Lifting weights in dreams

Last night I had a really vivid dream I had gotten a bowflex for my birthday and I was working out on it for a while then I woke up, and I was sore like I had worked out the day before, but I havnt worked out for about 2 weeks even and right now as I type this I am still sore and in the spots I worked in the dream (pecs, biceps/triceps and my traps) so my question is, wtf?

It could be that the soreness cause the dream right?

The mind does strange things :universe:

yeah that makes sense, except I wasnt sore in the slightest before going to bed.

Could be that your SC mistook the dream for reality and released lactic acid into the limbs you “worked out”

It shouldn’t last as long as normal soreness, however, because in normal exercise, the top layer of muscle tears, and then doubles, which causes muscle growth. Once the acid drains, you should feel fine.

Never actually heard of this happening, but that’s my best guess.

Maybe you were doing exercises in your sleep. I’ve heard of people eating in their sleep, even having sex in their sleep, just like sleepwalking, so why not exercising?

Firstly, Thai Boxer has a cool idea, but it is most definitely wrong. During excercise lactic acid is produced in the muscles (incomplete decomposition of glucose), and the body must strive to rid itself of it.

The two theories that make sense, are stormthunder’s and krakatoa’s.

If you were excercising the day before you would be unlikely to go to bed sore. However you would wake up sore. (Side note to athletes here, if you excercise during the day, you should static stretch before you go to sleep). The excercise-themed dream would be related to the day’s activities.

If not, then krakatoa’s idea might work. If muscles were beng tensed up then tehy would actually be excercising.