :content:

safari… I love it :grin: it spell checks as you type
for windows however firefox is by far my favorite.

in safari i downloaded a file i hit 750kbps. :cool_laugh: it was GREAT

Firefox 2 has that ability, you need to install a dictionary of your choice though. But once you have your chosen dictionary it will spell check as you type, much like Word does. :content:

I just installed firefox2
it does spell check :grin: awesome

firefox is the best!!

konqueror is still my favorite browser. Too bad it only exist for KDE.