The BIG "Was this a LD?" topic - Part V

I recall a dream from a few years ago, mightve been around age 11,12, something like that. It’s been a while, but i remember this:

I was having a nightmare, and somehow realized i was dreaming, and yelled at myself “WAKE UP” about 5 or 6 times. After the last one, it was like being pulled through a wind tunnel, right back into my body.

Would this be classified as a lucid dream? I ask this because i left the dream instead of staying in the dream state.

If you realized you were dreaming, it was a lucid dream. You don’t have to do anything special (ex. control your surroundings) or even stay in the dream in order for it to be considered a lucid dream.

What you had was a DILD, because you realized you were dreaming in the middle of the dream.

I’ve reasearched this a bit but thought I should ask the experts. I believe I have had some experience with lucid dreaming; I’ll do my best to explain what I’m talking about.

I’m at the point now where I can almost tell myself that I’m going to have a lucid dream and it’ll happen that night. I don’t call it that but it’s more of a technique I apply as I am falling asleep.

Essentially as I am trying to fall asleep I try to “push” myself away from my body, as if I am reaching for the area outside of my physical form. It’s hard to explain. But as I do this things begin to tingle. At some point a transition occurs and I feel myself being “yanked” out of my body. That is how I know the dream state has begun.

At this point I have some control over myself and the environment; for example, I can run, then leap, and fly around, sometimes through locations that I know (based on memory, so it’s not always accurate) and other times in places that I’ve never been (eg. space). It’s always first-person perspective, for example, in a previous experience I attempted to move my feet as if I were doing some sort of shuffle and I was able to “look down” at my feet to see this.

During these experiences, I can still pick up on audio in my bedroom. For example, if I have the radio on, I can still hear it but it will be somewhat muffled or distorted. Same goes if there is a storrm outside and the rain is hitting the window.

For the most part these dreams have been short but positive experiences. Often I get so excited about the “cool” aspect of what I’m doing that I guess I lose my concentration and wake up (and become very disappointed!).

However, on at least two occasions, something has happened that freaks me out and I wake up immediately: One time, as I was feeling the pull away from my physical form, I felt as though arms grabbed me from behind, pulling me downwards as if I was no longer in control. The second time, I heard maniacal laughter coming from behind my head (in this dream I was still lying in my bed).

So is the above lucid dreaming?

I know this post is long but I thought I should also mention that I believe I’ve had about a half a dozen sleep paralysis events. During these, I believe I am awake (first perspective, as if I’m lying in my bed) but I cannot move. Also, it feels as though there is a constant wind travelling along my body, much like a series of waves crashing onto the shoreline. These events are usually short because I panic and have to yell or make some other noise to “wake me up” out of this state.

Sorry for the long message! Your feedback is appreciated!

Brad

Well, everything you’ve described seems to have been either a lucid dream (a WILD, to be specific) or not a dream at all. Dunno what the non-dream stuff is, but it’s probably some form of hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations.

The first experances would be out of body experances, which depending on your point of view are just one sort of lucid dream, or something totaly different more in the direction of astral travel.
The simple definition of lucid dreaming is “knowing that your dreaming while you are dreaming”. There is a lot of variation in how lucid you are though, you could know that you are dreaming but not be able to do what you want, or the dream may be unclear. These things are taken as signs that it is a low level LD. If the dream is very clear, and you have compleat control, then it is a high level LD.
As notstevejobs said, the last thing is SP with HH. It is quite normal, and a sign that you are falling asleep while still being aware of what is happening. This is what you try to do when you WILD. It is also what people experance when they are trying to have an OOBE.
Hope this helps.
don

Sounds like Astral Projection to me.

You are exiting your physical body, while concsious, with your astral body.

Keep it up, you will learn and experience a lot.

Sounds like lucid dreaming. If you were out of your body and off somewhere you wouldn’t hear the radio in your room would you?

Yes you would. I’ve astralled many times and can hear the things happening around me in the physical world.
You can still feel, smell, and hear things while in the astral body, you are not “disconnected” from the physical. You are simply using another level of conciousness while your physical body sleeps.

So you are using a different level of consciousness. But the idea is that this consciousness is outside of the body? Does that mean you have dual consciousness?
You’ll have to excuse me I’m a sceptic, Just trying to get a grip on the concept. I thought you were suppsed to not be aware of your physical body and such. Silver cord and all. one is off on a different plane of existance. Does the body send the sensory input through the cord? Or have I got the concept all wrong?

If you knew that you were dreaming, then you definitely had a lucid dream.

I have had this happening quite a few time myself. It was frightning in the beginning, but then i learned to ignore it as i know it is not real. This usually happen for me when i am in SP right before i enter a dream or right after i woke up from one.

You can have dual concsiousness, yes, that is what it is (somewhat), although it actually is possible to be concsious of up to all of your subtle bodies, at once (dont know what subtle bodies are? look em up).
The silver chord, from what I have read and experienced, is only a mental thought, it is not really there. It simply represents the “link” from the astral body to the physical body. There is a link, it is not specifically in the form of a silver chord however we can perceive it that way.

Your concept is not so much, wrong. You will only lose 100% feeling to your physical body when you depart it completely (and die), not while in another body, such as the astral body.

[mod]
In this topic, you can ask if a dream was lucid, and tell why you wonder if it was lucid or not. Other topics asking if a dream was a LD will be merged there.

This is part V of the topic.
Part I of this topic can be found here.
Part II of this topic can be found here.
Part III of this topic can be found here.
Part IV of this topic can be found here.
[/mod]

RULE No. 1

If you know that you are dreaming, you are having a lucid dream.

Lol! When I’ll split the topic, I’ll surely make this post the 1st one. :happy:

Anyway, welcome to the forum chickensam! :wave: And congrats on your lucid dream! :clap:

haha, thanks :content:

Thanks alot Basilus West! :content: I think I’ll count it as an LD- my LD count is hopeless, so adding it on will atleast do something good :grin:

lol. That made my day. :gni:

FINALLY I think that I’ve had my first lucid dreams, although they were small…

My first: I was in a glow-in-the-dark room. My best friend’s mom was there, when randomly I realised that I was dreaming, so I decided, “I won’t try to hard. I’ll just do something simple.” So I concentrated very hard on making her mother smile. And when I finally did, I thought, “Okay, that’s enough for one night.” and went on with my dream.

Second: I was in a drive in theatre. For some reason, when the credits started rolling I realised that it was a dream, and tried very hard to make something come up on my screen, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t do it… =(

I understand how udderly annoying it must be for veterans such as you to answer questions to newcomers such as I, but I needed to know if they were lucid dreams or not. If so, it would help me.

yup, 2 LD’s, congratulations :yay:

the fact that you couldn’t control anything doesn’t mean it wasn’t a lucid dream. keep it up :smile:

I wanted to know, I always dream and sometimes i become kind of lucid but i dont do anything cause i cant tell if they it is a dream or not. I have never tried to have a lucid dream and i have had around 5 this year and until the beging of this year i found out about lucid is it normal to have lucid dreams without knowing they can happen

I was quite ill last night so I made no attempts of WILD. I fell into a dream quite fast. It was like my normal dreams in 1st person, with no attempts of a RC. Strangely, a while through my dream it switched to 3rd person with me watching over it. I was still in my dream, though I was watching myself. While I was in 3rd person I could control everything that was happening in my dream. Still, I didn’t realise it was a dream. I’m not sure if this classes at a LD or not. I kept switching between 1st and 3rd, only being able to control it in 3rd. It was really strange. Any suggestions? :confused:

In my opinion, I think it was an LD. I’ve only had a few 3rd person but they were not a LD or at least if they were I dont remember.They were when I was a young like 7